Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:23 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not having a go at you, Dorothy, I'm just borrowing your phrase to highlight unfair criticisms posted elsewhere on these forums.

It never fails to amaze me that people move half way across the world and successfully adapt to new working practices, different climate, different pricing, different education systems, different attitudes, different governments, different legal systems, different driving practices etc etc and yet express a simple observation or regret about different products/something not available in shops and several posters suggest they should get used to differences in a different country as if they haven't done so already.

I think it was a perfectly legitimate question as to why such 'availability' differences exist between two countries of similar standing. And the answer was given.
Back in the uk i would either buy pre made steak puddings or pre-done suet pastry, i know that we are unable to get this here and wouldnt expect it, learning is fun
yeah the bread is full of stuff, that is why i make my own now and most stuff that i took for granted in the uk, i knew this in the uk, i also know that suet is pure fat, but some need abit of fat in there diet and pure healthy is no fun all the time.

I must also state that i also have IBS and my son is diabetic, so home made food is a mega must so we both know what we are eating, i have also found since being here, i dont get hassle with my IBS and his diabetic chart is fab

BUT then i do spend hours cooking now, where in the uk i was busy working, now i dont work, well i do actually cooking
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Not having a go at you, Dorothy, I'm just borrowing your phrase to highlight unfair criticisms posted elsewhere on these forums.

It never fails to amaze me that people move half way across the world and successfully adapt to new working practices, different climate, different pricing, different education systems, different attitudes, different governments, different legal systems, different driving practices etc etc and yet express a simple observation or regret about different products/something not available in shops and several posters suggest they should get used to differences in a different country as if they haven't done so already.

I think it was a perfectly legitimate question as to why such 'availability' differences exist between two countries of similar standing. And the answer was given.
I can certainly understand why people would discuss "availability differences" between different countries, but to ask the question "Food: Why no choice in Canada?" is a bit of a generalisation. I lived my first 40+ years in Canada and never found a lack of choice in the grocery stores.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:30 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I can certainly understand why people would discuss "availability differences" between different countries, but to ask the question "Food: Why no choice in Canada?" is a bit of a generalisation. I lived my first 40+ years in Canada and never found a lack of choice in the grocery stores.
People are just fussy, is all. Bonkers as a bag full of rats, too.

R.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

I guess alot about food is about comfort, and being away from 'home' people turn for comfort, and that for alot of us is food. Hence I guess why this topic will never go away.
Just a thought!
Bx
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I can certainly understand why people would discuss "availability differences" between different countries, but to ask the question "Food: Why no choice in Canada?" is a bit of a generalisation.
Agreed.

But the thread title has to attract people to the subject and is usually an afterthought after someone has written what they want to say. It is for me, anyway. It's hard to get a good, appropriate title that entices people in.

To be fair, the OP did say
Originally Posted by Pamela 1
..why can't we get such a choice in Canada......Whether it's sausages, bacon, cakes, bread whatever, there is far more choice in UK.
It was more a comment about fewer choices rather than no choice.

I think most people who comment agree the choice of ready made foods is more limited in Canada than the UK. Personally I'm more than happy with the food choices here especially as it generally costs less than the UK even before targeting the flyer specials.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moondevil
steve - i know that you told us about suet, bout some but can i say its strange ....ok how do you make suet pastry from that, i know that it says that its pre-mixed, like a flour bag, but tried a few ways and all i get is pure fat...help
The suet you have bought probably IS pure fat - it is just more finely ground than the Atora suet you are used to. What you need to do is blend it with the all purpose flour and baking powder (or SR flour if you have that) in the same proportions as in your normal dumpling recipe... add water etc and it will work. I must admit I dont tend to follow a particular recipe for mine - I tend to eye-ball all my cooking ingredients, but I haven't had a prob using the suet I have bought from Sobeys (and I noticed that the Superstore in Country Hills had the same brand earlier today too)

Originally Posted by leepee
Hey Mrsdv

Have you had a chance to go to the Calgary Farmer's Market yet....?

