Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:43 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Food: Why no choice in Canada?

We have been in UK nearly 8 weeks and have not totally got used to all the wide choice of foods here. Our eyes still goggle as we go around the supermarket even if we don't buy everything. So why can't we get such a choice in Canada? We are Brits in Ontario and I don't think the rest of Canada is much different. Most supermarkets carry the same foods.

Whether it's sausages, bacon, cakes, bread whatever, there is far more choice in UK.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:46 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Costs too much to distribute.

Therefore you get a lot more local brands in your supermarkets.

If you get a local brand you only pay to take that product 100 miles whereas if you get a product made a long way away you have to pay to transport it a lot further and therefore the price goes up and out of many peoples budgets...
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
So why can't we get such a choice in Canada?
Logistics and population density. Its a great big country with next to no people. Its not worth the time and effort to duplicate choices. Except in the largest cities.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 27th 2008 at 3:55 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in UK nearly 8 weeks and have not totally got used to all the wide choice of foods here. Our eyes still goggle as we go around the supermarket even if we don't buy everything. So why can't we get such a choice in Canada? We are Brits in Ontario and I don't think the rest of Canada is much different. Most supermarkets carry the same foods.

Whether it's sausages, bacon, cakes, bread whatever, there is far more choice in UK.
We moved house recently and I have found that a difference of a few km makes a huge difference in the variety and quality of the food. There is much less choice though I agree.

I recently emailed Ikea asking them why Canadian prices were so much more than in the USA and UK, their reply was that Canada isn't such a large market so the options for lower prices are fewer. Similar to what liverman was saying.- and iaink
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been in UK nearly 8 weeks and have not totally got used to all the wide choice of foods here. Our eyes still goggle as we go around the supermarket even if we don't buy everything. So why can't we get such a choice in Canada?
I don't think this is true at least not of Toronto. It may be that individual supermarkets in Canada carry a limited range of goods but looking at the range of goods on offer as a whole I don't think there's anything (except instant grits) that's not available. Cheese, for example, is available in myriad variaties from three competing stalls in the St. Lawrence Market; whatever type you want one stall will have it.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:04 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

we were in field bc two years ago.....went to the only shop in town and asked if they had any veg.....was told could possibly get some down the road in another shop.......that other shop was 40k's away.....lol.......oh! also the milk was two days out of date. when we pointed this out to the shop keeper he said, and i quote his only responce 'so you don't want it then'?.....ha ha ha
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:07 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

There's an insane range of some things - like Popcorn, who needs about 10 different microwave popcorn options?

Admittedly there's a limited choice of some things like you mention though....

Move near to the border like me and you'll have a ridiculous amount of choice just 5 miles away
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

On a positive note it's much easier to find local stuff over here.

We very vary rarely go to supermarkets now, only Costco every six weeks or so for jumbo packs of loo rolls and washing up liquid, etc., and maybe Safeway at a similar interval for some tins and packets.

Other than that, we have a great butcher, several vegetable markets and general grocers, a bakers, a cheese shop (mmm, cheese) etc. within a few blocks. And unlike the UK the little guy is frequently cheaper than the supermarkets.

I like it!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:12 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
On a positive note it's much easier to find local stuff over here.

We very vary rarely go to supermarkets now, only Costco every six weeks or so for jumbo packs of loo rolls and washing up liquid, etc., and maybe Safeway at a similar interval for some tins and packets.

Other than that, we have a great butcher, several vegetable markets and general grocers, a bakers, a cheese shop (mmm, cheese) etc. within a few blocks. And unlike the UK the little guy is frequently cheaper than the supermarkets.

I like it!
I don't really agree with this statement.

My dad was a butcher back in england and he was always cheaper than supermarkets. His meat was also 'british' and generally organic he had been selling that organic meat cheaper than the supermakets regular meat it's just an inconvinience to have to shop at 6 different places in england.

The difference here is that life is slower and people have more time to shop around.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I think supermarkets here are also much more geared to what the very local population wants. Our local supermarkets, apart from having a huge range of cheese, sell everything you can possibly think of to put in a fondue. If you like couscous, you're also in luck.

Risotto rice, anything spicy, Marmite or Branston? Forget it.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think supermarkets here are also much more geared to what the very local population wants.
That's really noticeable with Loblaws. The one in Port Credit keeps meat and potatoes in a limited range of formats, there's 20' of ethnic items. The one at Vic Park and Gerrard seems to have every type of food ever invented, 20' of Newfie items alone.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's really noticeable with Loblaws. The one in Port Credit keeps meat and potatoes in a limited range of formats, there's 20' of ethnic items. The one at Vic Park and Gerrard seems to have every type of food ever invented, 20' of Newfie items alone.
Can't really blame them. What's the point in stocking stuff most of your customers won't buy, or even recognise?

The staff in my local SAQ don't even know what Pimms is.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:10 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

It's not the UK.

R.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:16 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You are 'Brits in Ontario'. So What? The Brits haven't been a dominant group here for many years now. There are over 1 million Indo-Canadians in the GTA to say nothing of the numbers of other ethnic groups, Italians, Portuguese, Pakistanis, Greeks, Chinese etc. The supermarkets couldn't possibly carry all the foods to suit all these different groups. Many of these other ethnics had the good sense to open up their own retail outlets with much success. Perhaps there's an opportunity for you, if you have their entrepreneurial spirit. As my mother would say to you, Too Bad, So Sad.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
As my mother would say to you, Too Bad, So Sad.
Is she very young, your mother?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.