Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fisherman's Cove in Halifax

Fisherman's Cove in Halifax

Old May 9th 2012, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Zhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to behold
Default Fisherman's Cove in Halifax

Hi! We are in the final stages of planning our 2 week recce in June. NB/NS
There are numerous threads on the subject on BE and I've spent hours browsing through them, which was very useful.
I do have a question though I haven't found an answer to and maybe someone would be able to help us.
I was looking at Delta Barrington hotel in Halifax suggested by one of the BE members, but it was fully booked for our dates. So I booked another big downtown hotel - just a chain,convenient, no character.

I then came across a place called Inn at Fisherman's Cove. I like the idea of our 7 years old daughter seeing fishing boats coming in in the mornings from a sea-view balcony. But then I went on Google maps and looked around - now I am not sure. Does anyone know anything about Fisherman's Cove area? Mind you, I then looked around our hotel and it looks a little grim as well, so I 'travelled' in street-view all around downtown Halifax and it all looked a touch depressing. I have read so many good things about Halifax though, maybe someone could suggest what we should go see there (other than just employers and realtors )
Many thanks for any advice and ideas!!
Old May 9th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fisherman's Cove in Halifax

Hi,
I went to Fisherman's Cove on our recce in March. It was a lovely place to look around and have something to eat. I don't know if I would use it as a base though. However I am sure it will lovely in the summer!
We stayed in the Chocolate Lake Hotel just outside of the city centre in Halifax. It was a great hotel and location. Have a lovely trip I loved every minute of it and cannot wait to go back to live and work
Old May 9th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Not been to fisherman's cove, but if you are looking for somewhere in downtown Halifax I always stay at the Waverley inn. It's got lots of character & the staff have always been friendly & helpful, good location too. Definitely visit the public gardens they are beautiful, and the Maritime museum is also good & I think it's free on a tuesday evening but you may want to double check that. Also take a trip to Peggy's cove.

Last edited by confused_uk; May 9th 2012 at 11:10 am.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Used to live in Eastern Passage, right by Fishermans cove, and the Inn. It is a nice area to live but not much goes on down there, you will feel a little isolated. The Inn is ok, but there are much better options downtown, with much more going on.

No matter how the Inn advertises, sitting on balconies watching fishing boats , the reality is that you will not really see them coming in and out, they usually leave before daybreak and get back late at night too; the small creek that it sits on has also been known to stink during the summer, as there is not a great deal of moving water; there is a stray cat problem around there due to the rat problem, that small fishing wharfs have, plus the parking lot next door to the Inn attracts alot of unsavoury kids at night.

My advice would be to stay downtown, pm me and let me know where you have booked, i will give you an accurate critique or help you find something better, I was a hotel manager in Halifax for 6 years so know most properties very well.
Old May 11th 2012, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Stayed at Chocolate Lake Hotel many times and thoroughly recommend it. Excellent staff and great location. Recently had to stay in Halifax as we had problems with our well and got a fantastic deal at the Lord Nelson right by the public gardens in downtown. $120 per night for family of five. Colleagues have since told me that it frequently has great deals and they stay there for nights in town.
Have also stayed at Lakeview suites at Bayers Lake and it was good too.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Zhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks to everyone! Your advice is most useful and I'm now ready to make up my mind as of where to stay