Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi from Paris, France

Hi from Paris, France

Old Jul 25th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Hi from Paris, France

Hi everyone,

new here, even though I have been reading the wiki as much as I can.

I am a German living in Paris, France, who wants to move to Vancouver next year.

Immigration status:
PR application with AOR in Dec06, papers handed in in April 2008, in Paris.

Jobwise:
I work in strategic marketing and will look for a position in marketing or business development in telecoms or high-tech.

Family:
I have a four-year-old son, so will want to live in an area with good schools.

Finances:
Also, I don't have a lot of money, so won't be able to survive for much longer than 10 months without a job.

Currently thinking about:
-the best way to go about this thing.

Current plan is: network now (but I really don't know how to get started), get PR sometime before year end 2008 (wild assumption on my part),
plan move beg 08,
April 08: move with container to rental, J to start school, and I to seriously jobhunt there and hopefully have a similar if slightly lower-level position as now within 6 months.

Alternatively, I am thinking about:
network, jobhunt from a distance,
April09: two-week "landing PR" vacation with my son to get rid of the time stamp on our visas, put him in daycare, go to job interviews, meet as many people as possible, and networking interviews, have PR card send to a friend's address in Vancouver,
go bak to job/school/life in Paris,
Sep09: a 1 week job interview trip alone
and move definitely in beg of 2010.

As I have never worked or lived in Canada (the closest is 1 year spent in a US high school when I was 15, yeah I know, that's not Canada, and it's not work...), I fear finding a job will be hard for me.

Anyways, I appreciate the wealth of information available here, and hope to be able to exchange with more precise questions (and maybe also contribute).

Ikatita
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:14 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all
Default Re: Hi from Paris, France

Hi and welcome Ikatita...don't forget to use the search on the forum to find old posts with great bits of Info...
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi from Paris, France

Hi Ikatita !
Welcome to the expats forum !
I'm sure you will find the answers to your questions here.
There are a lot of friendly people with some very good advice and information from their experiences.
I'm not moving to Vancouver so can't help you on that one !