Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding work in Calgary

Finding work in Calgary

Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in Calgary

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Well I just landed a job in a bank and it was pretty easy () but then again I'm lovely and not arrogant!

FWIW please listen to those that know.

You can't just storm into Canada and expect people to fall at your feet. It really is a case of who you know

Yes my banking experience helped, but also the fact that I lived locally, banked with the bank, and could make small talk about local issues to the manager during the interview (aside from obviously proving I can actually do the job).

Who you know, and how you know them is so big it's not even funny. Get yourselves out in social circles - I'll bet theres a man that knows a man that'll put you on the right path!
Congrats on the job !!

I do think that people are being a little harsh on the OP though. I doubt that they are coming across to the employers etc., in the same way they are on the forum - I think it's more a case of their frustration showing and needing to vent, so perhaps give them a break?

It isn't easy to find a job but it's not impossible and I have to agree that it really is more of the case in Canada of 'who you know' not necessarily what you know.

I got my first job in Canada by being a member of BE! The person who hired me advertised on here - I applied - and then he did some checking on me (careful what you write on a forum, lol) and invited me for an interview and offered me the job. I have to say that he and his partner were the best people I have ever worked for and I was really upset when I was made redundant.

Now if only I could find another BE'er who needed an administrative assistant.........

Hang in there OP - something will turn up.

Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, it can be helpful to vent a bit. Spare the guy a little slack.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the last 2 comments and its fair to say I was venting and had probably encountered some unhelpful people in my job search as we're all bound to do when we want something. I am getting on better and filling time with study for an exam I sit in 3 weeks.

My best advice to anyone out there going through the same - use Linkedin extensively for hiring contacts and visit any spuriously relevant hiring fairs as well become a shameless opportunist by starting conversations that lead to discussing what you're trying to do - most people out there DO like to help and feel they've supported you on the road to getting a job. I have a solid lead for ATB Financial to follow up next week. Best to all...