Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Friends Needed in Ontario

Friends Needed in Ontario

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:19 am
Disneys

Default Friends Needed in Ontario

I understand that you need a postal address for your PR card after landing in Canada for the first time.

We just got our visa's with only 7 weeks on them before they expire, I'm sure someone at CIC made a mistake there, as everyone else seems to get 9 months.

Has anyone else a COPR visa issued shorter than this?

Anyway, from what I read and understand, we plan to come for a "holiday" for week, do the necessary paperwork, and return to the UK, until we can get everything in order to return permanently.

Only thing is we need a friends address, and we don't have any friends in Canada. Does anyone in Ontario want to be our friends?

If we can do things this way, I think we can return to canada at anytime, providing we have at least 730 days left in the first 5 year period.

Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friends Needed in Ontario

Originally Posted by Disneys
I understand that you need a postal address for your PR card after landing in Canada for the first time.
You understand wrong. No need to give address for PR card when you land, just let them know an address when you have one through the Website or 800 number.

http://services3.cic.gc.ca/coa/onlin...nguage=english

Expiry date for visa depends on medical date for expiration if I recall correctly.

There are a whole bunch of people who have come and done the paperwork stuff, and then returned later on.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 29th 2005 at 12:50 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 3:08 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

When we came to Canada for our "pre-week" in 1999, I set up a Mail Boxes Etc. Address box and it was accepted as a normal address. I was able to open a bank account, get a cell phone, etc, when we came a few weeks later "full time".
Just don't tell anyone it's a mailbox and you'll be OK.
Worked for us.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 3:46 pm
Disneys

Originally Posted by pdarwin
When we came to Canada for our "pre-week" in 1999, I set up a Mail Boxes Etc. Address box and it was accepted as a normal address. I was able to open a bank account, get a cell phone, etc, when we came a few weeks later "full time".
Just don't tell anyone it's a mailbox and you'll be OK.
Worked for us.
Thanks Peter, I thought of this, but thought that it wouldn't be accepted. Any more information on this would be greatly appreciated, such as how I arrange one of these, where do you pick up the mail from, can you re route the mail the UK (we might not return for sometime), Costs? etc...

Many Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:04 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I just called in at a MBE shop in Ottawa and set it up straight away. The address looked like a street address: Suite 150, Fifth Ave., Ottawa.
I seem to think it cost C$ 48 per quarter-year, but can't remember for sure.
Yes, they forwarded mail to me in Europe for a while. It costs for that, but not overly expensive. I lived in a hotel downtown for 3 months when I first got here, before my wife joined me, and used the MBE box for my permanent address all that time. Just walked down to the MBE shop twice a week and picked up my mail. Had the address printed on my resume, used it for two bank accounts, credit card, etc.
Easy.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

I am a bit confused now (again!) We have just had our PPRs, medicals were taken in May 2005. When we get our visas, will they only be valid until the year is up after the medicals ?(ie. May 2006)
Also,we are planning to land in March 2006 and then have to come back to the UK to sell house etc. What happens when we eventually move out there? Do we have to tell anyone official, or can we just come and go as we please?
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:22 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Your visa will be valid till May 2006.
You can land in March and go back to the UK straight away, to sell house etc. You don't have to tell anyone when you're moving over for good, and you're free to come and go as you please, as long as you meet the 730 days-rule. (730 days spent in Canada the last 5 years.)

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
I am a bit confused now (again!) We have just had our PPRs, medicals were taken in May 2005. When we get our visas, will they only be valid until the year is up after the medicals ?(ie. May 2006)
Also,we are planning to land in March 2006 and then have to come back to the UK to sell house etc. What happens when we eventually move out there? Do we have to tell anyone official, or can we just come and go as we please?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Your visa will be valid till May 2006.
You can land in March and go back to the UK straight away, to sell house etc. You don't have to tell anyone when you're moving over for good, and you're free to come and go as you please, as long as you meet the 730 days-rule. (730 days spent in Canada the last 5 years.)
Thanks for that. I may be rather dense, but if after we land, we come and go as we please, who keeps a record of how long we've spent in Canada to fulfil the PR requirements?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:17 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for that. I may be rather dense, but if after we land, we come and go as we please, who keeps a record of how long we've spent in Canada to fulfil the PR requirements?
Its up to you to prove the fulfilment of the PR requirement.

PMM
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You might come and go as you please, but you PP, drivers license, number plate etc etc is scanned each time. Draw your own conclusions what they do with the info.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:03 pm
Disneys

Originally Posted by iaink
You might come and go as you please, but you PP, drivers license, number plate etc etc is scanned each time. Draw your own conclusions what they do with the info.
Thanks for everyones help and Ideas, We have found some friends of freinds in Toronto, but might take up the idea one person posted of the mail box idea, (thank you).

We booked our flights today to New York, From London. Return tickets for 4 people, a very reasonable £750 inc all taxes and booking fee's etc... with Virgin.

We fly out Mid January, to do the necessary paperwork, and then intend to return in the summer.

Thanks for everyone help.