British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   First Fact Finding Trip to NB/NS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/first-fact-finding-trip-nb-ns-717413/)

TrudyTeresa May 17th 2011 8:32 am

First Fact Finding Trip to NB/NS

:)Hello All,

Myself and my Husband after lots of internet research and help from Brazolot Migration Co are currently planning our first fact finding trip to Canada. We are focusing on Halifax, Moncton & Fredericton. Could anyone recommend any reasonably priced hotels?

Any other tips welcome as we are starting with a blank canvas!x

Reaver May 17th 2011 8:39 am

Re: First Fact Finding Trip to NB/NS

A little information goes a long way. The more you can tell us, the more likely somebody will be able to help.

How are you hoping to emigrate?
Do you have job offers already?
Do you have family in that particular area?

All these bits of info will affect the type of info and tips people give you I would imagine.

GandH May 17th 2011 8:51 am

We were on a holiday in the Maritimes a couple of years ago, but also did a bit of a reccie as well. In Halifax we stayed at a Courtyard Marriot on Salter Street: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ifax-downtown/ a Marriot Residence Inn in Moncton: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...e-inn-moncton/ and at Brennans B&B in Fredericton (our favourite by a long way) http://www.bbcanada.com/3892.html

Hope these are of some help and good luck to you. :thumbup:

christmasoompa May 17th 2011 8:53 am

Best tip is to search the forum for Willis Brazolot and see what's been said about them in the past! :eek:

Hopefully those that live in NS/NB will be able to give you useful tips, or you will probably find previous threads with recommendations that may help.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

edwinslad May 17th 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by TrudyTeresa (Post 9370656)
:)Hello All,

Myself and my Husband after lots of internet research and help from Brazolot Migration Co are currently planning our first fact finding trip to Canada. We are focusing on Halifax, Moncton & Fredericton. Could anyone recommend any reasonably priced hotels?

Any other tips welcome as we are starting with a blank canvas!x

Request the doersandreamers guide for Nova Scotia online. Lots of useful info.

https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx

TrudyTeresa May 17th 2011 9:21 am

Thank you all for the quick responses!

We already researched Brazolot quite a bit which is why we chose them and so far they have been fab! But thank you for the tip.

We are applying on the skilled workers scheme (my husband is a plumber) and our application has just gone in so we know it will be at least a year before anything starts to happen.

We have extended family in Fredericton but think it may be a little quiet for us. We have been recommended and researched Moncton and thought Halifax and Frederiction would be good alternatives as they all very different? We area planning a 11 night trip and struggling to know how many nights to spend where. We are bound to go and wish we had spent more nights in one place.

Thank you so much for the hotel recommendations - we had already picked the Moncton one as a fav after Trip Advisor research - spooky! Just after places that are clean and comfortable as research bases.

Just going to have a look on the doers & dreamer site now!:D:D

Piff Poff May 17th 2011 11:48 am

Now you've found this site and unless you have extenuating circumstances then a immigration consultant is not needed, you will do most the work yourself anyway.

nikki dreaming May 17th 2011 1:22 pm

would suggest you try a more detailed search of this forum for willis brazalot:huh:

kazbob May 17th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming (Post 9371134)
would suggest you try a more detailed search of this forum for willis brazalot:huh:

I agree with Nikki. You will get more honest reviews and information by searching this site.

Also, the Doers and Dreamers Guide, as previously recommended is a brilliant brochure to have - we have been to NS numerous times and have used it quite alot.

Good luck.

Karen

Winston Green May 18th 2011 2:38 am

I believe there is a doers & dreamers for NB as well. I am sure I got a physical copy from the saltscapes show this year. Failing that you could get all the tourist info at the airport on arrival. Just spend a few minutes talking to the welcomers at the airport.I would spend half time in Halifax and half in NB.

readytomove May 18th 2011 6:51 am

Originally Posted by GandH (Post 9370709)
We were on a holiday in the Maritimes a couple of years ago, but also did a bit of a reccie as well. In Halifax we stayed at a Courtyard Marriot on Salter Street: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ifax-downtown/ a Marriot Residence Inn in Moncton: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...e-inn-moncton/ and at Brennans B&B in Fredericton (our favourite by a long way) http://www.bbcanada.com/3892.html

Hope these are of some help and good luck to you. :thumbup:

I second Bennans! We have stayed there twice, the second time for a month after first moving here. Beautiful house and the owners John and Noreen and really friendly and helpful.

