Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:53 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Canadian differences very frustrating - How do I fix this?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Individually, it's easier to open an email, click, log on and receive than it is to sign the cheque and take it to a bank.

But with multiple tenants, if one insists on paying by cheque, so that you have to go to the bank anyway, you might as well have them all by cheque and make the accounting easier.

If all your tenants paid by email that would make the accounting just as easy without the journey (or journeys if they didn't pay at the same time) to the bank.

So maybe it's a rebel tenant to blame.
So you have finally figured out how to balance your cheque book. Great news. Well done.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
As someone who arrived in Jan this year, WHAT A CULTURE SHOCK.

Coming from the UK via Australia, struggling to get over the paperwork and bureaucracy here. Things I took for granted albeit a small shock at the time: free banking, moving to Oz this did not exist unless you put your salary into you account. Canada for some reason or another thinks it acceptable to charge you up to $40/m unless you want to leave $5k in your account to cover this. Still not sure what value they provide since CC are still the stupidly high interest like other countries, and can not see what other standard features they offer aside from the Canadian centric features.

A simple thing like linking a bank account to do transfers, can take up to 7 to 10 business days to work. The reliance on cheques for rentals and the cost the banks charge you to provide a bank reference.

It seems like I stepped into the 19th century for banking here! High costs, and overly complicated.

I chat to colleagues who have been here many years and all agree with me and have given me pointers on how to deal/work it.

Canada is thinking it is a 21st century country but in reality it does not come close. I am in Mississauga outside Toronto. They have a train system which runs in the GTA at a few select points, BUT only runs during rush hour week days. Nothing runs on the weekend or during the day on weekdays, crazy.

The public transport system here is an eye opener coming from other major cities in the world.

Some years back I was assigned to my American employer's Sydney office. I assumed that banking was the same in Oz as in Canada and the U.S. I tried to buy an airline ticket to Auckland with a credit card. A credit card! They were hardly known and treated with suspicion. Then there was the 6 pm chucking out time in the pubs. So 19th century.

I lived in Canada since I was 12-nearly 50 years, and I never encountered any charges for banking services. BACs payments-I first used them in the early '80s. Transfers via Pre-authorized Checks-since the '70s.

Here in England every one and his brother wants to be paid via direct debit. D.D.s are the number one source of complaints to personal money columns in the financial press.

The last two years in Canada I rented a condo, and paid by D.D.-no problem.

The last certified check I got in Canada-2016-cost me $12.00. Try getting one in the U.K.-about £35.00. How about having to pay huge sums of money, non-refundable, to get a mortgage, or the fees charged by grubby rental agencies in the U.K. I never had to pay any of that in Canada.

Back in the 70s an international call from Canada to the U.K. had to be made via the operator so out of date was the UK phone system.

I would agree about the public transport system outside major cities in Canada. Before the Crow Rate was abolished there still existed a passenger rail service-not quite SNCF standard-but fairly reliable. I clearly remember my first ski trip to Banff, from Calgary-by train. Or the day-liner rail cars running around Alberta-sadly all gone now.

It was an eye-opener for me, coming to live in England.

Swings and roundabouts-just different.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
The public transport system here is an eye opener coming from other major cities in the world.
I once overheard my former boss describe the Toronto subway system as possibly the worst in the world and she immigrated to Toronto after growing up in a communist country under Stalin.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
The last certified check I got in Canada-2016-cost me $12.00. Try getting one in the U.K.-about £35.00. How about having to pay huge sums of money, non-refundable, to get a mortgage, or the fees charged by grubby rental agencies in the U.K. I never had to pay any of that in Canada.
To be fair though the letting agencies often make things easier. Yes they are dirty money grabbing sods but they also simplify things by asking you what your budget is and then driving you around to several properties in the area that fit within your budget. Given the choice of that versus Kijiji and public transit, I think I would happily opt for the agencies and pay a couple of a hundred dollars for the convenience tbh.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
To be fair though the letting agencies often make things easier. Yes they are dirty money grabbing sods but they also simplify things by asking you what your budget is and then driving you around to several properties in the area that fit within your budget. Given the choice of that versus Kijiji and public transit, I think I would happily opt for the agencies and pay a couple of a hundred dollars for the convenience tbh.
On a visit before we moved over my other half was driven around York region by a real estate agent to various properties for a day and a half. No charge to us.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
On a visit before we moved over my other half was driven around York region by a real estate agent to various properties for a day and a half. No charge to us.
Do you mean York in Ontario or York as in the one in Yorkshire?

