Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying dogs to Calgary

Flying dogs to Calgary

Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

apfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant future
Smile Flying dogs to Calgary

Can anyone give me some advice on flying dogs to Canada when we (hopefully) move there next year. We have been quoted by a number of Companies who had stands at the Emigration show 2005 but they all seem very expensive. Has anyone flown their dogs out via the airline, what are the costs and what is involved.

All help greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying dogs to Calgary

What does your dog weigh, and where are you starting your journey from?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apfairhurst
Can anyone give me some advice on flying dogs to Canada when we (hopefully) move there next year. We have been quoted by a number of Companies who had stands at the Emigration show 2005 but they all seem very expensive. Has anyone flown their dogs out via the airline, what are the costs and what is involved.

There have been a great number of flying dog threads. I believe the bottom line is :

- most airlines will take dogs as accompanied baggage but only up to a certain weight, 60lbs ?

- a few airlines will take the dog as unaccompanied baggage again subject to size.

- dog shippers cost a lot but the dog usually arrives intact in the right airport.

If I recall correctly the lowest cost quoted was about three hundred quid + crate for accompanied and the worst three thousand for a dog shipping company.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Our two German Shepherds arived safe and sound in Calgary 10 days ago. They were shipped by Airpets who did an excellent although eye wateringly expensive job.

They charged £2800 which included 5 nights boarding at their kennels. The shipping paperwork indicated that about £2000 of this was the cargo charge by Air Canada which should be what it would cost you if you were to arrange the air cargo yourself.

However, if the total weight of dog plus shipping crate is less that 32 kg then you can take them as excess baggage. This new weight restriction came into place on 12th October this year. Prior to that it was 32 kg (or there abouts) for the dog along . As excess baggage the cost is of the order of £200 per dog. I can't remember the exact fees. Add £100 or so per crate. Don't skimp here since the airlines will refuse to transport a dog in an inappropraitely sized dog crate

Another option is to travel via Gatwick inctead of Heathrow. I believe that either Air Transat or Zoom will allow you take dogs as excess baggage as well. The cost is cheaper than Air Canada but synchronising flights with space for dogs can be problematic. You must travel on the same flight as your dogs with this option. That was why we couldn't use them.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

apfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What does your dog weigh, and where are you starting your journey from?
Hello BiiiiNK
We will be flying from London to Calgary. We have two dogs. Basil is an Irish Terrier and probably weighs around 20 pounds. William is a Doberman cross Labrador and he probably weighs 45 pounds. Regards
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
There have been a great number of flying dog threads. I believe the bottom line is :

- most airlines will take dogs as accompanied baggage but only up to a certain weight, 60lbs ?

- a few airlines will take the dog as unaccompanied baggage again subject to size.

- dog shippers cost a lot but the dog usually arrives intact in the right airport.

If I recall correctly the lowest cost quoted was about three hundred quid + crate for accompanied and the worst three thousand for a dog shipping company.
Hello dbd33

Many thanks for your advice. Hows the weather in sunny Toronto? Regards
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello dbd33

Many thanks for your advice. Hows the weather in sunny Toronto? Regards
It hints at snow but none is falling. I hope it holds off as I'd like to take the dog for a run on the beach tonight and it's easier if I can see him.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Flying dogs to Calgary

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Our two German Shepherds arived safe and sound in Calgary 10 days ago. They were shipped by Airpets who did an excellent although eye wateringly expensive job.

They charged £2800 which included 5 nights boarding at their kennels. The shipping paperwork indicated that about £2000 of this was the cargo charge by Air Canada which should be what it would cost you if you were to arrange the air cargo yourself.

However, if the total weight of dog plus shipping crate is less that 32 kg then you can take them as excess baggage. This new weight restriction came into place on 12th October this year. Prior to that it was 32 kg (or there abouts) for the dog along . As excess baggage the cost is of the order of £200 per dog. I can't remember the exact fees. Add £100 or so per crate. Don't skimp here since the airlines will refuse to transport a dog in an inappropraitely sized dog crate

Another option is to travel via Gatwick inctead of Heathrow. I believe that either Air Transat or Zoom will allow you take dogs as excess baggage as well. The cost is cheaper than Air Canada but synchronising flights with space for dogs can be problematic. You must travel on the same flight as your dogs with this option. That was why we couldn't use them.
Hello Posidrive

Many thanks for your advice. Kind regards.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:15 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I flew my 2 dogs and cat on the same flight as us, British Airways from LHR to Toronto. The total cost was £660 for all three. They flew as Excess Baggage. It was a breeze.