Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

filing taxes - T4

filing taxes - T4

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute
Default filing taxes - T4

Hi folks,

Do I need to wait for a T4 slip before filing? Do I also need any statements from Banks? I understand filing deadline is end of April, but my employer has not sent a T4 so should I chase them up?

I'm in Vancouver, does anyone know a good accountant with expat experience?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:07 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: filing taxes - T4

Yes, you will need the T4. If, for example, you use something like TurboTax, it's going to ask you to enter the number in box X, and without the T4, you won't know what value to enter.

My employer only sent out my T4 last week, so it could be coming this week. I'd say wait until 1st March, and if nothing, then chase them up.

I've never been asked for bank statements. The only other paperwork I usually dig out are for transit, as they have an online statement showing what you paid for transit, and you can input that and I think you can claim some of it back.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need bank account interest slips, if you got any (T5, I think?).
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Employers have until the end of Feb as far as I know to send out the T4's. All my employers wait until the last possible moment to send them out.

It would be nice if the government made them send them out before the end of January so people can file and have more time.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It would be nice if the government made them send them out before the end of January so people can file and have more time.
The work involved in preparing T4's can be quite phenomenal. Closing out the year end in January still makes it a rush to get T4's out by the end of February.

If only one could just push a button, and all employees had simple records with no weird exceptions.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 11:38 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

So if someone has 3 T4s and transit receipts, is it an easy process or would it be better to get an accountant to do it?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 12:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
The work involved in preparing T4's can be quite phenomenal. Closing out the year end in January still makes it a rush to get T4's out by the end of February.

If only one could just push a button, and all employees had simple records with no weird exceptions.
Can't be any harder then W2's down south, which are typically due Jan 31st although this year that was a Saturday so companies had until Feb 2nd.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
So if someone has 3 T4s and transit receipts, is it an easy process or would it be better to get an accountant to do it?
It's easy, all the boxes are numbered, the software asks for box numbers if there is a number in the box put it into the software where it asks for that box number, if its empty its not relevant to you.

Check the CRA website for companies who provide software, if your income is under X amount there are free software options where you don't have to pay.

Here is a list of free or partially free services one can use.

Certified software for the 2015 NETFILE program

I use Tax Chopper which is free for certain groups of folks, single and make under 25k, new to Canada and under X amount, and so on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 23rd 2015 at 12:24 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 12:48 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy, all the boxes are numbered, the software asks for box numbers if there is a number in the box put it into the software where it asks for that box number, if its empty its not relevant to you.

Check the CRA website for companies who provide software, if your income is under X amount there are free software options where you don't have to pay.

Here is a list of free or partially free services one can use.

Certified software for the 2015 NETFILE program

I use Tax Chopper which is free for certain groups of folks, single and make under 25k, new to Canada and under X amount, and so on.
So basically I just add all the individual boxes from each one on the T4s and input in?

As I am new to the country I might give tax chopper ago. How long does it take to get a refund (if entitled to it) from when you submit?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 12:56 am
Account Closed

So basically I just add all the individual boxes from each one on the T4s and input in?

As I am new to the country I might give tax chopper ago. How long does it take to get a refund (if entitled to it) from when you submit?
Unless things changed, CRA process the first return very slowly, my first refund took like 2 months back that was a decade ago. Now I get my refund within 10 days generally.

You will put in each t4 on it's own, so if you have 3 you will do it 3 times. Once in the software you will see how easy it is, in taxchopper on the t4 section there is a button that says add T4, click it, fill it in from the first one, save it, and repeat 2 more times.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No, you input the boxes from each T4 separately after telling the software how many t-4's you've got. These computer things are rather good at adding up.

As it's your first return, don't screw up by omitting to input on the very first page the exact date last year that you became tax resident.

As a cross thread reference that's exactly the sort of cock up that H&R block would do.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:06 am
Bex in the city

Unless things changed, CRA process the first return very slowly, my first refund took like 2 months back that was a decade ago. Now I get my refund within 10 days generally.

You will put in each t4 on it's own, so if you have 3 you will do it 3 times. Once in the software you will see how easy it is, in taxchopper on the t4 section there is a button that says add T4, click it, fill it in from the first one, save it, and repeat 2 more times.

Looks like I am unable to submit online via netfile as I'm classed as a non resident with a temp sin number (starting with a 9).

I'll have to do a paper return instead but it looks like I can do one on there
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I am unable to submit online via netfile as I'm classed as a non resident with a temp sin number (starting with a 9).

I'll have to do a paper return instead but it looks like I can do one on there
Hmm. That certainly used to be the case but I have the impression that that changed a year or two ago.

If I were you, I'd ask JonBoyE.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:47 am
Bex in the city

Ivecreated a profile on tax chopper and looking through it now.

I'm confused about the worldwide income section. Do they want what I earnt in the UK before I arrived as the tax years are different and only have information to hand from April to December 2014. I dont have any properties in the UK and I am not earning any money since I arrived...
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:55 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

@beckiwoo, they only want to know about worldwide income since you become a tax resident of Canada. Income prior to become tax resident does not count. Determining residency for tax purposes is based on:

Significant residential ties to Canada include:
-a home in Canada;
-a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and
-dependants in Canada;

Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include:
-personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture;
-social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations;
-economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards;
-a Canadian driver's licence;
-a Canadian passport; and
-health insurance with a Canadian province or territory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.