Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food: Why no choice in Canada?

Originally Posted by Lychee
You know, I don't think we get milk in bags in BC! I've seen it in Ontario and Quebec, but not in BC.
We used to get milk in bags a long time ago in Alberta, but not any more.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What's wrong with it? It's milk.

Babies don't seem to mind milk in bags.
It does'nt taste the same!! Not only that but seeing as though Canada is a tree huggin nation its not environmentally friendly to have it in a non recyclable plastic bag!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:45 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What's wrong with it? It's milk.

Babies don't seem to mind milk in bags.
I thought they preferred milk in jugs though?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:46 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I thought they preferred milk in jugs though?
Powdered egg too ?

I remember my dad saying he was amazed the first time he saw a banana after the war.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:47 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

You can often tell who is new to Canada based on their obsession with switching everything to pounds. I can understand if someone is researching and thinking of moving here but once you are here you have to look at the entire of cost of living relative to what you earn etc. Housing, dental, medical, recreation, activities for children, gas, heating costs, clothes etc.

My wages are much higher here than in the UK (by as much as 25 percent) and great benefits (free dental, BC medical plan paid, unlimited sick days etc). This of course will be relative based on what one does for a living.

I find overall that cost/standard of living is better in Canada - and i live in Vancouver!

40 pence for a loaf, hmmm you can keep it thanks

The last time I was in Manchester I did n't notice a dramatic difference, although I can't say I was really paying attention. I did notice that fine dining was a lot more expensive in the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:07 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Happydayz
I found when we came to Canada 3 years ago, we found that we couldnt find all the food we had been used to buying in the UK...ready made this, pre packed that, from every corner of the world...we missed the choice (a bit, ) I missed the convenance (alot)BUT three years down the line...20 pounds lighter and no more need for Heartburn meds in the cupboard I think that its not just takeouts...but all that choice in the UK, isnt the best for your health.....I know it wasnt good for my waist line.......I have to be a bit more creative here , but I dont miss the UK Tescos shop anymore
So true, the UK is only just behind the US in obesity rates. I have really noticed a big difference in the past 20 years since i left.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
You can often tell who is new to Canada based on their obsession with switching everything to pounds. I can understand if someone is researching and thinking of moving here but once you are here you have to look at the entire of cost of living relative to what you earn etc. Housing, dental, medical, recreation, activities for children, gas, heating costs, clothes etc.

My wages are much higher here than in the UK (by as much as 25 percent) and great benefits (free dental, BC medical plan paid, unlimited sick days etc). This of course will be relative based on what one does for a living.

I find overall that cost/standard of living is better in Canada - and i live in Vancouver!

40 pence for a loaf, hmmm you can keep it thanks

The last time I was in Manchester I did n't notice a dramatic difference, although I can't say I was really paying attention. I did notice that fine dining was a lot more expensive in the UK.
Well- I have been here since 2002 and am not obsessed but just like to keep an eye on how things compare.

I actually make my own bread which is far nicer than shop bought, but I think paying $2.79 per loaf is a bit steep!!

Dining has ALWAYS been more expensive in the UK..I would'nt say that mu salary has increased dramatically since I have been in Canada- the banks here pay far less than they do in the UK.

Think it depends on which part of Canada you live!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Well I think that Tesco's would do a roaring trade here... bread is cheaper in the UK as are a lot of things...I sometimes go to Tesco's online and do a dummy shop- its cheaper than here in Canada.. and whats with the milk in bags here.....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I disagree. I think Tesco wouldn't be that much cheaper than anyone else after they've spent money setting up here.

There is plenty of food choice in Canada, though you may not find the same choices in each Province. You have to consider that Tesco will transport from distribution centre to store, an average radius of about 200 miles/320km. From Toronto out, that distance would take you to roughly Niagara Falls Windsor, Sudbury and Brockville.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:52 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I disagree. I think Tesco wouldn't be that much cheaper than anyone else after they've spent money setting up here.