There is usually a pretty good fish stall there and you can get Alberta reared Bison...strongly recommended - almost like beef but no fat!

I also buy organic beef there and it is waaay cheaper than in the supermarkets...

Oh and there is a fantastic ice cream shop!!!
Lisa
I strongly recommend this! I LOVE the farmers market here - so different to the overpriced pretentious farmers markets I went to in the UK (might just be the area I lived in though!). We haven't been for a while because it is a pain to get to from where we live, but are planning on going this Saturday. The fish stall isn't cheap but the quality is good (and the staff there always showed my kids the lobsters, including taking one out for them to touch once!). The Bison is FANTASTIC too - we had that for Christmas dinner last year. And if you do go to the Farmers Market, you HAVE to buy a pie for lunch from the Simple Simons pie company... they are wonderful! Mind you my kids are embarrassing when we go to the market... they go round scarfing all the free samples they can find - it would be fine if it was just 1 or 2, but I have 4!
Originally Posted by MrsDV
Well, we've been in Calgary 5 months now and I find food shopping just fine. No fundamental difference to the UK. There's plenty of fresh meat, fruit and veg, good choice of rice pasta etc., all is well.
This is what we have found too... great choice in most supermarkets, some variation between them too (the things carried in the Safeway in Market Mall differs to that which is carried in the Coop opposite Northlands mall for example, and I have also noticed that the Superstore in Country Hills has different stock to the one off the junction of Sarcee trail and Country Hills boulevard (the latter one has a far better selection of ethnic foods for example and the fresh fruit/vegetable selections seem better to me too, but the Country Hills one seems to carry more ready-made goods and tends to have more reduced/bargain items)

Beyond a few items (decent (ie not to fatty) bacon, and until recently suet (thanks to the person who told me to look for it in Sobeys!), and possibly one or two other items) I have not had a problem finding anything I want to buy. Mind you, I mostly buy fresh meat and fish (occasionally frozen versions of the same), fresh fruit and veg and basic dried goods.... we don't eat pre-packaged or ready prepared foods because I have a dairy allergy and it was hard to find any pre-prepared food that didn't contain dairy products or lactose/lactic acid even in the UK, and here is not surprisingly no different.

Infact the only difference I really have noticed is the lack of a value brand in most supermarkets... most have an own brand but lack the value version (but superstore has that)

Last edited by LotteW; Nov 28th 2008 at 5:53 am. Reason: added something
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:56 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We have been in UK nearly 8 weeks and have not totally got used to all the wide choice of foods here. Our eyes still goggle as we go around the supermarket even if we don't buy everything. So why can't we get such a choice in Canada? We are Brits in Ontario and I don't think the rest of Canada is much different. Most supermarkets carry the same foods.

Whether it's sausages, bacon, cakes, bread whatever, there is far more choice in UK.
I was gutted when I first went to our local supermarket in N Van. I really missed the quick meals of M&S or Waitrose. It actually turned me into decent cook in the end. You have to adapt. While they dont carry the same range, I think the quality of veg was top notch. The thing i didnt miss about British supermarkets was the slapped arse face behind the till and the 50 yard queue.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rich_007
A special Elvis pill.

R.
Presley or Costello?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:37 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

But the thread title has to attract people to the subject and is usually an afterthought after someone has written what they want to say. It is for me, anyway. It's hard to get a good, appropriate title that entices people in.

To be fair, the OP did say

It was more a comment about fewer choices rather than no choice.

I think most people who comment agree the choice of ready made foods is more limited in Canada than the UK. Personally I'm more than happy with the food choices here especially as it generally costs less than the UK even before targeting the flyer specials.
This has not been the case for me.

In the UK we used to be able to do a weekly run for around 30-40GBP whereas here i can quite easily run up to $200 buying pretty much the same type of food.

