Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax accountant with UK rental income experience

Tax accountant with UK rental income experience

Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

sgbolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax accountant with UK rental income experience

Hi there I'm in GTA (near Richmond Hill) looking for some tax help on filing my UK rental income here. I will pay someone but i want to get it right. Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax accountant with UK rental income experience

Originally Posted by sgbolt
Hi there I'm in GTA (near Richmond Hill) looking for some tax help on filing my UK rental income here. I will pay someone but i want to get it right. Thanks
UK experience is totally unnecessary. You are reporting foreign income, the source is immaterial, it is basic stuff, you could do it on turbo tax yourself.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Really? I'm so confused by what i can offset and what I can't. I do some bits (interest from mortgage, maintenance, repairs etc...) but i'm scared I'll get it wrong and be on CRA's radar!!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I *think* you need to start at the UK end of the equation.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/nr-landlords.htm

(I'm in the learning process on this subject at the moment)

In my experience, tax accountants in Canada vary widely in terms of experience, knowledge & competency, regarding even purely Canadian tax issues. I tend to rely on direct contact with CRA, & provincial revenue office when I have questions.

Disclaimer: I had a horrendous experience with a tax accountant I employed here when I first arrived, thinking that he would help me get it all done right. It took several years, & an audit, to sort out the mess; I ended up with a rather large refund. I still shudder at the thought it could have been the opposite

S
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again. So you're saying let the UK know about the property first and take it from there?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

so i just read more an googled it, it says you only need to file tax if your income is higher than your personal allowance (UK). So between my husband and i we only earned around 9k pounds (so 4.5k each) which is below the allowance of 10k. Does that make sense?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:54 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I would call HMRC directly if it was me. In fact I did - many times in the first year or so. Their website will explain the basics, then you can go to them with specific questions that relate to your own sset of circumstances. I would think it very unlikely any of us on here can give you advice you can hang your hat on without the whole scenario and all the information. Even then you'd never know if it was accurate. I would just go to the people who make, interpret and enforce the rules.

Good luck though!
Old May 1st 2014, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

fitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud of

Quote "so i just read more an googled it, it says you only need to file tax if your income is higher than your personal allowance (UK). So between my husband and i we only earned around 9k pounds (so 4.5k each) which is below the allowance of 10k. Does that make sense?"

We are in this position but have to declare it in UK - the UK tax office was really helpful.

Roj