Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Freemasonry in Ontario

Freemasonry in Ontario

Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:52 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Freemasonry in Ontario

Originally Posted by Gray C
I understand dress is fairly informal in Canada (no black ties etc), but not as informal as the USA, correct me if I am wrong.
Officers usually wear penguin suits ... lounge suits are fine ... unless its tacky Hawaiian shirt & barbecue might ...

Originally Posted by Gray C
Is Royal Arch masonry big in Canada?
Yes ... we have a mixture of rites too ... some are York, some are Canadian.

Old Jun 14th 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Freemasonry in Ontario

Originally Posted by gooding
We are going over to the far west! Vancouver Island. We already have a house there, and hubby was hoping to visit at Chrsitmas , but we were just to busy. So he may try and arrange a meet on our next trip to get the networking going. We hope to get medical requests in about May /June ( optimistic hope)
His lodge starts at 5.30!!!!! People do stare in daylight hours of loads of penquins (sorry)I mean dinner suited men, carrying cases going into the building at 5:30pm.
I had a look at the Canadian website and they seem to involve the family much more than they do here. "ladies" are tolerated, but seen and not heard type attitude. There are "ladies nights" and little groups seem to set up coffee mornings and social circles, and invite each other round to show off their latest electrical appliance , new extension or patio heater!!!!!!! It seems a case of keeping up with the jones, part of the reason I wish to leave the UK.
This, "mines better than yours attitude" I hate.

I can't help laughing as any reference to "ladies" makes me think of Little Britain.

I see what Glasweigen means about the Clowns! Can't see my husband doing that, but makes me laugh thinking about it.
Great to see so many groups that the family can join. I think I will actually enjoy taking part.
I'll keep you posted on how it goes, and if we are welcomed or not!
Hi Gooding

I know this thread is quite old but the last time you contributed to this, you were still living in the UK. Has your husband now joined a lodge and if so, I was wondering if you have found it useful to find new friends and contacts?

When I visited a lodge in Brantford I was made most welcome and I am still in touch with several members of different lodges in the area and I personally think that it is an excellent way to meet new people. As Glaswegian said, it is also very good for "networking"

Regards

Graham