Reload this Page >

Feelings oin the Web

Feelings oin the Web

Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

gtrvox1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Feelings oin the Web

Originally Posted by dbd
I am personally offended by Christmas, the festival of consumerism, but civic Canada is not. I suppose the article dates from the time when that twat Layton wanted to ban Christmas trees from Nathan Phillips Square, that fad passed, along with Toronto being a nuclear weapon free zone. Now you can celebrate most any cultural festival in the square.

I don't know that "main stream Christian events" is fair, btw. I very much doubt that a majority of Canadians consider themselves to be Christians.
Funny, I'm not a Christian but do enjoy Christmas. The "consumerism" that so many people complain about doesn't bother me one bit.

As for the majority of Canadians, my 1998 New York Times Almanac states: "45% Roman Catholic, 12% United Church, 8% Anglican" - that's a 65% majority. Could be off by a few points, of course, it's 7 years old

GTR
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gtrvox1
Funny, I'm not a Christian but do enjoy Christmas. The "consumerism" that so many people complain about doesn't bother me one bit.

As for the majority of Canadians, my 1998 New York Times Almanac states: "45% Roman Catholic, 12% United Church, 8% Anglican" - that's a 65% majority. Could be off by a few points, of course, it's 7 years old

GTR
Went into Tesco on the weekend and they already have the Christmas merchandise on display, that's just sick, we haven't even got rid of Halloween or Guy Falk's night yet. CONsumerism gone pot.

Dozzzzy
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Went into Tesco on the weekend and they already have the Christmas merchandise on display, that's just sick, we haven't even got rid of Halloween or Guy Falk's night yet. CONsumerism gone pot.

Dozzzzy
No worse that our local UK gardsen center that had the Christmas decorations on sale over the August bank holiday weekend.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:40 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Souvenir
So, the Spurs fans have adopted as their own a racist taunt that used to be directed at the club? Odd bunch.
Odder still when you think that I stood there shouting it wiv me mate, Amrit, and neither of us was ever binnies. This would have been in the late seventies. I started going to the games much before that but don't remember what was sung or chanted then except the standards "I'm forever throwing bottles", "You're gonna meet wiv a nasty accident" and a version of "My Ol' Man" which was wholely without redeeming artistic merit.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:21 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd
Odder still when you think that I stood there shouting it wiv me mate, Amrit, and neither of us was ever binnies. This would have been in the late seventies. I started going to the games much before that but don't remember what was sung or chanted then except the standards "I'm forever throwing bottles", "You're gonna meet wiv a nasty accident" and a version of "My Ol' Man" which was wholely without redeeming artistic merit.
Ah, English soccer at its best. A game for the whole faaaaaaaahmly.

My step brat was not looking good when he got home from football practice last night. The policy appears to be: "OK, you're five-eight and 145lbs, so we're going to make you a quarter back. See that really, really big guy over there? We want to you run at him as fast as you can and try to knock him over. We want you to do this lots of times. Perhaps then you'll be a bit less lippy in class".

Poor little sod came home on several buses last night.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:38 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Souvenir
See that really, really big guy over there? We want to you run at him as fast as you can and try to knock him over. We want you to do this lots of times.
We went through all that with the girls in hockey. Lessons on poking people with the butt end, chopping them in the neck with the stick swung horizontally, flat hand to throat, fingers jabbed in the eyes .... there were prizes for putting specific girls from the other team out of coming matches. The problem was always to convince the kids that emulating Domi or Kordic on the ice is a "good thing" while emulating them in the street is a crime. Those early mornings and late evenings at Moss Park made me long for the gentility of a Millwall match.

Roll on the day when liability coverage for American football and hockey is just too expensive for the school boards.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd
We went through all that with the girls in hockey. Lessons on poking people with the butt end, chopping them in the neck with the stick swung horizontally, flat hand to throat, fingers jabbed in the eyes .... there were prizes for putting specific girls from the other team out of coming matches. The problem was always to convince the kids that emulating Domi or Kordic on the ice is a "good thing" while emulating them in the street is a crime. Those early mornings and late evenings at Moss Park made me long for the gentility of a Millwall match.

Roll on the day when liability coverage for American football and hockey is just too expensive for the school boards.
We've been dead lucky on the hockey front. The boy is only interested in sports that take place during the hours of daylight. His interest in becoming a lifeguard seems to have waned a bit since he started lessons that run from 5pm to 10pm every Sunday.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:47 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dozzzzy

Dozzzzy
We used to think like that until we got to Canada. Have a read of the last posting dates for Christmas delivery and you might start to understand why some people want Christmas things in October.

Our first year out here was a shock as we were unable to buy Christmas wrapping paper in time for the last posting dates. Now we make sure we get some in the Jan sales!