Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Final decision

Final decision

Old Feb 4th 2022, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final decision

If you really enjoy the sports and culture in the UK then I don't think it makes sense to leave. I never liked football (or really any sports for that matter) and I've never been a big TV person. The only UK TV show I ever really cared about was Top Gear, and that essentially ended in 2018. Though I do enjoy some UK comedies.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't embraced Canada to the extent of watching Canadian television, hearing Canadian radio, or having Canadian Facebook friends. I know we live here but there's a limit to the extent to which one wants to engage.
I can never tell when you're being serious or not, that must actually take effort rather than lack of engagement to remain so detached, lol.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 6:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't embraced Canada to the extent of watching Canadian television, hearing Canadian radio, or having Canadian Facebook friends. I know we live here but there's a limit to the extent to which one wants to engage.

I didn't think there was any football last weekend, no EPL games anyway, maybe some ACON matches.
What about American TV ?
Old Feb 4th 2022, 7:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I can never tell when you're being serious or not, that must actually take effort rather than lack of engagement to remain so detached, lol.
I haven't done it deliberately. I used to see Canadian sports and some news on TVs in pubs but covid has cut off that source. I only drive on weekends now and there's football on the BBC so I listen to that. I talk to people all day, it's work but of course people chat socially as well. They talk about dogs and cricket and the weather and Trump and their home countries and who is the greatest dancehall act of all time but nothing one would call culturally Canadian. Even when we went as a team to the ice hockey the non-work conversation was about cars and the merits of living in Bristol vs. Switzerland.

I expect if you live in Regina you get more Canadiana.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 7:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What about American TV ?
I don't know enough about it to be able to differentiate. When I last had a TV, in the 1990s, we'd watch Jeopardy with Alex Trebek. I suppose that was both Canadian and American at once.
Old Feb 4th 2022, 10:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know enough about it to be able to differentiate. When I last had a TV, in the 1990s, we'd watch Jeopardy with Alex Trebek. I suppose that was both Canadian and American at once.
Do you not have a TV ? Not even for Netflix ?
Old Feb 5th 2022, 12:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
You know looking back, I wonder if half the problem was that I never really tried to fit in culturally. We just streamed whatever we wanted from the UK, and left “Canadian tv and sports alone”. Even now, we’re all set for the six nations starting tomorrow but whatever football that all my Canadian Facebook friends got excited about this week passed us by completely.
This is a bit like 'working from home' - not only does one not need to live where the work is, one doesn't even need to live where the virtual life/sports is taking place.
On Saturday, back in England, I'd be sitting down to watch the 6N rugby on a cold winter's day on the TV and tomorrow I shall be sitting down to watch the 6N rugby on a cold winter's day on TV. Due to the staggered kick off times these days at least part of a match is on at the same as it was 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
...I've never been a big TV person.
I always gave priority to movies over TV but things have changed. TV is the new movies.
Old Feb 5th 2022, 2:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you not have a TV ? Not even for Netflix ?
No, I guess I last had a TV maybe 20 years ago. More recently than a wired phone or an 8 track but not recently. TV is crap in Canada, it's all adverts.

I guess when the kids were in school it was important not to have one, they needed to study, to beat the Asian kids. Once they grew up, the idea of TV had passed. It's like smoking, if you start as a kid it seems normal. if you step away, it seems weird.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 5th 2022 at 2:19 am.
Old Feb 5th 2022, 9:45 am
Yo

No, I guess I last had a TV maybe 20 years ago. More recently than a wired phone or an 8 track but not recently. TV is crap in Canada, it's all adverts.

I guess when the kids were in school it was important not to have one, they needed to study, to beat the Asian kids. Once they grew up, the idea of TV had passed. It's like smoking, if you start as a kid it seems normal. if you step away, it seems weird.
I've had periods sans TV but lately I'm quite enjoying having one as the picture quality is just so good (and not even an expensive TV). I agree that there's very little in terms of programming on, but there's often good films and plenty of "live" music performances on YouTube. I suppose you can watch such content on your laptop if need be or are you heading full Mennonite.
Old Feb 5th 2022, 12:17 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This is a bit like 'working from home' - not only does one not need to live where the work is, one doesn't even need to live where the virtual life/sports is taking place.
On Saturday, back in England, I'd be sitting down to watch the 6N rugby on a cold winter's day on the TV and tomorrow I shall be sitting down to watch the 6N rugby on a cold winter's day on TV. Due to the staggered kick off times these days at least part of a match is on at the same as it was 20 years ago.

I always gave priority to movies over TV but things have changed. TV is the new movies.
See in Wales, the rugby was such a big event, we would either be at a game or out in the pub watching it with friends. When it was the Wales v England game (wife v husband) my parents would have the kids overnight.

Today the Wales v Ireland game is on at 9.30am and I’m going to ignore all social media until such time as hockey/chores are done and I can settle down to watch it, which will clash apparently with the English game that is on live at a respectable time🙄..

The kids love it though, other sports leave me cold (well Swimming has grown on me) but rugby has heart or hwyl I think.
Old Feb 6th 2022, 12:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
See in Wales, the rugby was such a big event, we would either be at a game or out in the pub watching it with friends. When it was the Wales v England game (wife v husband) my parents would have the kids overnight.

Today the Wales v Ireland game is on at 9.30am and I’m going to ignore all social media until such time as hockey/chores are done and I can settle down to watch it, which will clash apparently with the English game that is on live at a respectable time🙄..

The kids love it though, other sports leave me cold (well Swimming has grown on me) but rugby has heart or hwyl I think.
Not Wales / Ireland but previous Wales / England game
Old Feb 7th 2022, 11:12 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Try watching Quebec TV. The adverts are the best bits.
Old Oct 16th 2022, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Docterror is an unknown quantity at this point

Tirytory What did you finally end up doing? Did you go back to UK?
Old Oct 18th 2022, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The UK you left is a world away from the UK now, The UK now is a world away from the UK 10 years ago or even 5 years ago.
I personally do not agree with this comment, I have visited and lived in places I have been away from for long periods of time and never really noticed much difference, maybe more traffic more building (most countries) but really nothing that I noticed really had changed and if it something had changed than after a while I did not really notice, we also use to visit the uk for long periods and yes at first we were the centre of attention so to speak but in the back of everyone’s minds we were not there to stay so you could not really blame everyone for getting on with their own lives.