Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Feeling really down....

Feeling really down....

Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default Feeling really down....

This year is proving to be very trying all of a sudden. Our successful business has been struck by my poor OH having a bad operation!!! leading to lots of time off, leading to incompentent subcontractors.....leading to us losing money hand over fist, leading to a now poor trading year, leading to a bad valuation on our premises, leading to a lower valuation on our business leading now to not meeting the net asset requirement for our Business Entrepreneur route into Canada, and now the realisation that this is not going to happen for us. Any other route is simply very risky with 4 kids in tow.!!!! I feel terribly sad all of a sudden, and a little bit drunk after downing a bottle of lovely chardonnay lol.... Any kind words would be welcome, indeed all the funny, sarcastic ones also welcome to cheer me up and make me laugh. If Canada is not meant to be then so be it. Anyway I am sorry for the naff post...

PS. If I pull my application out before they start processing, am I right in thinking I will at least get refunded the fees..

Cheers.

MEL
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Feeling really down....

aww cmon, wheres monkey man when I need him.,... lol....
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:20 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear things are not going too well. Don't really know anything about the route you were taking to get here. Do you think is possible that your business will pick up next year and you can set the ball rolling again then instead of now?

Hope things work out for the best for you and, in the meantime, have another drink to cheer yourself up!

Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:21 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
Any other route is simply very risky with 4 kids in tow.
Can the crotch droppings not be left behind/sold/put in storage for a while?

Sorry things aren't running smoothly, what doesn't kill you makes you a burden
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Sorry to hear things are not going too well. Don't really know anything about the route you were taking to get here. Do you think is possible that your business will pick up next year and you can set the ball rolling again then instead of now?

Hope things work out for the best for you and, in the meantime, have another drink to cheer yourself up!

Ha I have just poured another one lol.. I dunno, we are now consolidating to keep afloat. Its amazing that this time last year we were so comfortable and flying as we have done for 20 years!!!! and now we are just keeping our heads above water. Thank you for your kind words... and maybe you are right, perhaps my reaction is a bit of a knee-jerk one. I shall re-assess the situation in a few months.

Mel.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
Can the crotch droppings not be left behind/sold/put in storage for a while?

Sorry things aren't running smoothly, what doesn't kill you makes you a burden
ha ha ha. have often thought of "putting them in storage for a while"!!!!

Or makes you stronger right!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you do some creative accounting? You can 'mark to market' some of your assets. Coffee mug - $5000, PC Mouse $2000 etc - banks and large corps have been doing this for years so it must be ok.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Can't you do some creative accounting? You can 'mark to market' some of your assets. Coffee mug - $5000, PC Mouse $2000 etc - banks and large corps have been doing this for years so it must be ok.
yay, will get my Accountant onto it straight away..... well after the Easter hols...............
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
When I sold my business last year it all seemed very arbitrary what figures were attached to what elements. Some items obviously had depreciation and write down values, but other stuff seemed to be worth whatever we deemed it to be. The land and building values in particular were valued to minimise potential CGT, and our accountant was very helpful in ensuring the deal was structured to our best advantage.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:49 am
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't help with advice or any humour (appeciate it but no use at witticisms (sp?). Just wish you well and good fortune in the future! I find red wine works better for me, forget everything after a couple of glasses!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

as I seem to be a day late.. you either have a headache now..or at least are sobered out?
Is the business route the only way to go? I mean.. that is kinda the expensive route..others might look better now?

cheers ..in case it is still wine
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by manitobain
as I seem to be a day late.. you either have a headache now..or at least are sobered out?
Is the business route the only way to go? I mean.. that is kinda the expensive route..others might look better now?

cheers ..in case it is still wine
aye, sobered up now, lol. thankfully no headache. Unfortunately, we are not on the "list" and do not have enough points anyway!. The Entrepreneur Route is nowhere near as expensive as the Investor Route..

Anyway we shall take stock and see what happens over the next year, after all Entrepreneur Route is an extremely slow one...

cheers.

Mel.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:51 am
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

Have you considered Nova Scotia and the Community Identified Stream.
That is how we have got Permanent Residence. We completed a business plan etc. etc. Obviously our plans have changed now because of the state of the £ but we are not obligated to commit to our original plan.
If you want any more info. pm me.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drivemel2
Have you considered Nova Scotia and the Community Identified Stream.
That is how we have got Permanent Residence. We completed a business plan etc. etc. Obviously our plans have changed now because of the state of the £ but we are not obligated to commit to our original plan.
If you want any more info. pm me.
I was going to suggest that! PNP is what we're hoping to embark on when we go to NS next month (Yippee!!)
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Strawberry, I'm really sorry you are feeling low. I hope business picks up or you are able to take advantage of the other options mentioned, and you are able to realise your dream. In the meantime, just sending you and your OH hugs and good wishes. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.