Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Form 8840 Closer connection exception statement

Form 8840 Closer connection exception statement

Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future
Default Form 8840 Closer connection exception statement

Have been advised to fill one of these in as we are spending longer stays in the USA.
Anyone know the following:

1. Where it asks for Address in the US, is that the address of the last property we rented when in the US ?

2. Wife is Canadian citizen/passport holder, what type of visa will she have entered on ?

Many thanks for the help.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Form 8840 Closer connection exception statement

Originally Posted by badab1ng
Have been advised to fill one of these in as we are spending longer stays in the USA.
Anyone know the following:

1. Where it asks for Address in the US, is that the address of the last property we rented when in the US ?

2. Wife is Canadian citizen/passport holder, what type of visa will she have entered on ?

Many thanks for the help.
I would suggest you post this in the US forum as they are more likely to be familiar with it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother with the address section or signing section of Form 8840, what you should do is complete a 1040NR-EZ and if you have no US-source income you write "PROTECTIVE" across the top, and you put your Canadian address and details on the top of that form.

You sign and date the 1040NR, answer question 1 and the questions regarding your residency on Schedule OI and then complete 8840. The rest of the 1040NR is blank. Note simple interest from a US bank account is not reportable, and attaching any 1042-S you get from the bank is not required (but you can if you want).

Theoretically you can file 8840 on its own but it's best to file a 1040NR with it, the reason being that if you file a tax return the IRS can only go back three years to audit you.

As far as your wife goes, if she was a visitor for pleasure, she entered as B-2.

Note this is a "catch you out" question as putting down anything other than B-2 or VWT means you have to file other paperwork, i.e. IRS Form 2063 (there is an exemption for visitors for pleasure who stay less than six months). If you actually have a tax liability you have to complete Form 1040-C prior to leaving.

More information is contained in IRS publication 513 (which appears to have been discontinued) and IRS publication 519 (which is a more heavy duty version). The CRA republishes 513 as publication 151: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p151/README.html

This is all a pain but it does have one very important advantage other than the obvious (exempting you from US tax residency) - you have proof you can show CBP that you are non-resident.

Last edited by Steve_; Jan 20th 2014 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I would suggest you post this in the US forum as they are more likely to be familiar with it.
I doubt it, Canadians are the ones who are most likely to need to do this.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I doubt it, Canadians are the ones who are most likely to need to do this.
Thank you and apologies - I knew it was an US IRS form which is why I made the suggestion - I stand corrected, lol.

Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

Should I expect some receipt or acknowledgement from IRS ? I sent this away in January and not heard anything since.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Not unless you owe them tax. You can phone them and ask if they got it.