Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding work in Calgary

Finding work in Calgary

Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough
Default Finding work in Calgary

Hi. We are a married couple recently moved to Calgary on FSW1 visas 2 months ago and now have apartment, car and most if not all of the necessaries etc though we are still waiting for health cards and PR cards in the post.

We have taken advice and constructed Canadian styled "resumes" and are applying - her as an OT to Alberta Health Services and me as a Commercial/Corporate banker but not as many vacancies as you might expect (given everyone says the place is alive with jobs) and hard to get past these blasted online application systems which stink. Any suggestions? I'm going to a banking/insurance hiring fair in a week and she is going to target a specific hospital and ask to meet people.

Despite out best efforts there seems to be a bit of an arrogance about all foreign experience and qualifications being substandard - being British I'm inclined to think the opposite is true in our case but we still need to overcome it.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in Calgary

Originally Posted by 99problems
Hi. We are a married couple recently moved to Calgary on FSW1 visas 2 months ago and now have apartment, car and most if not all of the necessaries etc though we are still waiting for health cards and PR cards in the post.

We have taken advice and constructed Canadian styled "resumes" and are applying - her as an OT to Alberta Health Services and me as a Commercial/Corporate banker but not as many vacancies as you might expect (given everyone says the place is alive with jobs) and hard to get past these blasted online application systems which stink. Any suggestions? I'm going to a banking/insurance hiring fair in a week and she is going to target a specific hospital and ask to meet people.

Despite out best efforts there seems to be a bit of an arrogance about all foreign experience and qualifications being substandard - being British I'm inclined to think the opposite is true in our case but we still need to overcome it.
The first question that jumps to mind is: is your wife registered to work as an OT in Alberta through ACOT?: http://www.acot.ca/pages/New_Applicants_new
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That can't be a surprise though surely? The all important 'Canadian experience' requirement is mentioned often on this forum. And in a few Wiki articles too - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Workpl...ptation-Canada

2 months isn't long to be job hunting so don't despair yet.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Some local folk I spoke to said this was not always so. Do you infer that they think your experience is substandard, or do they say so?

I think if it is, it is related to knowing Canadian contacts, market etc. Be positive in the way you express it, and say that you will be comfortable with coming up to speed with those aspects.

Banking jobs seem centred in Toronto but I am confident with contacts from the banking fair, you should find some good leads into Calgary banking. Put on a good presentation, and best of luck.

Last edited by januarymix; Jun 13th 2013 at 9:31 am.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is to aim low. Consider anything at all vaguely in your field. If you are good, you will move through the corporations quickly, and even if it's six months doing something not quite up your alley, it's six months more experience than you have right now.

For your wife, I would think it's easier to equate her qualifications and experience. She is either qualified by Canadian authorities to work or not. Unfortunately, Alberta Health is going through a bit of a tight squeeze on the hiring front right now. If nothing is coming up exactly what she wants, then my advice is the same - aim for something vaguely in her field....

Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice from Ann in a struggling market.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Reverse arrogance?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Thanks to all re advice. Just struggling a little to gain traction.

I don't think we are arrogant as have both passed Canadian registration exams making us immediately employable and had our UK degrees assessed as Canadian equivalents at expense and in both our chosen professions it is apparent the Canadian systems are some way behind. The infrastructure here just isn't developed enough to assess and "equivalize" foreign credentials and experience as say the UK does when employing foreign doctors or other professions. We just need a few tips on how to "break though" this.

I have a recruiter contact in Toronto now helping me with my resume style and the careers fair next week should prove useful. I think its a fair point to make that a country trying to attract foreign skilled workers should engage to tell them how to make themselves employable - this is happening slowly - not least its in the interest of Canadians to fill vacancies.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Thanks to all re advice. Just struggling a little to gain traction.

I don't think we are arrogant as have both passed Canadian registration exams making us immediately employable and had our UK degrees assessed as Canadian equivalents at expense and in both our chosen professions it is apparent the Canadian systems are some way behind. The infrastructure here just isn't developed enough to assess and "equivalize" foreign credentials and experience as say the UK does when employing foreign doctors or other professions. We just need a few tips on how to "break though" this.

