British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Friendlier Candians in which province (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/friendlier-candians-province-834339/)

Irishlady May 20th 2014 1:02 pm

Friendlier Candians in which province

Hello guys,

Where do you reckon the friendliest Canadians live? In which province?

Thanks,
Louise

Jingsamichty May 20th 2014 1:20 pm

Re: Friendlier Candians in which province

When I lived in Calgary, on one side of us was a couple that we never spoke to - hardly saw, in fact - in 2 years. They used to drive up, open their automatic garage door and disappear inside, never to be seen again.

On the other side was a very friendly Syrian family who had been in Canada since the 1960s. The husband was a jolly, friendly type and the wife made fantastic Arabic bread in the garage and used to give us some.

So, clearly the answer is Alberta, but only those on your right hand side. Who come from Syria.

Oakvillian May 20th 2014 1:24 pm

The friendliest Canadians I know live in Ontario. But that's hardly surprising, as that's also where I live. There are also some unfriendly Canadians here. One of them swore at me, once. So perhaps, on reflection, Ontario is not the most friendly province.

I've heard great things about the friendly qualities of Canadians in Nunavut. I strongly suggest the OP takes a trip to Iqaluit to sample the friendliness for herself.

What a ridiculous question.

Teaandtoday5 May 20th 2014 1:38 pm

I don't think it's ridiculous. But I don't think anyone coming to Canada needs to worry as the personality assessment in the immigration process will assign you to the correct province for your level of friendliness.

SchnookoLoly May 20th 2014 1:46 pm

You could make a hilarious "which province should you live in" decision tree with this.
Should everyone be forced to speak one language?
|-------------------------------------------------|
Yes--------------------------------------------No
|-------------------------------------------------|
VIVE LE QUEBEC.------------------------Go anywhere else.

Atlantic Xpat May 20th 2014 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11267943)
When I lived in Calgary, on one side of us was a couple that we never spoke to - hardly saw, in fact - in 2 years. They used to drive up, open their automatic garage door and disappear inside, never to be seen again.

On the other side was a very friendly Syrian family who had been in Canada since the 1960s. The husband was a jolly, friendly type and the wife made fantastic Arabic bread in the garage and used to give us some.

So, clearly the answer is Alberta, but only those on your right hand side. Who come from Syria.

*Important question: You say righthand side, is that looking at your house from the road, or sitting in your house looking out?*

Irishlady May 20th 2014 1:58 pm

Nice to know that there are lots of idiots and thick ignorant people in Canada (and in this forum as well) LOL

SchnookoLoly May 20th 2014 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Irishlady (Post 11268038)
Nice to know that there are lots of idiots and thick ignorant people in Canada (and in this forum as well) LOL

It's not so much being thick and/or ignorant, it's that it's entirely subjective. It's not like you have all the grumpy people congregate in one city, and anything anyone WOULD say would be entirely generalising.

I also live in Oakville, Ontario and find it very friendly. It's a typical suburban community, lots of families, lots of kids in community programs, a generally good town set of recreational activities (swimming, sports, classes, etc etc etc). However I have met some people who are grumpy/snobby/entitled. Overall I find it friendly, but others may not. I've heard that Newfoundland is a very friendly province, but again, just depends what you experience when you go out there. Generally speaking, Canada is known as being friendly and welcoming and warm. So it really just depends. There isn't one black and white answer to this.

Irishlady May 20th 2014 2:44 pm

Schnookololy,

Thanks so much for this honest and polite reply!

I agree with you, you can find all types of people everywhere.

I did hear from my Canadian friends though that Canadians in the East (Newfoundland and Nova Scotia) were friendlier.

Atlantic Xpat May 20th 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Irishlady (Post 11268128)
Schnookololy,

I did hear from my Canadian friends though that Canadians in the East (Newfoundland and Nova Scotia) were friendlier.

'Lard 'tunderin jaysus missus, da by's from da Rock are da best kind of people. Sure, and you being from the old country, you'll feel right at home. Luh."

Jingsamichty May 20th 2014 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 11268021)
*Important question: You say righthand side, is that looking at your house from the road, or sitting in your house looking out?*

A good question, and on reflection, I have reached the conclusion that it is not so much the side that is important, i.e. left or right, but rather the amiability of the occupants of the house to either the left or the right if looking from the road, or the right or the left if looking out from one's house. To wit, it is neither the leftness nor the rightness of the neighbour that determines the friendliness of the province, it is the amiability and possibly even the Syrian-ness.

