feeling low!

Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feeling low!

UK type TV was covered just yesterday...sort off, it was disguised as an attack on cdn tv. You will have to take the rough with the smooth in that thread!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587406

If you have high speed internet then there are all sorts of torrents and streams that have been discussed before, but your best bet for happy assymilation to the canadian lifestye is to try and immerse yourself in stuff to do in Canada. UK TV might just feed the homesickness and keep you stuck at home miserable.

Having kids that age (similar to my two) is a great ice breaker, but are there other outside activities you can nurture to get you out and about and meeting people....music, art, hobbies and interest etc? Adult Skating lessons, Evening classes, that sort of thing. People are not going to knock on your door and ask if you want to be your friend, you have to be proactive and work at it a bit. Then other good things come of it, support, job contacts etc etc...a new life to fill the old one you are missing in short.

Life here doesnt stop in the winter...but it can look that way sometimes.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 28th 2009 at 7:34 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

I think m & m is about the nearest thing but costco is a good suggestion it's the same as in England. Why don't you start a new forum living in misssaga with kids looking for friends!! Hopefully you might meet some others in your position. It's early days keep your chin up!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:13 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Oh your poor thing. I imagine that your job gave you structure and recognition and now you don't have that, combined with child care and winter weather, I can see how this would be a difficult time for you. I get a bit depressed in winter if I don't leave the house. Having a young child around must be stressful too. I remember moving to the UK and hating it, but I love living there now. Who'd a thought! Sorry I can't offer practical advice, but some of the others have some great ideas.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
I think m & m is about the nearest thing but costco is a good suggestion it's the same as in England.
I dont think M&M has much in the way of vegetarian choice? Could be wrong though.

Why don't you start a new forum living in misssaga with kids looking for friends!! Hopefully you might meet some others in your position. It's early days keep your chin up!

Hmm, stay in on the computer, or get out there with your kids to a few places where kids and parents go...which is more likely to result in striking up a real lasting friendship I wonder...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:43 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really sorry to hear you feel so blue. About the only thing I can say is it will get better. You have come at an awful time of the year, which doesn't help. Yes the job situation is crap at the moment, but seems bad all over the world. A friend of mine in the UK just got laid off after almost 30 years in a secure job. Have you thought about doing some volunteer stuff? It's a great way to get involved in the community and get to know lots of people, and to network. Also, the only Iceland type store I know of is M&M. Quite honestly I find the food here way cheaper than in the UK but much depends on what you usually buy. Anyway, hang in there for a bit longer and I'm sure it will get better.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:47 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

I've sent you a personal message.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jinn
hey,

I know but seriously today I feel down, just don't want to be here!
I cried, and cried don't know how to get myself up again! need to get myself together.

Talking of work, I used to work for an underwriting agency in central London as a Credit Analyst, my background is mainly Credit and at the moment it seems to be hard to find anything in this field.

Please tell me things will be better....
If you are a credit analyst try these agencies in Toronto

http://www.thorekscott.com/
http://www.collinsrecruit.com/

Keep your chin up!

Last edited by shelley748; Jan 28th 2009 at 7:10 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
<quote snipped as deleted by mod already>

Still being a Karma whore eh?

To the OP - don't read the thread on Toronto vs Calgary.... I said Don't!!

Now you've read it, TO does have a lot to do. It takes energy to do it though. There's some good suggestions above.

Join the local library - you'll find lots of groups and activites advertized there.
Jobs: look up some companies and pay 'em a visit. You might be surprised. There's nothing wrong with a little door knocking.

Be willing to start lower down on the totem pole: you will catch up as your wit, charm and good breeding make themselves evident!

Lok up brit com on youtube and have a laugh. Eric and Ernie a re always good for a chuckle - or Jasper Carrot!

Don't worry - winter will be over eventually!

All this is just a nicer way of saying pull yourself together, but is more likely to generate Karma

Don't take yourself too seriously, or even how you feel too seriously.

Try "This too shall pass!" for a mantra.

Or try this - from Susan Jeffers' book, "Feel the fear and do it anyway."

"I would prefer to have a great job and feel happy about my move to Canada, but I can handle it!"
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Still being a Karma whore eh?

To the OP - don't read the thread on Toronto vs Calgary.... I said Don't!!

Now you've read it, TO does have a lot to do. It takes energy to do it though. There's some good suggestions above.

Join the local library - you'll find lots of groups and activites advertized there.
Jobs: look up some companies and pay 'em a visit. You might be surprised. There's nothing wrong with a little door knocking.

Be willing to start lower down on the totem pole: you will catch up as your wit, charm and good breeding make themselves evident!

Lok up brit com on youtube and have a laugh. Eric and Ernie a re always good for a chuckle - or Jasper Carrot!

