"The French"

Old May 27th 2006, 5:07 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The French"

In a chilled out vibe, I'd recommend any Brits aim to throw away their 'psycho baggage' when/before they get here - life's different, bin your preconceived and long-formed deeply embedded ideas of race culture nationality identity and attributes, all is everything, nothing as it seems.

It'll make for a happier once existence here and might help you contribute to a happer country free(er) of prejudices and bitterness.

Rich.
Old May 28th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

France is a beautiful country - a shame, that the French live there!

I stand clearly on the side of the US in this one.

They forget that twice the Yanks bled so that they would never have to speak German.

There are TWO countries who produce armoured vehicles with 5 reverse gears and one forward - Italy being the other!!!

As for the persons emerging out of Quebec in the summer months, we love `em!!!

For they speed along Highway 1 at over 120 k, so we drop in behind them, when a "Cruiser" pulls out between us and gives chase - we ease off the gas - as we go by the pulled over "Frenchie", I give them the old favourite - The English Bowman`s salutation - made popular by Churchill in the last war that the French ran from!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 28th 2006, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rich_007
In a chilled out vibe, I'd recommend any Brits aim to throw away their 'psycho baggage' when/before they get here - life's different, bin your preconceived and long-formed deeply embedded ideas of race culture nationality identity and attributes, all is everything, nothing as it seems.

It'll make for a happier once existence here and might help you contribute to a happer country free(er) of prejudices and bitterness.

Rich.
My sentiments exactly! I really am deeply ashamed to be English sometimes when i read the xenophobic and stereotypical bullshit some people constantly come out with. I'm really looking forward to meeting new people from different backgrounds and getting away from morons.
Old May 28th 2006, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
They forget that twice the Yanks bled so that they would never have to speak German.

The "Yanks" always forget that if it wasn't for the French help in the War of Independence, America would still be part of the British Empire.
Old May 28th 2006, 3:58 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
The "Yanks" always forget that if it wasn't for the French help in the War of Independence, America would still be part of the British Empire.
Yes, but they gave the French MacDonalds, Disnaeland Paris and Lance Armstrong winning their 'Bore de France' in return. Which is more than an adequate payment?

N'est pas?
Old May 28th 2006, 11:56 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wearsider
Are French Canadians as "Friendly" as THE French?

If you have ever queued up in a lift queue in a French ski resort you will know what I mean?
When I lived in Montréal as a student I encountered a few rude people. I was refused service in English in a federal (i.e. bilingual) job centre, ignored in shops, glared at in a restaurant for speaking English too loudly, etc. Store clerks would speak English to me automatically before I could speak French- somehow they knew I spoke English. I was called 'tête carré' (square head) a few times. I left there as soon as I graduated as there were few job opportunities for non-Quebec anglos. I also lived in France for a bit and in comparison I found the Quebecois to be more insistent on speaking French.
Old May 29th 2006, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
When I lived in Montréal as a student I encountered a few rude people. I was refused service in English in a federal (i.e. bilingual) job centre, ignored in shops, glared at in a restaurant for speaking English too loudly, etc. Store clerks would speak English to me automatically before I could speak French- somehow they knew I spoke English. I was called 'tête carré' (square head) a few times. I left there as soon as I graduated as there were few job opportunities for non-Quebec anglos. I also lived in France for a bit and in comparison I found the Quebecois to be more insistent on speaking French.

How come, if you lived in Montreal, and in France, people can tell you're an anglo? Can't you do French yet?
Old May 29th 2006, 11:19 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
How come, if you lived in Montreal, and in France, people can tell you're an anglo? Can't you do French yet?
In Québec some people could tell I was an anglo and spoke English to me regardless if I spoke French - not in France.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
My sentiments exactly! I really am deeply ashamed to be English sometimes when i read the xenophobic and stereotypical bullshit some people constantly come out with. I'm really looking forward to meeting new people from different backgrounds and getting away from morons.
Sorry mate, I stand guilty of being celeryphobic (see earlier post) but my only other crime has been stating facts!

How many times have you visited France? I have been 12 times and love the place. I have spent approximately 3/4 of a year there altogether and have contributed a considerable amount to the French economy during that time.

Xenophobic - "The term is typically used to describe fear or dislike of foreigners or in general of people different from one's self"

I certainly do not fear France or anything French, and I have never stated that I dislike the French. I merely posed the question "Are French Canadians as warm and welcoming to the British as their European counterparts?"

Therefore, if your experience of French Europeans is warm and welcoming and on par with that of Canadian French then the answer would surely be yes.

My personal experience whilst living in France is that the French people that I personally have met have not been warm and welcoming, but rather rude, stand-offish and quite offensive.

Despite this I do not fear or dislike the French, therefore I am not Xenophobic !

I Fuc**ng hate Celery though!
Old May 30th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman

Damn the French JUST JOKING!!

WARNING - DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING unless your sense of humour is intact!

NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE To the citizens of the United States of America, In the light of your failure to elect a President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchial duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy. Your new prime minister (The rt. hon. Tony Blair, MP for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how incorrectly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen",
but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US Rugby sevens side by 2005.

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 98.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. ("Merde" is French for "sh*t".)

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive Day".

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Calgal
Damn the French JUST JOKING!!

WARNING - DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING unless your sense of humour is intact!

NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE To the citizens of the United States of America, In the light of your failure to elect a President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchial duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy. Your new prime minister (The rt. hon. Tony Blair, MP for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how incorrectly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen",
but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US Rugby sevens side by 2005.

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 98.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. ("Merde" is French for "sh*t".)

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive Day".

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I'm the only controversial poster in the Village!!!!!!!
Old May 30th 2006, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
I'm the only controversial poster in the Village!!!!!!!
Oh noo yooer not Davyth
Old May 30th 2006, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Calgal
Oh noo yooer not Davyth
That's it Myfanwy....I'm off!