Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

FWD or 4x4 in BC

FWD or 4x4 in BC

Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Olib1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FWD or 4x4 in BC

Hi, I am looking for some advice on what car is necessary for living in British Columbia. In the Kamloops region.

I would like to get a 2014 Mini Cooper, I would use snow tyres in winter. But I am not sure if the snow is too severe for this in winter. If it is I would get a Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FWD or 4x4 in BC

I should think you will be fine in a mini for the most parts, not sure how much snow Kamloops gets but your only real concern would be depth, that's the only reason I can think of for getting something with a higher ground clearance.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ya sure you want a Mini and why?
I think they are expensive to be honest and Ive owned one many years ago
http://www.mini.ca/en/mini-special-editions

Your money at the end of the day but not a vehicle I would pick.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think I'd drive something so small, when lots of other road users will be in 2 or 3 ton pickup trucks!

Check out this weather link for historical info

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/...e-profile.aspx

Last edited by Eddmac; Apr 27th 2014 at 10:02 pm. Reason: More info
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:27 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

A Mini will be fine in and around Kamloops. Winter tires will get you to the ski hill at Sun Peaks without a problem. I've owned several front wheel drive hatchbacks while living in Kamloops and never got stuck. The nearest Mini dealer is Kelowna though, so if you want main dealer servicing, it'll be a 4+hr round trip.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olib1990
Hi, I am looking for some advice on what car is necessary for living in British Columbia. In the Kamloops region.

I would like to get a 2014 Mini Cooper, I would use snow tyres in winter. But I am not sure if the snow is too severe for this in winter. If it is I would get a Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for your help.
Your driving skills and having a bit of experience in the snow are way more important than any car you drive. I wish there were more small cars to choose from here but the mindset is the bigger the better/safer which is utter nonsense. Carry a shovel though
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
Your driving skills and having a bit of experience in the snow are way more important than any car you drive. I wish there were more small cars to choose from here but the mindset is the bigger the better/safer which is utter nonsense. Carry a shovel though
While you are somewhat correct about skill and experience helping, you can't escape the benefits of four wheel drive, ground clearance, snow tyres or chains etc, but if you're only driving around ordinary roads, I'd go with RICHs comments, but if you had ever seen a RTA where a small car, such as a mini, is hit by a large one, such as an F250, you would understand why people feel safer in larger cars.

That's an image I will never get out of my head and is why I quit the ambulance/rescue unit I was a member of and gave up my first aid certification, I had a run of three rta's in the space of a week that I attended and none of them were pretty, but all survived, bar the driver in the "small car" that was totally flattened by a very large one.
I certainly wouldn't put my family in a mini, but the op obviously can make his own decisions.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ive a civic and a subaru. To be honest AWD can lull you into a false sense of security as it will get going in marginal conditions with the minimum of fuss, so you can easily be going too fast when the need to stop in a hurry occurs, and AWD / 4x4 is bugger all use when it comes to decelerating. At least in the Civic its obvious that care is needed as the traction / stability control is doing its thing.

This year I got stuck once in the Ontario snow, on an uncleared farm driveway. Guess which vehicle I was driving

The laws of physics mean that an F250 will well and truly mither a Mini. But the laws of physics also mean that an F250 will have far more momentum to have to dissipate in an accident, and far more momentum to have to overcome to stop or change direction to avoid an accident too, so perhaps a Mini is a better bet in a single vehicle crash or for avoiding an accident in the first place.

Both have roughly the same contact patch with the road, and that friction is all you have when it comes to braking and steering.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I am no great fan of the BMW minis but bet this would handle better in the snow with good winter tires in then a F150.
The one big advantage of a truck or suv will be ground clearance but in Kamloops would not imagine that being much of an issue.
Its tires tires tires for winter driving then everything else being equal 4wd would work better for traction not stopping in severe winter weather
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's all down to personal preference, a mini will handle better, use less fuel and be perfectly suitable 95 % of the time! but for the 5% a 4x4 "should" keep going when the mini doesn't (my x-trail kept going up our rather long and steep driveway, when the wife's FWD seat got beached on deep snow!) and if you have an accident with something bigger, I know what I'd rather be in, but again, it's really down to personal preference!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.
It would depend if you are planning on going offroad into the bush and exploring some of the more remote lakes. If you are sticking to the roads then a mini would be fine but you will be missing out on some of the most beautiful parts of BC unless you have a vehicle that you can take offroad.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Olib1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help.

I am still in the UK at the moment but will be moving to BC in the next few months. I use to have a MINI here up to a year ago and I loved it. I now have a 1968 Ford Mustang and I'll be bringing it with me, I certainly won't be driving that in the snow.

I want a MINI because of the contrast to the mustang. It's small and great handling, with 62mpg from the 2014 Cooper. The safety issue doesn't really concern me, I'm sure the amount of cars on the road there is vastly less than here. If I'm to die in anything it will likely be the Mustang. Neither of my cars will be the family car, that will be some soulless SUV my wife will get.

I do also like the wrangler though, I guess I will just do a bit more research when I get there.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the Mini , it'll be a ball ache if you have to go to Kelowna for servicing/warranty work . Fuel is as cheap as chips here , go AWD and enjoy .
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:12 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.

I am still in the UK at the moment but will be moving to BC in the next few months. I use to have a MINI here up to a year ago and I loved it. I now have a 1968 Ford Mustang and I'll be bringing it with me, I certainly won't be driving that in the snow.

I want a MINI because of the contrast to the mustang. It's small and great handling, with 62mpg from the 2014 Cooper. The safety issue doesn't really concern me, I'm sure the amount of cars on the road there is vastly less than here. If I'm to die in anything it will likely be the Mustang. Neither of my cars will be the family car, that will be some soulless SUV my wife will get.

I do also like the wrangler though, I guess I will just do a bit more research when I get there.

Thanks again.
Your doing the right thing bringing the Mustang, they are often cheaper in the UK than here, even plain Janes fetch good money here.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 5:39 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with most that the handling would be a major plus for the Mini

However the one complaint I heard in Canada was servicing and the costs, It that a signifianct distance away to add to the pain then look to getting another small/compact car that handles well..

Spend the money on good/great winter tyres... and have fun