Don't worry - winter will be over eventually!

All this is just a nicer way of saying pull yourself together, but is more likely to generate Karma

Don't take yourself too seriously, or even how you feel too seriously.

Try "This too shall pass!" for a mantra.

Or try this - from Susan Jeffers' book, "Feel the fear and do it anyway."

"I would prefer to have a great job and feel happy about my move to Canada, but I can handle it!"
No comment But i am surprised no one has broached the idea that the OP could be a troll
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

I really do sympathise...It is tough to move and cope in a new place.

But....Really to be honest I think you have to try and pull yourself together a bit - at least for the sake of your kids....Not clear to me if you are on your own or with a partner? Is he/she working?

Why don't you go and investigate mom's groups? Your nearest library will probably have something on OR your nearest church. Or perhaps even someone at your 5yr olds school might recommend somewhere....Local papers might have a listing of something as well. You need to start thinking about making a life 'cos it isn't going to come along for you.......When YOU are the new person YOU have to do the work.

As far as food goes...Sorry again I really don't want to sound harsh (I do know what it is like to feel thrown by a place honestly) but Vegetarian food in my experience starts with vegetables and you can buy those anywhere...All my supermarkets sell Tofu and beans etc...I don't know about ready made stuff as I don't eat it but veggies are everywhere!!!

Please don't think I am unsympathetic but you must know yourself that sitting around crying isn't going to get you anywhere. Coming to a new country is a challenge and I am sure if you just try and lift yourself up a bit you will make the best of it.....You had the courage to come here after all....

Good luck
L
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Gremmie
No comment But i am surprised no one has broached the idea that the OP could be a troll
IF you are broaching the idea, then broach it by PM or reporting the post.

It shows no signs of trollyness to me. People do get homesick, and post here for support, not a kick in the head when they are down.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
IF you are broaching the idea, then broach it by PM or reporting the post.

It shows no signs of trollyness to me. People do get homesick, and post here for support, not a kick in the head when they are down.
Agreed- don't jump to judgement quickly!!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:08 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone,

So here I am, We moved from the UK in Mid Dec 2008, have now been in Toronto for a month.
Experience so far..
Honestly it's not been great, I hate the TV, Can't get a job, find the food prices to be very expereince! have had enough of the snow!
Vegetarian food seems to be non exisistant.

The only plus pointm, I have a 5yr old who is enjoying school..

I'm feeling very sad, and low! I wonder if I've made the wrong decision about moving, I've already considered moving back to the UK..

ohh I'm sorry but I have nothing positive to write about!

$15 an hour seens like a basic wage here..

I don't think I can do this

I wanna go home.........................

:-(

Jinn
Hi Jinn, first of all I want to say I know EXACTLY how you are feeling right now!! I have felt all the same things you have and its horrible...... We moved over in October. I have been having the same problem with the work situation I can't seem to find anything either back home I was in healthcare and out of the two of us I thought that my job would be the easiest to sort out, but I was wrong the red tape here for healthcare jobs is a nightmare. Going from alwways working to having nothing to get up for is sole destroying, but hopefully things are starting to look up now, but I really do feel the smae feelings you are feeling and I'm not going to be alone when I say that you are not alone, we all go through these emotions that we haven't felt before, just take a step back and look at what you have done, it's huge!!!!! As people have told me give yourself some credit for what you HAVE achieved in the last few months it doesn't get any bigger than this!!
Try not to loose sight of the reasons why you came over in the first place and try to get out and meet new people, I know thats easier said than done, but will help. Don't go home yet!! you need to have a good go at it. I wanted to go home too last week I had had enough and needed a cuddle from my sister and my friends, but this week I feel much better, you will find that times that you feel low will get further and further apart and eventually they will fade (hopefully) Keep your chin up and if you need to chat PM and I will give you my number and we can have a proper chat. Take care
Bella
xx
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:11 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

If you were a credit analyst in Central London it's no wonder you're bored out of your skull in Mississauga. What type of credit did you analyse, commercial, personal, retail or industrial? Get your resume together and submit it to all the major banks in downtown Toronto. You may hit paydirt even in this lousy economy. It will not come to you.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:11 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Our main reason for moving was our children, as mentioned before we have a 5yr old and a 2 yr old, everyting in the UK just seemed to be getting bad, we thought a move here will be good for our children and gives us all a new start.

I have started to miss the London life, my job, certain foods.. especially TV..anyway I can get UKTV here.?

Anyone know of an Iceland type store here? mississauga.

I think I'm gonna give it somemore time here but come the summer if things have'nt improved and I still don't like it. We might have to move back to the UK.

Anyone ,know of people who have actually gone back home?
PM and I'll help you get the UK tv thing sorted!!
Bella

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.