Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Front Page Story by "Angie"

Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front Page Story by "Angie"

Originally Posted by steve666
OK, apologize, just saw your name and London so jumped to conclusions, as you do.
She sounded angry actually, look at her text mistakes, written very quickly I'd say, maybe something had just happened that made her snap and write that. In her defence humans are like that
C'mon you crowd in Canada land, wake up, get out of your pits and put your P'neth in.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon you crowd in Canada land, wake up, get out of your pits and put your P'neth in.

Sorry no time. Just finished one of my 3 jobs and about to start another one.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Sorry no time. Just finished one of my 3 jobs and about to start another one.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

kduk2191 will become famous soon enough

Why ? So many people seem to have an unrealistic expectation of life in a new country. Not only all us lot trying to get to Canada, look at those off to Spain, yes we've got all the permits, use our solicitors, you can trust us - not ! sitting on your pile of rubble.I don't care where you go, life will still be life. Same bills, mortgage, cars to run etc... I never travelled to country yet where they think their politicians are honest upstanding citizens !, getting up to go to work and on.

For us it will afford the opportunity of affording a better home with some land and have a bit of a go at the good life. You'd need £500,000 + to get that here in Devon.

Plus anyone who describes Canada as a third world country is a bit mad arn't they !

kduk
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:58 am
Just Joined

sal30 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=cynthia2373;4566309]Here http://britishexpats.com/

I agree, it's a very opinionated one sided article. I'd never have thought of Canada as third world myself, of course customs are going to be different but isn't that one of the reasons for moving?

Wonder if it will put many people off?[/QUOTE

hi, we are looking at moving over to canada and the story hasnt put me off at all, like what the people are saying we want to move for the change i cant see the point in moving if you want everything to stay as it was at home. we are hoping for a better family life which i think england is losing touch on
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:59 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

It should also be pointed out that 'Angie' says she paid $46,000 in fees buying and selling 3 houses, in Britain if you did the same would cost the same kind of money Estate Agent fees, Stamp duty, Solicitors.
She does not explain why she had to buy 3????

As far as I am concerned Canada has a big banner saying 'buyer beware' on it and anyone considering such a huge move should go in with eyes wide open. which is why most of us are on here doing research.

The article does not bother me as I am realistic about Canada and about what I hope to gain from moving to Canada, in a lot of ways it will be same sh1t, different place.....go to work, pay bills, eat food, kids to school etc....

Difference, a different quality to life, less yobs, and wonderful scenery.

Might have to keep OH a way from the article though, he'll panic.

Charlie
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by purple80
It should also be pointed out that 'Angie' says she paid $46,000 in fees buying and selling 3 houses, in Britain if you did the same would cost the same kind of money Estate Agent fees, Stamp duty, Solicitors.
She does not explain why she had to buy 3????

As far as I am concerned Canada has a big banner saying 'buyer beware' on it and anyone considering such a huge move should go in with eyes wide open. which is why most of us are on here doing research.

The article does not bother me as I am realistic about Canada and about what I hope to gain from moving to Canada, in a lot of ways it will be same sh1t, different place.....go to work, pay bills, eat food, kids to school etc....

Difference, a different quality to life, less yobs, and wonderful scenery.

Might have to keep OH a way from the article though, he'll panic.

Charlie
On a more mundane note Charlie, you're avatar's not there.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, given the apparent 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' hiring culture, I wouldn't want to be moving to Canada if I didn't either know people there or have a job arranged. That to me, does seem rather reminiscent of a third world nation... even my Canadian girlfriend complains about the difficulty of getting jobs when so many people will only hire those they already know. Compared to the UK where I just send my CV to an agency and have interviews a few days later the whole thing seems really inefficient.

However, right now I'd be happy to get a low-paid job and live in a hut in the woods with the bears; but I don't think my girlfriend would approve .
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:34 pm

On a more mundane note Charlie, you're avatar's not there.
What do you mean avatars not there????

Am i having a blonde moment???
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
To be honest, given the apparent 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' hiring culture, I wouldn't want to be moving to Canada if I didn't either know people there or have a job arranged. That to me, does seem rather reminiscent of a third world nation... even my Canadian girlfriend complains about the difficulty of getting jobs when so many people will only hire those they already know. Compared to the UK where I just send my CV to an agency and have interviews a few days later the whole thing seems really inefficient.

However, right now I'd be happy to get a low-paid job and live in a hut in the woods with the bears; but I don't think my girlfriend would approve .
It's an interesting thing that everybody complains of prospective employers in Canada not bothering to respond and how difficult it is to get a foot in the door.
My eldest has been looking for a job now for several weeks to earn some pennies before we get to Canada, he has phoned round all the usual places, Argos, Tesco, Local garden centres, local ice rink etc and received at least 4 application forms yet nobody has bothered to come back to him since he filled them out and returned them.
He has phoned the local rink 3 times now and can never get to speak with the right person and he has sent an e mail yet still no response, yet when he was there on Friday evening the jobs he applied for were still advertised on their noticeboard.
He's now got a job which was offered to him as he had been recommended by someone the owner knew, so it seems that networking is still important even in the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by purple80
What do you mean avatars not there????

Am i having a blonde moment???
He means the little picture underneath your name!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:44 pm

Yeah, I realised that eventually, I can see it????
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the picture too, no idea why others can't.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:53 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

It's their story and if it make's them feel better where's the harm? My cousin's working two jobs so maybe there is some truth, I think it's beneficial to hear the bad with the good.

Like another poster said fore warned and all that!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I can see the picture too, no idea why others can't.
I can't see it either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.