Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

which foods to take to canada

Wikiposts

which foods to take to canada

Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:41 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which foods to take to canada

I should have shares in this place:

http://www.dickenssweets.com/

Gravy granules are $5.95 aggh!!!! They have toffee bon-bons and Lucozade so I don't care how much I spend.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what any of you are talking about. I use Bisto all the time...PG Tips tea is available in most large grocery stores and Paxo stuffing is what we had at Christmas!! Oh and tonight it's steak and kidney pie for supper. Bought it at the local shop in Burlington Ontario. My granny (from London) used to shop at a store in Etobicoke area of Toronto for all of the wonderful things from England...Taverner's candies in the little tin, licorice allsorts, etc. I'm sure if you look you will find all of the things you miss from home. Almost every large city will have a British shop with all of your favourites.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:14 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dotnron
Don't know what any of you are talking about. I use Bisto all the time...PG Tips tea is available in most large grocery stores and Paxo stuffing is what we had at Christmas!! Oh and tonight it's steak and kidney pie for supper. Bought it at the local shop in Burlington Ontario. My granny (from London) used to shop at a store in Etobicoke area of Toronto for all of the wonderful things from England...Taverner's candies in the little tin, licorice allsorts, etc. I'm sure if you look you will find all of the things you miss from home. Almost every large city will have a British shop with all of your favourites.
Obviously you live in a Brit-centric locale....some of us happen to live further afield where the demand for Liquorice Allsorts, Stella Artois and Pie and Mash is less pronounced.

Somehow here in the wild west we manage to survive on the measley staples sourced from the local grocery stores and via home cooking. And it's nice to embrace the process of Canadianization rather than having to cling grimly to those oh-so-wonderful things of Britishness.

Brits have a sad reputation for clinging to the coat tails of the distant homeland. I say live the life fully and embrace every aspect of it for its difference, not for its familiarity.

Each to their own though.

Rich.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: which foods to take to canada

Victoria BC has food stores that bring in many foods that my husband loves and I am finding many of our local stores and markets are now bringing in British favorites I have been able to find Paxo stuffing, Bisto gravy granules, Ribena, Colman's of Norwich sauces, Ambrosia's Devon Custard plus many other favorites kind of makes it a bit nicer when your far away from home.

You just have to do a bit of research in the town or city where you relocate to...good luck.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Obviously you live in a Brit-centric locale....some of us happen to live further afield where the demand for Liquorice Allsorts, Stella Artois and Pie and Mash is less pronounced.

Rich.
Stella Artois originates from Belgium, although most of the stuff sold in the UK is brewed under licence by Whitbread in the UK.

The Stella Artois in my local here is imported from Belgium, similarly the Guinness and Kilkenny are imported from Ireland which makes them all pricey but IMHO worth it when compared to the Canadian stuff (which is like making love in a canoe).

If only they would import Staropramen.

The Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire sauce here is made in the UK, but oddly the HP sauce here is made by Lea and Perrins ... in the US.

I was pleased to read on the packet of the After Eights I bought at Xmas, that they were made in Switzerland.

We also had Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts at Xmas, but they were made in Ontario.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:49 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Stella Artois originates from Belgium, although most of the stuff sold in the UK is brewed under licence by Whitbread in the UK.
Of course but it is drunk by streetwise hard men and is not colloquially called wifebeater for nothing

eg from the urbandictionary website:
Wifebeater:
Proper Noun: Strong lager, esp. Stella Artois with a tendency to induce wife-beating in the drinker. If the drinker is unmarried, this takes the form of generally directed rage. As in "Do you fancy a wifebeater"?

Rich. :scared:
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think all British foods are available here but Marmite is expensive and only sold in small jars, best to bring some giant ones as it keeps forever (the jar we're using now has an offer of a free record on it). Beer in bottles can be problematic in Ontario as imports are a government monopoly, we bring Fuller's from the US.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Of course but it is drunk by streetwise hard men and is not colloquially called wifebeater for nothing

eg from the urbandictionary website:
Wifebeater:
Proper Noun: Strong lager, esp. Stella Artois with a tendency to induce wife-beating in the drinker. If the drinker is unmarried, this takes the form of generally directed rage. As in "Do you fancy a wifebeater"?

Rich. :scared:
I think it says more about that sort of drinker than the drink. The Stella drinkers in my local seem level-headed types.

Mind you at $6.50 a pint, it's a drink to be savoured not swilled.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
i just bought a new jar of marmite here , and it seemed different, paler brown and more runny, whoever heard of runny marmite??
I'd say there's something wrong with it! My Marmite (bought in Safeway) is exactly like the English (have a look on the label and see if it says "Imported from UK" or "Made under licence in Canada"

Used to get Imported Branston Pickle in the grocery store, and noticed the current jar tasted different! When I checked the label, I see it is now made under licence here.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Marmite is expensive and only sold in small jars, best to bring some giant ones as it keeps forever
I'm glad to throw out those little jars... clearly you've instilled some sort of no-knife-back-in-jar-after-being-on-toast rule, I haven't managed that yet and am sick of crumbs and butter smears by about day 2 of our jars' lives
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:30 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by firefox
Hi all,

Which foods that you canot get in canada should we take with us.
IE english mustard PG Tips tea and so on
many thanks
Andrew
Tomatos.

I know you can't bring them but enjoy them while you can. In Canada, the store bought ones taste like metallic fish. Tomatos are one food stuff I will miss when I go back to Canada; I can polish off a pound of those sweet little baby roma's in a flash.

I can get good tomatos in Canada but it usually involves a visit to family members and their gardens. :scared:
Old Jan 29th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I bought Marmite at Superstore in Regina. I like the stuff but I have to admit that its full of salt and probably not very good for you. I really do like Paxo, but again its probably full of unpronounceable chemicals like all packaged goods and while I had some at Christmas that was brought back from England, most of the time I make my sage and onion stuffing out of breadcrumbs and sage and onion - what a novel idea!!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 2:38 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude,

Leave the stuff and just embrace what Canada has to offer...things are different, stuff you might want might not be available here.

So the fish and chips taste different, the beans are different, teabgas taste funny, milk is called something different, blah de blah.

It's different because it's a long long way away on a different continent; keep it different and embrace that difference

Rich.
Exactly... Just forget about what you can't get...

"Can't get Bisto" - learn to make your own gravy, it's not rocket science.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
I'd say there's something wrong with it! My Marmite (bought in Safeway) is exactly like the English (have a look on the label and see if it says "Imported from UK" or "Made under licence in Canada"

Used to get Imported Branston Pickle in the grocery store, and noticed the current jar tasted different! When I checked the label, I see it is now made under licence here.
calgal- mine was english bought in tescos

am wondering if the old sitff was so old it had condensed into the dark sticky stuff
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Exactly... Just forget about what you can't get...

"Can't get Bisto" - learn to make your own gravy, it's not rocket science.
That's great if you're having a roast...pain in the backside if you're not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.