Atlantic Xpat May 20th 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11268172)
A good question, and on reflection, I have reached the conclusion that it is not so much the side that is important, i.e. left or right, but rather the amiability of the occupants of the house to either the left or the right if looking from the road, or the right or the left if looking out from one's house. To wit, it is neither the leftness nor the rightness of the neighbour that determines the friendliness of the province, it is the amiability and possibly even the Syrian-ness.

Not to debunk your theory, but we had great neighbours to our left (if looking from the house) while those on the right were much like yours. Kept them selves to their selves etc etc. The lefties (or righties if you look from the street) were Australian. So I posit that it's not the side of the street, nor the Syriannes, but rather the not being Canadian, that's important.;)

Souvy May 20th 2014 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11268172)

Why bring Syria into this and leave out other nations? My two nicest neighbours (both left) are from Lebanon and Iran.

Aqua May 20th 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11268216)
Why bring Syria into this and leave out other nations? My two nicest neighbours (both left) are from Lebanon and Iran.

Just do t live in SouvyVille lol:rofl:

Oink May 20th 2014 3:46 pm

What's this obsession with Canadians being friendly? Friendly with Canadians in my experience, implies interfering and cadging bastards. Friendly cradles is synonymous with annoying locals. No need for them. :thumbdown:

SchnookoLoly May 20th 2014 4:15 pm

Oink, always a glass-is-half-full kind of guy. :D

bats May 20th 2014 4:35 pm

My neighbours to left are British, not very friendly. The others all very friendly and all Canadian. Some of them came from Oakville. I've been told by Albertans that Albertans are friendlier and more laid back. I've been told by Newfoundlanders that they are the most friendly. I'm not sure on which side they all live in relation to each other. Oh and NWT is very friendly too, allegedly.

haggis88 May 20th 2014 4:41 pm

Albertans are weird and, in my experience thusfar, are very insular people

that said, i don't meet many...possibly because they're all hiding in their own houses avoiding contact with the outside world and trying to decide if they're going to support the Flames next season or pick a team from California.

The friendliest people i've met are all FOBs tbh

colchar May 20th 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11268080)
It's not so much being thick and/or ignorant, it's that it's entirely subjective. It's not like you have all the grumpy people congregate in one city, and anything anyone WOULD say would be entirely generalising.

Vancouver has a reputation for that.

colchar May 20th 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 11268130)
'Lard 'tunderin jaysus missus, da by's from da Rock are da best kind of people. Sure, and you being from the old country, you'll feel right at home. Luh."

Yep, Newfies and other Maritimers.

Atlantic Xpat May 20th 2014 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11268384)

Mainlander. Newfoundland isn't part of the Maritimes. ;)

Jingsamichty May 20th 2014 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11267943)
On the other side was a very friendly Syrian family

My two nicest neighbours (both left) are from Lebanon and Iran.

No wonder the Middle East is in such a mess. Canada is stealing all the friendly ones.

JamesM May 20th 2014 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Irishlady (Post 11268128)
Schnookololy,

In the East they are like the Irish. Give them a few beers and they don't shut up. It would be fine if they didn't share the same irritating accent.

Tirytory May 20th 2014 9:34 pm

Well my neighbours to my left are super friendly, but that's because there are no neighbours to my right so....

I sometimes wonder whether people's perceptions of others (friendly/not) is just a reflection of how they choose to behave...

magnumpi May 20th 2014 11:45 pm

I watched that Yukon Gold programme and it shows that the Yukon is the friendliest place on earth, erm Canada, the most Un friendliest is guna be anywhere on the Gardener Expressway at 8am during the rush hour

Steve_ May 21st 2014 12:48 am

Originally Posted by haggis88 (Post 11268334)
Albertans are weird and, in my experience thusfar, are very insular people

that said, i don't meet many...possibly because they're all hiding in their own houses avoiding contact with the outside world and trying to decide if they're going to support the Flames next season or pick a team from California.

The friendliest people i've met are all FOBs tbh

Yeah, I agree, my personal view is that hiding in their basement all winter watching hockey destroys all their social skills. I also have neighbours I've never spoken to. If it wasn't for the Stampede the birth rate in Calgary would be near zero.

