Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

French Emersion

Wikiposts

French Emersion

Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:11 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Emersion

Originally Posted by Souvy
I still disagree. Yes, there are accents that are inpenetrable even to other francophones. I maintain that francophones, when they want to, can switch to standard French. I see (hear?) it happen on a very regular basis.
I dont doubt it, an educated scouser and an educated glaswegian can make themseves understood after all (as long as both remain sober). I just took exception to being told what I have witnessed is complete crap. I prefer to think of it as incomplete crap.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its cant be "complete" crap, because thats exactly what happens when my neighbours talk to each other Its like a conversation between an unreformed glaswegian and a scouser. Perhaps its different among more educated francophones?

The shakesperian thing could be crap, that just how it was explained to me..
Mrs jimf has told me before that the French spoken in Quebec is more than a regional accent but still understable even if some of the phrases are slightly unfamiliar or old fashioned and the pronounciation less clear. She learned Paris French essentially a neutral French equivalent to English RP. I'm guessing it's like comparing English RP to a strong Newfoundland accent possibly where you can get by but there are significant differences.

As a basic rusty speaker I find listening to someone like Sarkozy with a pretty neutral accent I can pick up some of whats being said. With Chirac who has a strongish accent I'm struggling but with Quebec voices on the TV I have very little idea.

I rememember a few years ago a friend going to Hong Kong with his wife. She was a teacher and started teaching English but didn't last very long in her first job. She had quite a strong Scottish accent and the Chinese didn't want their children learning English with a Scottish accent.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the immersion program here was set up for the benefit of francophone parents who wanted some francophone education for their children whilst integrating with Ontairos anglo monoculture, rather than for anglophone parents to inflict french on their children. That would make more sense to me, but I could be wrong
It is an absolute political move to mollify francophone Canadians (read QC) - perhaps some kind of anglo-Canadian pacification? Why not establish Urdu or Hindi immersion in TO? Here in Quebec francophones are sytematically denied the opportunity to learn elemental English - even in the private education sector (conspiracy theory: keep 'em unilingual and they can't leave . . . ha!).
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
When I was in Paris a Quebecois girl, who actually couldn't speak english, kept having the Parisiens speak english to her. Quebec french has a strong anglophone influence in pronounciation I think.
I think this is mostly hype and snobbery. Two francophones who want to communicate can, just as, should the need ever arise, a Londoner could receive useful information from a Geordie or a Glaswegian. If push comes to shove one writes things down.

As accents go I recall it being a point of pride among those educated here not to sound like a franco-Ontarian, then not to sound Canadian at all. This, however, is a detail. The mother of my children is Swiss-Roman and teaches francophone adults to high school equivalency in a Toronto suburb. The students are a curious mish-mash of cradles, Europeans, Africans and Arabs, much like the population of a French language high school. I often hear that they're unintelligible through disability, drunkenness, drugs or stupidity but not yet because they have marbles in their mouths.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I rememember a few years ago a friend going to Hong Kong with his wife. She was a teacher and started teaching English but didn't last very long in her first job. She had quite a strong Scottish accent and the Chinese didn't want their children learning English with a Scottish accent.
My wife has similar stories, the japanese in particular wanted American teachers rather than UK ones, as the focus was on business with the US. Koreans were not as fussy. I guess the japanese are no better at distinguishing a canadian accent from a US one than we are
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dthomas
Why not establish Urdu or Hindi immersion in TO?
Because neither Urdu or Hindi are yet official tongues in Canada naturally
Legally speaking French is an official (legal) language in Ontario, where as English is not in Quebec.

By the way, Ontario has its own proud Francophones, they dont all come from PQ. Remember, France was in Canada chasing the beaver before the Brits got in and took over the act.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 11th 2010 at 5:26 am.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

France was in Canada chasing the beaver
Now there is some interesting imagery
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Now there is some interesting imagery
Cant deny the history of this proud nation
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It is an absolute political move to mollify francophone Canadians (read QC) - perhaps some kind of anglo-Canadian pacification? Why not establish Urdu or Hindi immersion in TO? Here in Quebec francophones are sytematically denied the opportunity to learn elemental English - even in the private education sector (conspiracy theory: keep 'em unilingual and they can't leave . . . ha!).
It was clearly a case of ROC pandering to ROQ but you get the impression however much is given it will never be enough.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:39 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont doubt it, an educated scouser and an educated glaswegian can make themseves understood after all (as long as both remain sober). I just took exception to being told what I have witnessed is complete crap. I prefer to think of it as incomplete crap.
Oh, OK. "mostly crap". Happy now?

Go find an educated Glaswegian and an educated Scouser (preferably sober) and we'll test your theory. No rush to find them.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:30 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

That's nuts, but doesn't seem to have stopped them leaving.

re: separation, one of my issues is how quebec, that great millstone, has distorted education policy in provinces like mine where french really isn't that useful except for jobs with the feds. You can't argue that french is that relevant in bc. If we weren't shackled to quebec maybe a few people might need it for business, but that's it. It's ridculous that they require bilingualism for government jobs in this province. For what? The microscopic francophone community?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Oh, OK. "mostly crap". Happy now?

Go find an educated Glaswegian and an educated Scouser (preferably sober) and we'll test your theory. No rush to find them.
Just as well
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
You can't argue that french is that relevant in bc.
It's directly relevant to me. Child wanders over to Vancouver, presents French language resume at likely places, working the same week. She might otherwise having been looking at me for funding.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:55 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think this is mostly hype and snobbery. Two francophones who want to communicate can, just as, should the need ever arise, a Londoner could receive useful information from a Geordie or a Glaswegian. If push comes to shove one writes things down.
That's also been my experience. This whole thing about Quebec French and French-French being a totally different language is seriously overdone IMO.

Yes the vocabulary is different sometimes, and the accent definitely takes some getting used to. But I see people writing that Quebec French is mostly useless as it can only be used here in Canada or that they've learned great Parisian French but its a totally different language over here so they can't use it. I find this pretty hard to believe.

One of my colleagues is from Montreal, moved to Paris for a few years then came back here. She made herself easily understood over there, although they were hugely snobby about the accent and mocked her from time to time. Same as a Canadian might do to us with our English...

Also, doesn't all this depend on regions?

I can understand the Quebec French spoken here, in Montreal and Quebec City, but struggled more when went up to Gaspe.

Also relates to level of education of the speaker. Francophones in my office tend to speak to me in a more 'standard' French, but to each other in much stronger accents. They can switch - am not sure the guy at the Timmies in Gaspe can (or wants to bother maybe).
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

educated Scouser (preferably sober) and we'll test your theory.
Only partially educated but definitely sober, so all you need now is the Glaswegian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.