When we first moved here we were very tight for money and i used to set a budget of $50-75 on groceries and it was possible but you really don't get a lot of food for that kind of money.

We are in the middle of Canada though so maybe that is why food is a lot higher here.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:23 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by livermanl
This has not been the case for me.

In the UK we used to be able to do a weekly run for around 30-40GBP whereas here i can quite easily run up to $200 buying pretty much the same type of food.

When we first moved here we were very tight for money and i used to set a budget of $50-75 on groceries and it was possible but you really don't get a lot of food for that kind of money.

We are in the middle of Canada though so maybe that is why food is a lot higher here.
What were you buying for £40 - £50 a week?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:24 pm
wannabecalgarian

xxTinksxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada2006
LOL.. That's what I wanna know too! I live on my own and I spend £35 upwards a week!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:31 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Pasta, rice, sauce, biscuits, rotisary chicken, mince, chicken breast, lunch meat, potatoes, bread you know the usual stuff. (It's only 2 of us).

You think that that bill is small my best friend shops once a month and excluding meat he spends 80GBP.

I went back in September and a loaf of bread in asda was 0.37, cornish pastys 4 for 0.97 (i think), scotch eggs under a pound, huge bag of pasta 3.50. It's not expensive there at all...If you buy luxery items then obviously you pay more but the basic range are all pretty cheap.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

I went back in September and a loaf of bread in asda was 0.37, cornish pastys 4 for 0.97 (i think), scotch eggs under a pound, huge bag of pasta 3.50. It's not expensive there at all...If you buy luxery items then obviously you pay more but the basic range are all pretty cheap.
I shop in Somerfield, which is hardly deluxe. A loaf of bread costs over a pound, if I recall correctly. Food prices are on the up & up.

When we visited Canada, when I was a kid, we were always amazed at how glitzy the supermarkets were, in comparison to the grubby old ones at home. I agree that - when I lived in London, Ontario - the Loblaws was no match for a Waitrose, but the choice of foods was still perfectly respectable.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by treehavn
I shop in Somerfield, which is hardly deluxe. A loaf of bread costs over a pound, if I recall correctly. Food prices are on the up & up.

When we visited Canada, when I was a kid, we were always amazed at how glitzy the supermarkets were, in comparison to the grubby old ones at home. I agree that - when I lived in London, Ontario - the Loblaws was no match for a Waitrose, but the choice of foods was still perfectly respectable.
I just went to Asda online shopping site and a loaf of 'smartbread' (not the best quality i know) is 0.40p so it's 3p more since september. Honestly the cheapest loaf of bread i have found in Canada is around $3.00.

I only shop in supermarkets or maybe a corner store here and there so maybe if you go to a market/bakery it can be cheaper but i've not seen it.

It would be interesting to go out and buy canadian groceries and then with the reciept go onto asda, sainsburies or tesco online shopping service and get a price equivalent maybe i will do that next time i go shopping
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:56 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Pasta, rice, sauce, biscuits, rotisary chicken, mince, chicken breast, lunch meat, potatoes, bread you know the usual stuff. (It's only 2 of us).

You think that that bill is small my best friend shops once a month and excluding meat he spends 80GBP.

Wow. Is 37p bread any good? We pay here around $4 for Premiere Moisson nut bread and it is fantastic. In the UK I just wouldn't pay so little for food as I'd be concerned about what went it in.

On the otherhand, we're vegetarians so we don't have a huge bill for meat and that offsets the extra we pay for organic vegetables. Rice we always buy from ethnic shops as it's so much cheaper and better quality. Pasta we always buy Italian brands, and did so in Europe, as it has a better taste. Premade frozen foods we don't tend to buy.

It comes down a lot to how you consider food. We look prinicipally at quality and nutrition. I do know people for whom paying extra for a better taste is less important to them than paying extra for quantity. It comes down to personal preference of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.