However I have to say we probably have a distorted view because we're all fairly new ourselves. I find in the older neighbourhoods people are a bit more friendly.

Difficult to generalize though, I met a couple once from Fort Saskatchewan when I was on vacation and they were very insular, it wasn't my imagination.

What you do in Alberta is buy a dog, therefore you can talk to people about your dog. And drag it around behind you in -20 during the winter.

All the famous Albertans I can think of are also quite insular. But having said that they're all very polite and helpful.

Imx I find Newfies are the most gregarious Canadians.

caretaker May 21st 2014 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11268246)
What's this obsession with Canadians being friendly? Friendly with Canadians in my experience, implies interfering and cadging bastards. Friendly cradles is synonymous with annoying locals. No need for them. :thumbdown:

Can you hear that Oink? I think there's a knock starting in one of your new outboards.

Souvy May 21st 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11268384)

Friendliest bunch I ever met was in a bar in Halifax. They weren't just being nice to a visitor to Canada. They were just plain friendly.

ann m May 21st 2014 12:39 pm

I think most of them are friendly. Doesn't mean they want to be your friend though. Is it really any different to the UK?

caretaker May 21st 2014 12:53 pm

It says right on the license plates 'Friendly Manitoba'. Ours says 'Land of Living Skies'. People come here and say "I thought you people were supposed to be friendly" and I tell them that's Manitoba, piss off and read the license plates.

Jingsamichty May 21st 2014 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11269915)
I tell them that's Manitoba, piss off and read the license plates.

See, you've actually become British by BE osmosis. :)

haggis88 May 21st 2014 4:57 pm

Alberta's license plates haven't changed since 1983, so that says a lot about them :lol:

GC44 May 21st 2014 10:53 pm

Manitobans are by far the friendliest. People are so uncommon over here that everyone waves at each other when passing on the highway and if you meet them face to face they want to unload there life story then hear yours. Plus nobody wants to piss anyone off cause they all have guns!

DandNHill May 21st 2014 11:30 pm

I would say one particular Nova Scotia I spoke to today on the phone... He was flirting outrageously with me, partly because of my accent ( I sound a cross between Coronation Street, Ozzie and the Queen). He had me in fits of laughter and really made my day... he even promised me 3 dandelions and a unicorn...

So he was by far the friendliest Canadian I have ever spoken to so he gets my vote...

Of course I might go to work tomorrow and come across a Albertan who out does him but I don't think so... I might be wrong! :rofl:

Steve_ May 22nd 2014 12:36 am

It depends what you mean by "friendly", Canadians generally are polite and helpful, if you're talking about chatty though, I say Newfies.

AlliF May 22nd 2014 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11269915)
It says right on the license plates 'Friendly Manitoba'. Ours says 'Land of Living Skies'. People come here and say "I thought you people were supposed to be friendly" and I tell them that's Manitoba, piss off and read the license plates.

I think Manitoban licence plates message should be changed to 'Live like there's snow tomorrow' ...

scrubbedexpat133 May 22nd 2014 2:41 pm

Manitoba in my experience. I found people there to be genuinely friendly not just plastic polite.

Maritimers on the whole are friendly but there are some frictions here between Anglophone and Francophone in NB. I found people on PEI can be initially cold but are different once they establish that you live locally and are not just another tourist. Nova Scotians are a decent lot on the whole.

I find Newfies to be a bit of an odd bunch. A few of them are good laugh and enjoy a bit of banter but having been all over the island I find that most of them just plain miserable. The famous sense of humour probably went out west :D

GC44 May 22nd 2014 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11271521)
I think Manitoban licence plates message should be changed to 'Live like there's snow tomorrow' ...

Most of them drive like there's no tomorrow!

Former Lancastrian May 23rd 2014 12:33 am

Originally Posted by GC44 (Post 11272316)
Most of them drive like there's no tomorrow!

There isn't if they keep voting NDP :lol: That piece of the TCH from Virden to the Sask border is the only place legally you can drive at 110 kmh.

Partially discharged May 23rd 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11272438)
There isn't if they keep voting NDP :lol: That piece of the TCH from Virden to the Sask border is the only place legally you can drive at 110 kmh.

All of NB that is on the T-Can has a speed limit of 110 km/h and believe me traffic volume is never an issue to impede your speed.