which foods to take to canada

which foods to take to canada

Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:40 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: which foods to take to canada

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
That's great if you're having a roast...pain in the backside if you're not
Depends how much you like food I guess... If the meal takes 30 minutes that's plenty of time to make something to go with...
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Exactly... Just forget about what you can't get...

"Can't get Bisto" - learn to make your own gravy, it's not rocket science.
Here goes my reputation

In the UK I used to love chocolate dipped flapjacks, made in Devon by Percy Fudge and sold in Waitrose/Ocado.

So, last week I looked up a flapjack recipe, got the other half to get the ingredients in Superstore and lo and behold we now have chocolate dipped flapjacks to gorge on.

The dark chocolate on them is good too. Fortunately a Belgian chocolatier made Calgary his home and Superstore sells his "broken bits" in large lumps.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:34 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I can make a mean gravy, I just could not be arsed. I cook good (healthy as possible) meals every day for six + people, gravy granules just shave some time off an otherwise tedious daily chore.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:55 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spongebob
We have been hear 5 years and still miss somethings, but it is not an issue any more.

However even though we have embraced canada and its foodstuffs we still miss certain items and will bring those items back with us (such as paxo stuffings) whenever we go back to see parents in the UK.

I think most people miss some type of british food regardless of how long they have been here.
Its true...I spent 20 odd years in the UK, and always right to the last asked any family from here coming over to bring.....Kraft Dinner!!!! I know of all the things, but you always fancy a little of what you can no longer have ...and now we are here..Tony craves a tin of rice pudding...something we really hardy ever had in the UK...so yep embrace all that there is over here, and enjoy the odd PG tip when you can get someone to bring some over.....thats is something we did bring, and have had my Mum bring, and asked Tony's Mum to bring next week....the tea really is rough....even our neighbours how have never until we arrived had a PG tip cuppa, have fallen for, the always say....ohhhh this is lovely tea, so if nothing else its helped us make friends with the neighbours!!! lol ...but I think you probably wont really know what treat from the UK you wished you had ,until you get here and then suddenly say one day......I really fancy Rice pud...from a tin!!!!! :scared: ....and before anyone suggest I make some.....I tried ...and failed tonight...it was not good
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Fortunately a Belgian chocolatier made Calgary his home and Superstore sells his "broken bits" in large lumps.
THEY DO??? Where, where?? Which isle?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
calgal- mine was english bought in tescos

am wondering if the old sitff was so old it had condensed into the dark sticky stuff
Mine is new, and is dark and sticky, just as it should be and has always been (I think ?! ) LOL
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
That's great if you're having a roast...pain in the backside if you're not
Actually marmite makes great gravy!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=R2D2]I agree
On the whole you can get most things here, but yes, crisps, cordial, Colemans packet mixes and a decent tin of baked beans would be on my list.
[QUOTE]

why would you want ot buy a packet mix when you can add all the ingredients minus the chemicals yourself?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:27 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Seconded. You don't need Bisto and all that crap, you just need some decent stock. And packet mixes to make casseroles, spaghetti bolognaise, etc ? How does that work? Just buy a recipe book or look at free recipe sites online. Stuffing, pasta sauces, gravy- they're all dead easy!

I will be taking Marmite, though: I haven't figured out a way to make that myself yet .
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

This may be a silly question but ...... can I take marmite, tea bags etc in with my shipment? What about alcohol? we have a few bottles given as presents which would be nice to bring out with us.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:53 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Morning all

Only thing that concerns me is a good cup of tea ... checked with my aunt and uncle who retired to Canada a couple of years ago and they get all their tea (cos they love Twinings Earl Grey) from English Tea Store

Same place does Bisto and Marmite AND a small selection of Walkers Crisps plus other goodies. Most produce originates in UK.

I think the company is based in Pennsylvania but apparently they ship to Canada on the same basis as shipping within USA. My Uncle says it usually takes about 3/4 days to reach him in Toronto although they only ship orders to Canada on a Thursday (not sure why?!?!)

Hope that helps ........ J
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I find it interesting that no one has said they miss Cadbury's. I know the stuff they claim to be Cadbury's doesn't taste anywhere near the same!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by firefox
Hi all,

Which foods that you canot get in canada should we take with us.
IE english mustard PG Tips tea and so on
many thanks
Andrew
White Spot, IHSO and Dairy Queens?, I will settle for a good Indian Takeaway. Alas ours only deliver up to 5 miles. So you Canadians are out of radius!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

hezbett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Happydayz
Its true...I spent 20 odd years in the UK, and always right to the last asked any family from here coming over to bring.....Kraft Dinner!!!! I know of all the things, but you always fancy a little of what you can no longer have ...and now we are here..Tony craves a tin of rice pudding...something we really hardy ever had in the UK...
I moved to the UK 4 1/2 years ago from Canada and spent a long time looking for jars of good dill pickles and peanut butter. You just can't get them here in the same way as in Canada. Likewise, i also missed KD and Crispy Crunches and got people or myself who went back to Canada to bring them back for me. The thing is though, I just replaced them with things that were new and interesting here.

Now that my husband and I are on our way back to Canada, I know he'll miss things like tea and marmite and good European beer. (I will be lost without orange & pineapple squash and am thinking of shipping over a crate of the stuff) But like I have the past 4 1/2 years, I'm sure he'll just start finding things that Canada has to offer that are different! And hopefully we'll have lots of people coming to Canada to visit!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gezza
White Spot, IHSO and Dairy Queens?, I will settle for a good Indian Takeaway. Alas ours only deliver up to 5 miles. So you Canadians are out of radius!
There are 2 Indian restaurants within a 5 minute walk of our house both of which serve excellent food.

BTW you must have done the quickest change of heart this board has ever seen.

22nd January 2006

February 2nd 2006

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.