TrudyTeresa May 18th 2011 8:21 am

Thank you again for your your helpful replies. I was a tad worried when read about Willis Brazolot but read both good and bad things and to be fair I can't fault them so far. Couldn't have organized things without them. As one lady said only bad news only tends to make the news which is an upside and downside of the tinterweb! Will keep a careful eye on things anyway so thanks folks!;)

I am thinking we might fly to Halifax from Heathrow, drive to Moncton for 4 nights then to Frederiction for 3 nights and come back for a final 4 nights at Halifax.

My head is still spinning with all the options and we are only planning a trip!x:rofl:

BristolUK May 18th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by TrudyTeresa (Post 9373278)
I am thinking we might fly to Halifax from Heathrow, drive to Moncton for 4 nights then to Frederiction for 3 nights and come back for a final 4 nights at Halifax.

An edited previous comment of mine.

I like that I can live well enough here on modest resources.
I think of Moncton as more of a town than a city and while there's nothing particularly attractive about its appearance there is plenty to do and plenty within easy reach.

There are nice parks, a lovely beach nearby and I find the housing very attractive. People come from quite far (even NS) to the Mall here. It's not a particularly attractive place from outside...but they're just shops. They don't have to be attractive.;) It's not unlike The Mall just outside Bristol

Not a good place to visit as a tourist (except for shopping and some bigger concerts or sports occasions) but a good place to live.
When we did our house-hunting trip here, we stayed 4 nights. The first day and a half we spent with our realtor driving us around to look at several likely homes to buy. So we covered quite a lot of the residential areas further away from the 'downtown' and part of Riverview. The remaining two days we spent looking around downtown, checking out Champlain Mall, the cinemas, bookshops and walking around a little away from the downtown.

We also tried some of the restaurants - they are very varied - there's even a Mongolian place.:blink: Cora's is a must for brekky:)

I think we covered quite a lot and saw enough to be happy with the move here. We obviously did other research too. In the nearly 6 years we've been living here we've not had any nasty surprises. We didn't really need as long as we had here and, remember, two days were on foot.

I think you should allow more time for Halifax and Fredericton than Moncton unless you wanted to see more outside of Moncton...perhaps looking to buy a home outside. But you can buy not too far away from downtown and feel away from the hustle and bustle (don't laugh :rofl: it's relative) while close to all the amenities anyway.

TrudyTeresa May 19th 2011 8:18 am

Thank you for the Moncton overview. Its pretty much perfect and backs up everything we have read so far. We are far from wanting to live in the flashiest city, we are much more down to earth and after a simple and happy life to raise a future family comfortably in. At the mo we live in a small town inbetween two bustling cities in the uk which are lovely to visit but would rather live on the outskirts. We did intend to view some houses to get an idea of what we can get for our money.

We will definatley check out those restaurants. Are there any areas that are more popular to live in Moncton? We are bugeting around $200,000 ish!!:)

I am sure I will think of loads more questions.

Tangram May 19th 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by TrudyTeresa (Post 9375723)
Thank you for the Moncton overview. Its pretty much perfect and backs up everything we have read so far. We are far from wanting to live in the flashiest city, we are much more down to earth and after a simple and happy life to raise a future family comfortably in. At the mo we live in a small town inbetween two bustling cities in the uk which are lovely to visit but would rather live on the outskirts. We did intend to view some houses to get an idea of what we can get for our money.

We will definatley check out those restaurants. Are there any areas that are more popular to live in Moncton? We are bugeting around $200,000 ish!!:)

I am sure I will think of loads more questions.

Do you need to work ?