Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Filing tax return in UK

Filing tax return in UK

Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

sgbolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filing tax return in UK

If you earn less than 10k from income in the UK, do you still need to file taxes there? Between my husband and I were earned around 13k (but split between us, so 6.5k each). Getting conflicting info online. thanks
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing tax return in UK

Originally Posted by sgbolt
If you earn less than 10k from income in the UK, do you still need to file taxes there? Between my husband and I were earned around 13k (but split between us, so 6.5k each). Getting conflicting info online. thanks
Perhaps start with this:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/tax-return.htm
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You need to file taxes where you are tax resident. If this is in Canada and the only income you have is 13k you don't need to file, however you would miss out on some befits.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot, im driving people mad. So ive read it and read it and im still confused. It says I dont need to file in uk if I earned less than the allowance. So my husband and I earned less than 20k between us from rental property so less than the 10k personal each.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Benefits...tell me more. That's why I want to understand the full picture
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Benefits...tell me more. That's why I want to understand the full picture
Are the HMRC and CRA websites not working?
If you need personal consultancy, you really need to engage the services of a tax professional. Sounds like you need one for the U.K. and one for Canada.

Presumably you are registered with HMRC as a Non-Resident landlord? If so, have they sent you a tax return?

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 28th 2014 at 11:55 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot, im driving people mad. So ive read it and read it and im still confused. It says I dont need to file in uk if I earned less than the allowance. So my husband and I earned less than 20k between us from rental property so less than the 10k personal each.
If HMRC sends you a tax return, you must complete it.

If they don't send you a tax return, you must complete one if your rent received is greater than your personal allowance. I read this to mean if the money paid to you is greater than the personal allowance, regardless of how much you have paid out in mortgage payments, management fees etc.

I have been sent and have filled out a tax return for the last three years, declaring around 8000 GBP in income and paying no UK tax due to mortgage payments, etc. They sent me another this year, so they seem determined to waste their time and mine once again, but once you have done it once or twice it is fairly straightforward.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

i haven't been sent a tax return in the UK but they may have sent it to my house in which I don't live anymore.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smivers
I have been sent and have filled out a tax return for the last three years, declaring around 8000 GBP in income and paying no UK tax due to mortgage payments, etc.
Mortgage payments are not a deductible expense, only the interest is deductible.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

yep i did all the calculations for my accountant last year re what i could offset against the income from the rental. Trouble is i'm trying to do it myself on turbotax this year to save some money (I lost my job) but i have to admit defeat now - i'm am soooo confused.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

i haven't been sent a tax return in the UK but they may have sent it to my house in which I don't live anymore.
HMRC need to have your up to date address as long as you have ongoing business in the United Kingdom.

Have you completed a Non-Resident Landlord registration form?
Have you previously completed a U.K. tax return?

yep i did all the calculations for my accountant last year re what i could offset against the income from the rental. Trouble is i'm trying to do it myself on turbotax this year to save some money (I lost my job) but i have to admit defeat now - i'm am soooo confused.
Based on everything discussed so far, you would likely be best advised to continue using the services of your accountant. Although it is very late in the Canadian tax season to come to this conclusion. Note, however, that even if you use an accountant your tax return is still your responsibility. You need to understand all the calculations an accountant does, and ensure you have given the accountant everything that he or she needs to know, before the return is filed.
Old May 1st 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

fitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud of

Hi

I believe you do - We still have our UK house and the renatal income gets declared on both a UK and CRA Tax return. The income is less than our UK Tax allowance and there is also a double taxation agreement between UK & Canada. I use Taxcalc software each year to file a retun to the UK & an accountant here. We pay tax to the CRA on that income.

The UK Tax office sends a return form to us in Canada each year

Hope that helps

Roj