Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

...a few questions...

...a few questions...

Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Kingston5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ...a few questions...

Hello everyone... I am new to this site and am looking for some help in answering a few questions. I hope this is posted in the right place. My husband and I moved to Canada from Scotland 3 years ago (I am Canadian and my husband is Scottish) and he is in the process now of applying for his Canadian Citizenship. My questions though are this... we had a baby last year and would like to get him registered with the British Consulate and apply for his British passport. But I seem to be at a loss as how to go about this. I have printed off a form 'C2' from this website http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/
and was wondering if I have the right form? Also by applying for a british passport does that also mean he would be registered with the British Consulate? or is that something that I need to do seperately?

Also on a totally different subject has anyone found any insurance company in Canada that recognizes driving history from Britian??? When we arrived here we had to get a car and to insure it was insane!! My husband has been driving for over 20 years in Scotland but was looked upon as a new driver here... Is that just the way it is?? If anyone has any info on how to save on car insurance I will be forever grateful!

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive and if this is posted in the wrong place can someone guide me to the correct place?

Thanks
Kingston5
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ...a few questions...

Welcome to British Expats

The short answer regarding registration of a birth in Canada is that you cant. There is no need, and no process to do it. The child is British and can apply for a british passport, either now, or in the future (costs too much for me to get them for my kids until there is a point in doing it), but regardless of having a passport the child is british by decent anyway, so you need do nothing right now.

Regarding insurance, yes there are some, If you search the old threads there are a few recomendations. For me I just called a bunch of local brokers and let them do the donkey work. (I ended up with Pilot) You will likely need specific documentation of your driving record from your UK insurer though to get the credit.

This is probably the right place for the birth registration question, but the insurance question is best in the general Canada area... it helps if you stick to one question per thread. There are some handy hints in the "Read Me" file for new posters in the sticky post at the top of the Canada area.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingston5
Hello everyone... I am new to this site and am looking for some help in answering a few questions. I hope this is posted in the right place. My husband and I moved to Canada from Scotland 3 years ago (I am Canadian and my husband is Scottish) and he is in the process now of applying for his Canadian Citizenship. My questions though are this... we had a baby last year and would like to get him registered with the British Consulate and apply for his British passport. But I seem to be at a loss as how to go about this. I have printed off a form 'C2' from this website http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/
and was wondering if I have the right form? Also by applying for a british passport does that also mean he would be registered with the British Consulate? or is that something that I need to do seperately?

Thanks
Kingston5

All you need to do is apply for the british passport. In Canada you don't need to, or don't have the option (not sure which) to register the birth at the consulate. Both my kids were born in Canada and they got their British Passports with no problem.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the quick responses! I will call my current insurance guy and see what he can do for me

I was so anxious to ask questions that I did that first and then have been reading through some of the info pages. What a great site! Thanks for the welcome and again for the quick responses.

Good to know that my boy is British by descent... I wondered if he would be but not ever having children before that was another first for me

Anyway cheers again!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the quick responses! I will call my current insurance guy and see what he can do for me

I was so anxious to ask questions that I did that first and then have been reading through some of the info pages. What a great site! Thanks for the welcome and again for the quick responses.

Good to know that my boy is British by descent... I wondered if he would be but not ever having children before that was another first for me

Anyway cheers again!
Are you in Kingston On (going by your user name...)? If you are you could try calling McDougal insurance in Belleville if you have no luck closer to home.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

I am in Kingston On and will give McDougal a call to see what they say (sounds like a good Scottish name!).

Thanks again!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know that my boy is British by descent...
Don't assume anything ... for example, if your husband was not born in Britain, your child may not be British.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JAJ
Don't assume anything ... for example, if your husband was not born in Britain, your child may not be British.
JAJ, she says "My husband is Scottish"... no one becomes Scottish through residency, you are pretty much guaranteed to have been born there if you describe yourself that way...
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same question about my daughter and emailled the relavent govt dept. who confirmed that all you have to do is to apply for a passport. I think I'll wait until she's a bit older but we will ensure she gets, and retains a British passport moving forward.