Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Originally Posted by livermanl
Honestly the cheapest loaf of bread i have found in Canada is around $3.00.
Where are you located?

We can still get bread in Calgary for $1.75 -$2.00 per loaf on sale at Safeway.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly the cheapest loaf of bread i have found in Canada is around $3.00.
Italian Home Bakery brand bread, as sold at No Frills is $2.60 for each of a range of loaves. Even an Ace or Premiere Moisson baguette is less than three bucks.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:09 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Where are you located?

We can still get bread in Calgary for $1.75 -$2.00 per loaf on sale at Safeway.
Winnipeg,

I normally shop at superstore here as it is a lot cheaper than most other places. Food here is better quality I have no doubt about that but there isn't a basics range for people without a lot of money.

That is a big difference between the two countries.

You only notice the difference when you don't get a lot of groceries.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:10 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw some bread the other day for I think it was $1.25 or $1.50 a loaf, admittedly you probably wouldn't want to even feed it to the ducks at a local pond, but still.....
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:12 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Winnipeg,

I normally shop at superstore here as it is a lot cheaper than most other places. Food here is better quality I have no doubt about that but there isn't a basics range for people without a lot of money.

That is a big difference between the two countries.

You only notice the difference when you don't get a lot of groceries.
Do you not have a Maxi (Loblaws group I think) or SuperC?

They're discounters and maybe are a bit cheaper.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Superstore is Loblaws.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:15 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

They're discounters and maybe are a bit cheaper.
Not that i am aware of.

We have Superstore, extra foods, IGA, walmart and safeway...If i can think of any more i will edit this post.

Extra foods IGA and Superstore are all owned by the same people and extra food is more expensive than superstore, not too sure about IGA
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:23 pm

Extra foods IGA and Superstore are all owned by the same people
I believe you are wrong in that assumption.

IGA is owned by Sobeys I don't think they have anything to do with Superstore which is owned by the Loblaws Group.

Extra Foods is part of the Superstore, Loblaws Group.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:29 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

IGA is owned by Sobeys I don't think they have anything to do with Superstore which is owned by the Loblaws Group.

You're quite right there Steve. IGA tends to be more upmarket so won't help with lowering food costs.

We've only been to Loblaws once or twice so don't know if it's cheaper or more expensive than IGA. I imagine pretty similar.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:40 pm
Banned

Yes that's right we also have a Sobeys.

I don't know if it's the same all across Canada or if it is a Manitoba thing but Walmart varies it's prices from store to store...There was a big news story about how diapers are more expensive in the North end (cheaper area) than in the South of the city (more pricey area).
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:41 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Only the UK could feed a generation on packet mashed potato ("Smash").

A truly vile invention, only bested (worsted) by margarine (plastic slime that rats won't even eat)

R.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Only the UK could feed a generation on packet mashed potato ("Smash").

A truly vile invention, only bested (worsted) by margarine (plastic slime that rats won't even eat)

R.
There are instant mash brands in Canada aswell...

Don't touch the stuff it tastes like power no matter what you do to it.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:06 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

I just went to Asda online shopping site and a loaf of 'smartbread' (not the best quality i know) is 0.40p so it's 3p more since september. Honestly the cheapest loaf of bread i have found in Canada is around $3.00.

I only shop in supermarkets or maybe a corner store here and there so maybe if you go to a market/bakery it can be cheaper but i've not seen it.

It would be interesting to go out and buy canadian groceries and then with the reciept go onto asda, sainsburies or tesco online shopping service and get a price equivalent maybe i will do that next time i go shopping
As I said before, bread in the UK is too doughy. And for the kinds I get here in Canada, they are expensive even in Asda. White bread is cheap in the UK, but I don't buy it.

These days I get my bread at Superstore, and pay $2.69 (it's really gone up this year) for Flax bread, and the same for the Alpine grain. At Safeway, I often pick up low fat bread or Mountain Grain bread for $1.99, but it's a smaller loaf.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:11 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

You're quite right there Steve. IGA tends to be more upmarket so won't help with lowering food costs.

We've only been to Loblaws once or twice so don't know if it's cheaper or more expensive than IGA. I imagine pretty similar.
When I worked downtown, I often shopped at the IGA in downtown Vancouver. Man, that's an event in itself! That one store will showcase the differences between supermarkets in the UK and here. Not cheap, but not too pricey, and the variety is astounding. Everything so fresh, the meat and fish and veg plus a fantastic bakery where you will find so many varieties of breads it's mind-numbing! Now I've retired I mostly shop at Superstore or Safeway, but can't resist popping into the IGA on my infrequent trips downtown.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by startwin
As I said before, bread in the UK is too doughy. And for the kinds I get here in Canada, they are expensive even in Asda. White bread is cheap in the UK, but I don't buy it.

These days I get my bread at Superstore, and pay $2.69 (it's really gone up this year) for Flax bread, and the same for the Alpine grain. At Safeway, I often pick up low fat bread or Mountain Grain bread for $1.99, but it's a smaller loaf.
It comes down to choice. In England the choices you get vary from bad quality but cheap to good quality but expensive.

In Canada you don't get the choice of bad quality but cheap in a lot of things.

Again this is just based on my shopping experiences it may change across the country...i'm sure in Nova scotia the cost of fish compared to here would probably be a lot cheaper.

Gas in Manitoba right now is 89.9 what about Calgary and toronto? I'm guessing it is cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.