I have a recruiter contact in Toronto now helping me with my resume style and the careers fair next week should prove useful. I think its a fair point to make that a country trying to attract foreign skilled workers should engage to tell them how to make themselves employable - this is happening slowly - not least its in the interest of Canadians to fill vacancies.
A thought - You seem quite ready to tell Canadians how they should be doing things in their country or their business. Whether you mean it or not, that could be presenting you in a less than marketable light. I would suggest you network. Gather all the names of large banks and oil companies in Calgary and find the HR contacts on LinkedIn. Buy people coffee, tell them your experience etc etc. It's worked for a lot of people here. This place is easy to find a job if you have the right attitude and you are creative in how you apply for jobs.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

This is all good advice, and if I say so, obvious. I have and am doing all of these things. My wife approached a hospital earlier this week and was treated successively rudely by 4 separate people. There is no shortage of glib advice on the subject and the short conclusion is - its not easy at all. If we "turn it around" for a minute - Calgary/Alberta is and will experience a skills shortage - they really need to engage immigrants who do have the right skills and show them how to approach the right employers.

I went to a banking jobs fair yesterday and there was a lot of positive language etc - I am suspending judgement on its effectiveness pending the results from my follow-ups.

The main difficulty is that most folks simply don't want to talk and "meet up" and can be very dismissive. We are as friendly and effusive as any immigrants knowing that its incumbent upon them to make the effort - please don't assume we have an attitude problem.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

This is all good advice, and if I say so, obvious. I have and am doing all of these things. My wife approached a hospital earlier this week and was treated successively rudely by 4 separate people. There is no shortage of glib advice on the subject and the short conclusion is - its not easy at all. If we "turn it around" for a minute - Calgary/Alberta is and will experience a skills shortage - they really need to engage immigrants who do have the right skills and show them how to approach the right employers.

I went to a banking jobs fair yesterday and there was a lot of positive language etc - I am suspending judgement on its effectiveness pending the results from my follow-ups.

The main difficulty is that most folks simply don't want to talk and "meet up" and can be very dismissive. We are as friendly and effusive as any immigrants knowing that its incumbent upon them to make the effort - please don't assume we have an attitude problem.
"Obvious advice" "no shortage of glib advice" "they really need to engage immigrants"

Have you actually stopped, stepped back and realised how you sound? No less than 3 people on here have tried to be diplomatic and tried to get you to think about how you are doing things - well here is the non diplomatic speel:

That person is not going to get hired. Full stop. You need to re-assess how you are acting, what you say to people and how you treat their help. I know many immigrants both British and beyond who have found work within a couple of weeks in Calgary. It is a far easier job market than elsewhere in Canada. And I'm saying this with both my wife and I working for major Oil and Gas Owner companies.

LinkedIn is huge here. I googled HR/recruitment and the company name and linked in the search bar. I then contacted those people and did very well. A lot of people have done the same.

If you haven't got a job in Calgary with the amount of experience you are saying you have, then re-assess your attitude.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 21st 2013 at 6:38 am. Reason: Personal insults removed - pls re-read Rule 1.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:35 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta say I agree with rick. Whether you mean to or not, you do sound arrogant. Lose the tude.

Originally Posted by Rick b
"Obvious advice" "no shortage of glib advice" "they really need tho engage immigrants"

Have you actually stopped, stepped back and realised what an arrogant twat you sound? No less than 3 people on here have tried to be diplomatic and tried to get you to think about how you are doing things - well here is the non diplomatic speel:

You come off as a self serving, need to be on a pedestal, arrogant, full of himself man. That person is not going to get hired. Full stop. You need to re-assess how you are acting, what you say to people and how you treat their help. I know many immigrants both British and beyond who have found work within a couple of weeks in Calgary. It is a far easier job market than elsewhere in Canada. And I'm saying this with both my wife and I working for major Oil and Gas Owner companies.

LinkedIn is huge here. I googled HR/recruitment and the company name and linked in the search bar. I then contacted those people and did very well. A lot of people have done the same.

If you haven't got a job in Calgary with the amount of experience you are saying you have, then re-assess your attitude.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe short term work filling sandbags?

Who knows who'll be grateful?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Maybe short term work filling sandbags?

Who knows who'll be grateful?
Not just filling sandbags lol, but I'm guessing there will be a lot of opportunities for volunteering in Calgary and surrounding areas right now. The people affected by the flooding and evacuations will be grateful, you will get to meet new people and potentially expand your social circle and networks!

Could be a win win situation!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:12 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just landed a job in a bank and it was pretty easy () but then again I'm lovely and not arrogant!

FWIW please listen to those that know.

You can't just storm into Canada and expect people to fall at your feet. It really is a case of who you know

Yes my banking experience helped, but also the fact that I lived locally, banked with the bank, and could make small talk about local issues to the manager during the interview (aside from obviously proving I can actually do the job).

Who you know, and how you know them is so big it's not even funny. Get yourselves out in social circles - I'll bet theres a man that knows a man that'll put you on the right path!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.