Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

which foods to take to canada

which foods to take to canada

Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which foods to take to canada

Originally Posted by Hudman
I'd be a bit wary of mass produced red meat, Canada still uses feed from US which is cannibalising cows, as per Mad cow controversy in UK.
N.American meat production has a very strong lobby which is primarily profit driven.
Organic or verified source meats are a better bet, as the growth hormones in red meats are another issue.
I personally dont want to have breasts at my time of life.

We buy a lot of our meat locally and from places that advertise as hormone/drug free.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Your'e very eloquent for a 4-year old girl.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Your'e very eloquent for a 4-year old girl.
So my daycare says...thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Mozzarella and feta are dead easy to get it's the stuff like decent camembert, brie, gorganzola that is a bi harder to get at a price that doesn't cost a second mortgage I am only shopping in places like 'save on' and 'superstore'. I find sobeys way too expensive.
Costco has good cheeses at what seem to be low prices. Metric only cheeses but still some good ones.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Costco has good cheeses at what seem to be low prices. Metric only cheeses but still some good ones.
Can't abide metric cheeses. They taste funny.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 7:48 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I'd be a bit wary of mass produced red meat, Canada still uses feed from US which is cannibalising cows, as per Mad cow controversy in UK.
N.American meat production has a very strong lobby which is primarily profit driven.
Organic or verified source meats are a better bet, as the growth hormones in red meats are another issue.
Don't worry, you won't grow breasts you don't already have. All those hormones will grow is hair on your chest and turn you into a stud, plus make women beat their chest like a gorilla and completely dominate the rest of the world in women's hockey.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 7:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Complete and utter BULLSH*T!!!!

Can you prove this ridiculous allegation.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Can't abide metric cheeses. They taste funny.
Cheese is from France anyway so it doesn't matter if it's metric but we puzzled over crab legs for ages before not buying them. Good crab legs here are usually $16 and up. If we see them for $14 we buy. At Costco they were $36. We knew that was somehow metric but couldn't figure out if it was a good price or not. When we got home to a calculator we knew why they weren't priced clearly.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hangman
Complete and utter BULLSH*T!!!!

Can you prove this ridiculous allegation.

Unfortunatly yes, let you angry finger loose on your keyboard and open your confused mind.
Cowblood is still fed to cattle, as well as other animal remains.
Try this Ridiculous allegation 1 and again, do a search on Canadian Feed here... #2
US beef/feed are still in Canadian food chain.
As per Mad cow controversy, the Canadians think so try and give blood!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:17 pm

Unfortunatly yes, let you angry finger loose on your keyboard and open your confused mind.
Cowblood is still fed to cattle, as well as other animal remains.
Try this Ridiculous allegation 1 and again, do a search on Canadian Feed here... #2
US beef/feed are still in Canadian food chain.
As per Mad cow controversy, the Canadians think so try and give blood!
You are absolutely right I did let my angry fingers loose. So I went back and re-read your original post on this issue.

Let me start over by asking are you implying that you are at risk of contracting CJD if you eat Canadian beef?

I can see having concerns about the use of antibiotics and hormones as their use is continuing to this day although the industry is starting to reduce this practice.

However your claim lacks credibility when quote a two and half year old article that states a U.S. company was breaking the rules regarding cattle feed. Do you have current proof that the rules are still being broken?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

You are absolutely right I did let my angry fingers loose. So I went back and re-read your original post on this issue.

Let me start over by asking are you implying that you are at risk of contracting CJD if you eat Canadian beef?

I can see having concerns about the use of antibiotics and hormones as their use is continuing to this day although the industry is starting to reduce this practice.

However your claim lacks credibility when quote a two and half year old article that states a U.S. company was breaking the rules regarding cattle feed. Do you have current proof that the rules are still being broken?
Hello H/man, I've no real interest in Mad Cow stuff other than that consumers are being misled (the world over) about dodgy intensive farming practices.
I rather flippantly made a post about Brits and their food fantasies, about mainly crappy British nosh, that for the most part you can get "similar" stuff here.
The practice of feeding cows with feeds made from cows blood still goes on in N.America, I may be wrong but this whole area may be covered by NAFTA, so I would say the rules are still being broken with regard to the feeds/beef being in the Canadian food chain.
This is more recent Cow stuff
**** me what more can I say, I am sure you should at least question the possibility especially if you consume beef
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:50 pm

Hello H/man, I've no real interest in Mad Cow stuff other than that consumers are being misled (the world over) about dodgy intensive farming practices.
I rather flippantly made a post about Brits and their food fantasies, about mainly crappy British nosh, that for the most part you can get "similar" stuff here.
The practice of feeding cows with feeds made from cows blood still goes on in N.America, I may be wrong but this whole area may be covered by NAFTA, so I would say the rules are still being broken with regard to the feeds/beef being in the Canadian food chain.
This is more recent Cow stuff
**** me what more can I say, I am sure you should at least question the possibility especially if you consume beef

If you can only question/suspect that the practice of putting blood in animal feed is still happening then you still lack credibility where is the proof? Why should I believe you any more than I believe the farmers and the government.
However the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's REVIEW FINDS CANADA’S FEED BAN EFFECTIVE

For the most part I don't eat beef. Chicken, fish, pork, bison and some deer are my main sources of protein.

Some more reading for you.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:30 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part I don't eat beef.
Given Alberta's current track record I can understand why

http://www.gov.ab.ca/home/index.cfm?Page=751

Last edited by MikeUK; Feb 13th 2006 at 9:33 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Given Alberta's current track record I can understand why

http://www.gov.ab.ca/home/index.cfm?Page=751
At no point did any animal with BSE enter the human food chain.

Or at least none that we know of.