Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

finding a job or applying to emigrate - which comes first???

finding a job or applying to emigrate - which comes first???

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Bren Axon is an unknown quantity at this point
Question finding a job or applying to emigrate - which comes first???

Hi, I am new to the forum. Hubby and I are only tentatively thinking of moving to Canada. We are travelling out to BC for three weeks at the end of May to have a look round.
Looking on the immigration website, I see that if you have a job lined up already, then this adds to your points. We certainly would not contemplate moving out there without my husband already having a job lined up.
However, if the application process takes a long time, then how can you have a job lined up already,therefore to addto your points. I am not quite sure how this works. Do you apply first without a job, which will lessen your points and then look for a job when you have been accepted??? Hubby is in the medical profession and I am a legal sec and a JP in the UK. I know that medical professionals are sought after in Canada and also (whooppee!) JPs actually get PAID in Canada! I think that our jobs will be an advantage to us but maybe not??? Anyone got any suggestions - I would be grateful!
Bren
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a job before coming out is quite difficult unless your occupation is in high demand and there are no qualified Canadians to do that job. Most of the poeple I have met have come out without jobs lined up - but they know the local market conditions and are pretty sure they would be able to find work sooner or later. When you visit BC look around for jobs - go to specific placement agencies and ask them about jobs in your field.

Best of luck

Ray
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:13 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finding a job or applying to emigrate - which comes first???

Originally posted by Bren Axon
Hi, I am new to the forum. Hubby and I are only tentatively thinking of moving to Canada. We are travelling out to BC for three weeks at the end of May to have a look round.
Looking on the immigration website, I see that if you have a job lined up already, then this adds to your points. We certainly would not contemplate moving out there without my husband already having a job lined up.
However, if the application process takes a long time, then how can you have a job lined up already,therefore to addto your points. I am not quite sure how this works. Do you apply first without a job, which will lessen your points and then look for a job when you have been accepted??? Hubby is in the medical profession and I am a legal sec and a JP in the UK. I know that medical professionals are sought after in Canada and also (whooppee!) JPs actually get PAID in Canada! I think that our jobs will be an advantage to us but maybe not??? Anyone got any suggestions - I would be grateful!
Bren
There is definately a lack of medical types in rural canada, I know my municipality is actively recruiting Doctors, but the problem is that they are looking for CANADIAN BOARD CERTIFICATION. In your case I doubt if he could get the certification to get a job in canada before actually coming to canada, its a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Make sure you know what is necessary in order for your Hubby to work in his profession in Canada before making too many plans, the professional bodies here seem to make it very hard for people from outside the canadian system, and often there is a requirement for canadian work experience, which may require him doing some low level internship type work for a year or two, which could be a financial shock. This is generally true of all regulated professions in Canada (including the legal field). I have seen a few posts here asking how to go about getting canadian recognition of medical qualifications, but i have yet to see a definative answer, so if you do find out about transfering medical qualifications to canada, let us know.

Generally it seems to me that those who make the transition the best are those who come here for lifestyle reasons, rather than as a form of career enhancement. It is very difficult to start off in canada at the same level you were at in the UK.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it pays to do a lot of research and homework before sinking a lot of time and money into emmigrating.

Good Luck

Iain
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:59 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: finding a job or applying to emigrate - which comes first???

Originally posted by Bren Axon
Bren

Hi Bren,
Just a thought - but have you looked into the Provincial Nominee Program? (PNP)
This link is for BC http://www.mcaws.gov.bc.ca/amip/pnp/faq/ but I know the other provinces have PNP programs. it can help get the job first (although it might be you getting the job first not hubby!!