Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

First Fact Finding Trip to NB/NS

First Fact Finding Trip to NB/NS

Old May 19th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

TrudyTeresa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First Fact Finding Trip to NB/NS

We will need work yes. My hubbie Craig is a plumber/bathroom fitter but also has a degree in Sports Science and coaching and teaching experience! I have been an estate agent here for 11 years but also have a degree on Social Policy and experience in many work fields. We are prepared to do whatever it takes to have a comfortable and happy life over there
Old May 19th 2011, 8:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrudyTeresa
We will need work yes. My hubbie Craig is a plumber/bathroom fitter but also has a degree in Sports Science and coaching and teaching experience! I have been an estate agent here for 11 years but also have a degree on Social Policy and experience in many work fields. We are prepared to do whatever it takes to have a comfortable and happy life over there
Then I suggest you buy a house near to where you are working. I'm not being sarcastic, but the work gives you money to have the lifestyle you want. It's a necessary evil. If you do it the other way around, it can be costly due to the blood sucking Realtors.

Last edited by Tangram; May 19th 2011 at 8:49 pm.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

We want to have a comfortable but not flash and expensive life, hence choosing Moncton or Fredericton. Not wanting to make loadsa dosh and blow it all living in an expensive place. Life is way too short.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

We want to have a comfortable but not flash and expensive life, hence choosing Moncton or Fredericton. Not wanting to make loadsa dosh and blow it all living in an expensive place. Life is way too short.
Nowhere did I say if you want a flash life....etc etc

But bills are bills, and heating costs are just that....costs. They all have to be paid for and for that you need cash and therefore decent employment, unless you aim to eat soil for the rest of your blissful life.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Where would you say was the best place to live in out of the three? Do I sense a bit of Moncton dislike?
Old May 19th 2011, 9:04 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Where would you say was the best place to live in out of the three? Do I sense a bit of Moncton dislike?
I refer you to post #17.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Fair Do's I take on board your point.

On a jollier note how do you like Frederiction?
Old May 19th 2011, 9:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Fair Do's I take on board your point.

On a jollier note how do you like Frederiction?
90% like. Short on certain things, mostly consumer choice, but that's what you get in a small Uni/Gov town. Having come from the Cotswolds as our last abode in the UK, used to it.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

We have extended family in Fredericton so its a option. Lots to consider. Whats the job market like in Fredericton?

Cotswolds is Beautiful, shame its wasted on the uk!
Old May 19th 2011, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

edwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant future

Hi, I have attached the requirements for a plumber in NB (from the gov. website) for your interest.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...eyword=plumber

Also a job ad;
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/detail-eng....derNum=5734669
Old May 20th 2011, 12:36 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Check out MLS and Property Guys. There are 3 main areas - Moncton itself (older houses near the centre plus lots of new estates with big detached houses on small lots for reasonable prices), Riverview (lots of new houses being built, seems to get the best feedback on BE and friendly people), and Dieppe (mostly French speakers, very unfriendly, expensive houses).

Would prefer Durham any day..............
Old May 21st 2011, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cxx
Check out MLS and Property Guys. There are 3 main areas - Moncton itself (older houses near the centre plus lots of new estates with big detached houses on small lots for reasonable prices), Riverview (lots of new houses being built, seems to get the best feedback on BE and friendly people), and Dieppe (mostly French speakers, very unfriendly, expensive houses).

Would prefer Durham any day..............
Have you been to Durham!?
Old May 21st 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by edwinslad
Hi, I have attached the requirements for a plumber in NB (from the gov. website) for your interest.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...eyword=plumber

Also a job ad;
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/detail-eng....derNum=5734669
Thanku for the tips
Old May 21st 2011, 8:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Durham!?
City or county? I think Durham itself (the city) is infinitely preferable to almost everywhere in Canada.

Some parts of County Durham, not so much.
Old May 21st 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
City or county? I think Durham itself (the city) is infinitely preferable to almost everywhere in Canada.

Some parts of County Durham, not so much.
Durham City is pretty but expensive and full of rahh students at mo. Why are you in Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.