Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Old Feb 10th 2017, 11:40 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Ah yes, I remember that "initiative" .

Even today, it's probably one of the few sectors left here where a) French is not a requirement, b) it's possible to get a job with no French. What does seem to be frequently required these days in that field is fluency in another language (in addition to French/English/both).
The mining industry is the same. English is a must. All the QC-based mining companies I deal with essentially operate in English.

I remember being in the bar at Montreal station a few years back and the girl running it confessed that she didn't speak French at all.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 11:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The mining industry is the same. English is a must. All the QC-based mining companies I deal with essentially operate in English.

I remember being in the bar at Montreal station a few years back and the girl running it confessed that she didn't speak French at all.
During my time living in Canada I went to Montreal a couple of times, once for a long weekend with my OH and another time for work.

On the long weekend we stayed in B&B downtown that was ran by an Indian family and I remember overhearing the owner pleading with one of his suppliers to use English over the phone because he couldn't understand French.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd forgotten but the first time my daughter was at university in Montreal she took a boyfriend with her. She moved on leaving him behind. He spoke no French but was working on Rue Crescent (in a pub not under a lamppost). I think people can thrive in the bar trade anywhere without much of the language so long as they look good and smile a lot.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 11:59 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
During my time living in Canada I went to Montreal a couple of times, once for a long weekend with my OH and another time for work.

On the long weekend we stayed in B&B downtown that was ran by an Indian family and I remember overhearing the owner pleading with one of his suppliers to use English over the phone because he couldn't understand French.
People tend to suddenly become proficient in English when money is involved.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Montreal is a fine city . However...Large numbers of immigrants (& potential immigrants) *there* see it as a stepping stone/stop on the way to (mainly) Toronto or Vancouver.
That is a surprise.

Each to their own but Montreal seems so much nicer and I really miss the Gazette.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and again that's how it could potentially work in my favour because I barely know a word of French but my Japanese is reasonably decent.

To be fair, that initiative worked massively in Canada's favour as well. Within the space of a couple of years, Canada went from being virtually a non-existent source in the games industry to being the world's fourth largest producer of them, after the US, Japan and the UK. At this point it is pretty much Ubisoft's main base of operations even though officially they are still HQ'd in France.
I was thinking of Ubisoft when I read your post & replied .

Not surprised.

That does surprise me a bit (for Montreal). IME it's pretty standard that Montreal companies use English/understand English speaking clients.

People tend to suddenly become proficient in English when money is involved.
Or throw the call to the "token" English-speaker(s) on staff when necessary . I'd say it's quite rare in MTL to have trouble doing business in English.

I've pretty much made a career/got most of the jobs or contracts I have had in Qc BECAUSE of my English.

Apologies to the OP for contributing to and prolonging this massive thread swerve .
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:44 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That is a surprise.

Each to their own but Montreal seems so much nicer and I really miss the Gazette.
You can read it online, you know............
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You can read it online, you know............
Yeah, I look occasionally. But I like a 'real' newspaper to read
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:58 pm
Slob

Yeah, I look occasionally. But I like a 'real' newspaper to read
Fair enough.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

That is a surprise.

I think Europeans often tend to prefer Montreal because there is something more homely and familiar about the place whereas people from India/Asia may prefer Toronto and Vancouver because they look and feel more like American cities.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 10th 2017 at 3:22 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I think Europeans often tend to prefer Montreal because there is something more homely and familiar about the place whereas people in India/Asia may prefer Toronto and Vancouver because they look and feel more like American cities.
That's actually a reasonable point - I definitely thought Montreal & Quebec felt like much more European cities, while pretty much anywhere in the west has a vibe of just not being well lived-in, because they're so new
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
That's actually a reasonable point - I definitely thought Montreal & Quebec felt like much more European cities, while pretty much anywhere in the west has a vibe of just not being well lived-in, because they're so new
I think parts of Atlantic Canada may also look a bit more familiar since they were largely rooted in British settlement. I've never been to Vancouver personally but Toronto just looked like a smaller, cleaner and slightly less dazzling version of New York.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I think Europeans often tend to prefer Montreal because there is something more homely and familiar about the place whereas people from India/Asia may prefer Toronto and Vancouver because they look and feel more like American cities.
Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
They (as well as pretty much everywhere else in Qc) felt pretty darn foreign & unfamiliar to me when I arrived! & that despite having previously visited, & thinking I knew about being an expat. Moving to Canada (Quebec) was one of the hardest transitions I made.

I think (it's been a LONG time, & I've had a lot of time to reflect on it) that I fell into the "we speak the same language", "have a long history of immigration/colonisation/similar culture", "how different can it be" trap.

Which swings right back around to the OP .
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto just looked like a smaller, cleaner and slightly less dazzling version of New York.
That's how the Toronto council would like it be thought of but, in fact, it looks like Pittsburgh.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and again that's how it could potentially work in my favour because I barely know a word of French but my Japanese is reasonably decent.

To be fair, that initiative worked massively in Canada's favour as well. Within the space of a couple of years, Canada went from being virtually a non-existent source in the games industry to being the world's fourth largest producer of them, after the US, Japan and the UK. At this point it is pretty much Ubisoft's main base of operations even though officially they are still HQ'd in France.
At one point Vancouver was the hotbed of Canada's games industry, but about 6-7 years ago they all seemed to have picked up and left for Montreal. I have a lot of friends in the gaming industry, but few are still here in Vancouver. Saying that, there are a few companies lingering around (Radical, Relic, EA, etc.). But it does seem like Montreal is the place to be these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.