If the latter than that is normal service for letting agents in the UK, even in Greater London. If the former then letting agents as a British person would understand the term are far less common in Canada.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean York in Ontario or York as in the one in Yorkshire?b

If the latter than that is normal service for letting agents in the UK, even in Greater London. If the former then letting agents as a British person would understand the term are far less common in Canada.
York region, Ontario.

I used the term real estate agent as I believed it was common usage, but may be clearer than 'realtor'. Apologies if you read 'real' as 'genuine'. My point was that is possible in Canada for someone to act in the same as a 'letting agent' in the UK, but without harming a fee to the renter. I am sure there are some decent, reputable letting agents in the UK who would do the same.

However thanks for explaining what 'British people' understand.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 4:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
York region, Ontario.

I used the term real estate agent as I believed it was common usage, but may be clearer than 'realtor'. Apologies if you read 'real' as 'genuine'. My point was that is possible in Canada for someone to act in the same as a 'letting agent' in the UK, but without harming a fee to the renter. I am sure there are some decent, reputable letting agents in the UK who would do the same.

However thanks for explaining what 'British people' understand.
OK, there's probably a difference if they are trying to sell you a place but I think it's fair to say that the renting cultures in the UK and Canada are very different from one another.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I once overheard my former boss describe the Toronto subway system as possibly the worst in the world and she immigrated to Toronto after growing up in a communist country under Stalin.
As an occasional visitor to Toronto, I'm not a fan either. However, streetcars (especially) & buses seem to be quite good, imo.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, there's probably a difference if they are trying to sell you a place but I think it's fair to say that the renting cultures in the UK and Canada are very different from one another.
I can't comment, as I haven't rented in the UK since uni days. I have however rented two properties in Canada in the last six years, in the way I have described. This is my last response to you as the 'words of one syllable' thing is wearing me out.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 4:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In the lexicography of the British Expat "different" is a synonym of "not as good as."
Old Feb 8th 2017, 5:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is no charge to the person seeking a rental and using a Realtor to find one, here. They obtain their fee from the landlord.

https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2...w_renters.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 8th 2017 at 5:24 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 5:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There is no charge to the person seeking a rental and using a Realtor to find one, here. They obtain their fee from the landlord.
The letting agencies in the UK charge both parties. They really are that greedy but it's a highly profitable sector and that is why there are so many of them.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Some years back I was assigned to my American employer's Sydney office. I assumed that banking was the same in Oz as in Canada and the U.S. I tried to buy an airline ticket to Auckland with a credit card. A credit card! They were hardly known and treated with suspicion. Then there was the 6 pm chucking out time in the pubs. So 19th century.

I lived in Canada since I was 12-nearly 50 years, and I never encountered any charges for banking services. BACs payments-I first used them in the early '80s. Transfers via Pre-authorized Checks-since the '70s.

Here in England every one and his brother wants to be paid via direct debit. D.D.s are the number one source of complaints to personal money columns in the financial press.

The last two years in Canada I rented a condo, and paid by D.D.-no problem.

Back in the 70s an international call from Canada to the U.K. had to be made via the operator so out of date was the UK phone system.

I would agree about the public transport system outside major cities in Canada. Before the Crow Rate was abolished there still existed a passenger rail service-not quite SNCF standard-but fairly reliable. I clearly remember my first ski trip to Banff, from Calgary-by train. Or the day-liner rail cars running around Alberta-sadly all gone now.

It was an eye-opener for me, coming to live in England.

Agreed, but since I left the UK to AU. I found the banking system and internet banking far superior. Even now since my 2 banks in the UK have updated there internet banking, no where as slick at the AU banks. Then again the AU banks make shocking profits!

I am just getting over the initial shocks, once I have my accounts setup and understand the system better, will cope.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In the lexicography of the British Expat "different" is a synonym of "not as good as."
Nice quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.