Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

finding a rental home help

finding a rental home help

Old Jul 26th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default finding a rental home help

right i know i have asked this before, but we are finding it very hard to find anywhere, i have looked at all the sites that are listed on the wiki, but nothing has came up.
what i would like to know is how some of you done it, we have family and some friends to look at property if required, but is it us we just can seem to find sod all :curse:
we are prepared to go into a hotel for a few days when we do land, but would love to find a home before i start my job, im sorry we are going on about this, but just need to know what some of you guys have done when you landed.

advice would be great
thank you all
Old Jul 26th 2008, 3:54 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: finding a rental home help

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
right i know i have asked this before, but we are finding it very hard to find anywhere, i have looked at all the sites that are listed on the wiki, but nothing has came up.
what i would like to know is how some of you done it, we have family and some friends to look at property if required, but is it us we just can seem to find sod all :curse:
we are prepared to go into a hotel for a few days when we do land, but would love to find a home before i start my job, im sorry we are going on about this, but just need to know what some of you guys have done when you landed.

advice would be great
thank you all
I can't remembeer whether I suggested this before to you but try www.vhbo.com
which is vacation home by owner where you rent a basement suite or cottage etc. We did this before we came over and booked a lovely suite for 6 weeks until we found something more permanent. If you want North Van I can recommend the one we chose.
pm me if you want more details on that
Terese
Old Jul 26th 2008, 4:36 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

We decided on a motel for a month (the rate was cheaper). It wan not much fun, but gave us the chance to scour the local paper (where most rentals come up) and go look at the places for rent and the neighbourhoods. Where we ended up was a full house in an upper end part of town (in more ways than one as we were 900' up a mountainside) for the price of a basement suite. The owner wanted a tenant who would look after the place and adjusted the price so we would take it. Would not have got this over the phone or Internet.

This might help if you are coming to BC

http://placead.bcclassified.com/inde...ugtdvg7&sfid=1
Old Jul 26th 2008, 5:12 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

advice would be great
thank you all
C/D we have been here before, haven't we..

Kings County I imagine is going to be an area very much by word of mouth. not like Halifax or HRM area,where things can be sorted via the interweb from 3 thousand miles away.

Most long term rentings will be determined by who bumped into who down the local shop.

See if you can find a holiday rental that is willing to negotiate a good deal for a month or two,bearing in mind it will be out of season.
This will give you a chance to get out there and get your face known, thus allowing you greater opportunities to find said accommodation

Hope this helps

Flogs

P.S may help others to be able to help you if you update your profile to say NS
Old Jul 26th 2008, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We've used the rentfaster.ca website.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

I don't know where you're going in Kings County but you could try to get a deal with the owners of the BeachBreeze motel at Grand Pre as they have a couple of housekeeping units, with heating for 4 people. May be better than a hotel and would give you a bit of time to find a rental.

Good luck
lynda
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

Hi Flogger

yes weve been here before

sorry but just seems silly not locateing somewhere, will try some of the above ideas.

ps

is our profile better now Boss
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:06 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Flogger

yes weve been here before

sorry but just seems silly not locateing somewhere, will try some of the above ideas.

ps

is our profile better now Boss

9.5/10

Hope you are able to get something sorted out short term, as long as you get there and have somewhere then that's the main thing, then you can get something more permanant.

don't sweat
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dont sweat its hard not too in this weather
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

just had a thought ( go steady i hear you all think )

are there nice caaravan parks in nova scotia where we could hire a posh static caravan, not sure if you guys call them that in canada
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:01 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

just had a thought ( go steady i hear you all think )

are there nice caaravan parks in nova scotia where we could hire a posh static caravan, not sure if you guys call them that in canada
depends how posh, could get cold