There is plenty of food choice in Canada, though you may not find the same choices in each Province. You have to consider that Tesco will transport from distribution centre to store, an average radius of about 200 miles/320km. From Toronto out, that distance would take you to roughly Niagara Falls Windsor, Sudbury and Brockville.
I must admit the only thing i really miss about tesco is knowing where everything is, $3 for bread is normal if you are paying for quality bread, same as the uk i would pay 1.50 or just under for a decent loaf, i save here as i make my own
If you bought cheap bread in the uk, then yes you would pay lower

I miss some of the cerals and also the squash that we bought, but change is good and the kids have learnt quickly to get used to different flavours

Since arriving i have really had to shop around for food and find real canadian to be the best for choice for our family.
When i was in kingston, ontario i found afew of the supermarkets expensive, but good quality food and a very wide choice of foods.

We was advised by a local in kingston to buy a freezer and stock when certain foods are on 'sale'
It works for us in alberta now brilliant and i find it cheap to eat out and also cheaper to make the meals
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:55 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We have been in UK nearly 8 weeks and have not totally got used to all the wide choice of foods here. Our eyes still goggle as we go around the supermarket even if we don't buy everything. So why can't we get such a choice in Canada? We are Brits in Ontario and I don't think the rest of Canada is much different. Most supermarkets carry the same foods.

Whether it's sausages, bacon, cakes, bread whatever, there is far more choice in UK.
And more fatties.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
I actually make my own bread which is far nicer than shop bought, but I think paying $2.79 per loaf is a bit steep!!
Me too. I leave it there at that price.

My local meat/fish/fruit/veg/general store has good bread for $1.89 and the drug store also has acceptable bread for $1.79 as a matter of routine.

At least one week in three, between the two main supermarkets and the same drug store, top quality bread will be available for between $1.40 and $2.00.

Just another example of something that can be bought for well under 'normal' price with minimal effort.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
We was advised by a local in kingston to buy a freezer and stock when certain foods are on 'sale'
It works for us in alberta now
Another one joins the club.

And the best thing is you don't have to buy loads of the 'specials' to cover needs until the next time it comes around as they come around so often.

Once you get used to how often the offers come around on all the different products and also which offer to ignore because it was better last week and it will be better again next week, you can gauge how much of something to buy without filling your freezer and still have room for whatever is half price next week.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:26 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livermanl
Costs too much to distribute.

Therefore you get a lot more local brands in your supermarkets.

If you get a local brand you only pay to take that product 100 miles whereas if you get a product made a long way away you have to pay to transport it a lot further and therefore the price goes up and out of many peoples budgets...
Personally, I think this is a piss poor excuse and I doubt if there's any truth in it. It's a valid point in the case of NWT etc, but shouldnt really ring true in places like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto etc.
It's not as if Canada is a million miles from anywhere- they border the largest consumer nation on earth. As has been mentioned, cross the border and you can get practically anything you want within just a couple of miles of Canada.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We have been in UK nearly 8 weeks and have not totally got used to all the wide choice of foods here. Our eyes still goggle as we go around the supermarket even if we don't buy everything. So why can't we get such a choice in Canada? We are Brits in Ontario and I don't think the rest of Canada is much different. Most supermarkets carry the same foods.

Whether it's sausages, bacon, cakes, bread whatever, there is far more choice in UK.
Yes, there is more of a variety of convenience foods in the UK and much of the food is not as highly processed as in North America. But I find that fresh fruit and salad items are more available here. Everything seems to be sold in small quantities in the UK. I am sure Canada's proximity to Central and South America helps.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moondevil
Back in the uk i would either buy pre made steak puddings or pre-done suet pastry, i know that we are unable to get this here and wouldnt expect it, learning is fun
yeah the bread is full of stuff, that is why i make my own now and most stuff that i took for granted in the uk, i knew this in the uk, i also know that suet is pure fat, but some need abit of fat in there diet and pure healthy is no fun all the time.

I must also state that i also have IBS and my son is diabetic, so home made food is a mega must so we both know what we are eating, i have also found since being here, i dont get hassle with my IBS and his diabetic chart is fab

BUT then i do spend hours cooking now, where in the uk i was busy working, now i dont work, well i do actually cooking
And you probably eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. However, the UK is great for convenience foods but fruit and vegetables seem to be in abundance in Canada. This may be due to Canada's proximity to Central and South America. Whilst recently in M&S, in the UK, I was surprised to see that a bulk pack of apples actually contained four apples. Many foods though are too highly processed in North America, hence the lack of my gall bladder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.