Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

French Emersion

Wikiposts

French Emersion

Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Emersion

I hate the way the French dip those stale cakes into coffee. Disgusting.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:03 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
I hate the way the French dip those stale cakes into coffee. Disgusting.
I thought that was the Italians?

But then what would I know.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Oh no, it's them French, it sets them to churning out volumes.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I think it's the British.

But then, what would I know?

<another one for the oinki?>
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:19 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Actually, I think it's the British.

But then, what would I know?

<another one for the oinki?>
In new speak, my bad.

I was thinking of biscotti as the stale cakes. Oops.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
No one is suggesting changing any rules to suit any immigrant. All I have done is make an observation as to why the present situation exists.
Ah, I took this to be a suggestion that the francophone cradles might want to leave their country:

"Why would the attention seeker leave the party especially when someone else is buying the drinks?"

I assumed you to be an immigrant. A gatecrasher or friend of an invitee, to continue your analogy, one who seeks to give host the heave-ho.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

In new speak, my bad.

I was thinking of biscotti as the stale cakes. Oops.
My bad too.

I thought he was talking about ginger snaps, not madelaines.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I took this to be a suggestion that the francophone cradles might want to leave their country:

"Why would the attention seeker leave the party especially when someone else is buying the drinks?"

I assumed you to be an immigrant. A gatecrasher or friend of an invitee, to continue your analogy, one who seeks to give host the heave-ho.
Not at all. It's not a suggestion to separate but a rational explanation why separation has not occured despite the member of the club taking about it a lot and claiming they don't get enough recognition of their specialness.

I wouldn't particularly wish the attention seeker to leave as they do add a bit of interest to the party which can otherwise be a little bland but on the other hand there is a limit to how many drinks the other members are prepared to pay for.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:13 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by jimf
Not at all. It's not a suggestion to separate but a rational explanation why separation has not occured despite the member of the club taking about it a lot and claiming they don't get enough recognition of their specialness.

I wouldn't particularly wish the attention seeker to leave as they do add a bit of interest to the party which can otherwise be a little bland but on the other hand there is a limit to how many drinks the other members are prepared to pay for.
I think I finally understand the thread title! It's a typo isn't it?

It should be French emergence.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It's ridculous that they require bilingualism for government jobs in this province. For what? The microscopic francophone community?
On what basis do you make that argument?

As of this morning, the Federal Government website shows 44 job listings in BC. Of those, 26 appear to have a requirement for bilingualism. On closer inspection, they are general ads covering openings across Canada. Where BC is mentioned specifically in the job specification, the need for bilingualism disappears.

I can only find one job in that list that is BC-specific and requires bilingualism. It looks tourism-related, so that would not be unreasonable. The level of proficiency it calls for, in both languages, is so low that I would be surprised if anyone meeting the criteria would be able to read the advert.

I didn't read through all the DND postings. A number of them would likely require bilingualism regardless of location, for operational reasons.

Try going into a Federal Government office in Vancouver, say Industry Canada, and asking how many of the staff are bilingual. Or go into a Canada Post outlet and asked to be served in French. It's your right.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:10 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

damn... once again, I come late to a good debate.

My position is somewhat similar to Iaink's, I think. My eldest started this year in Ontario's FI at grade 1. Both his mother and I speak some French - mine limited, rusty, and Parisian, hers not far from fluent and learnt in English school in Montreal.

The local school board's FI system has half-day split English/French tuition, with half a day in each language. Subjects taught in French include science, social sciences, and phys ed; mathematics and arts (music, etc) are taught in English. Language arts are obviously taught in their respective languages.

So far, he seems to be thriving.

As to whether there is a cachet or snobbery about the FI program - I don't believe there is, but there is certainly a sort of semi-officially acknowledged academic streaming at work. The school board's own published criteria for parents considering whether to put their kids in FI at grade 1 include this:

How do I know if French Immersion is appropriate for my child?
Children who may find the program appropriate-
- Handle new situations using positive coping strategies (e.g.: risk-taker, gets along with peers, confident, with positive self-esteem.
- Demonstrate curiosity and a willingness to explore and experiment.
- Listen effectively (can retell or explain a story or events in proper sequence.
- Play with language (enjoys rhyming, memory and games.
- Enjoy new words (repeats and uses new vocabulary appropriately.
- Have well established work habits.
- Have a successful kindergarten year.
- Exhibit appropriate first language development.

Children who may find the program challenging:
- Perform below average in his/her own first language.
- Have parents who don't equally support enrolment and/or the student does not want to be in the program.
- Find their kindergarten experience challenging emotionally.
- Experience difficulty staying on task.
- Have weak listening skills.
- Experience difficulty retaining information.
To that extent, in the words of his SK teacher (I paraphrase): "the more academically-inclined tend to gravitate towards the FI program as it certainly is more of a stretch academically. Those who will prosper when challenged do well at it; those who find school work challenging enough in their own language, I would encourage into the English stream."

His school is FI-only, the board here has, as far as possible, physically separated the FI from the English track. I have heard that this was primarily in response to criticism that the English-track and FI-track kids did not get on in the playground in schools where there were parallel tracks running.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:07 am
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here, actually I think regarding 'french immersion' it should really be called 'Quebecois immersion'.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:09 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt we do this already
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:09 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greentea3
Hi everyone,

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here, actually I think regarding 'french immersion' it should really be called 'Quebecois immersion'.
<grabs chair and popcorn>

Last edited by purple80; Mar 8th 2010 at 8:12 am.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:12 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greentea3
Hi everyone,

Technically you are correct in the fact they learn Canadian French like they learn Canadian English - neither of which are directly the same as the native versions.....

We recently enrolled our son to JK - we decided to go with a Catholic English school, despite the best school in the area being FI and closer (literally at the top of our road). We did this because we feel he is slightly behind for his age with regard to English - we will see how he progresses and may change our mind when he gets to start Grade 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.