Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fat Redneck Caught with Hand in Till

Fat Redneck Caught with Hand in Till

Old Dec 19th 2019, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fat Redneck Caught with Hand in Till

Originally Posted by dbd33
Little as I know of the issue, isn't it the case that:

- the Alberta oil isn't equivalent in grade to the imported oil, it's cheaper to refine the imported oil. If there's a war in the middle east, or the end of Trump, then Alberta oil might be viable again.
- the Trudeau government supports the contentious pipeline but the public do not.

?
It is my understanding that refineries out east have no issue with oil from Alberta. Not all of it comes from the oilsands.
The vast majority of those that may be actually affected by the TMX support it, including the vast majority of the First Nations whose lands it passes through. If one looks at the polls in BC, most there support it too. I accept that there are a few protestors that don't.

The pipelines to the east and another one to the north are another issue. Trudeau's government wanted to redo the studies that had already been done to include "upstream" effects to, as a result of which the proposer decided that doing business in Canada was not worth the effort and withdrew its application. This would be a fair argument for Trudeau to have made if, for example, he also ensured that the upstream effects of all that Canada produces must be taken into account too. That would likely shut down all of the vehicle manufacturing in the Provinces east of Alberta, as one can only anticipate how much carbon each would produce over their lifetime.

Noone seems to care about the coal that is exported from BC on a massive scale.

Obviously, if one is not in Alberta, then NIYBY considerations apply; there's little support for environmental destruction anywhere in Canada by people elsewhere in Canada. However, Trudeau is not anti-pipeline and this seems to me to be support for Alberta by the people in power.
I accept he allowed a single pipeline if only to ensure that all capital did not leave Canada.

I assume you are aware of the discount that is applied to a barrel of oil's sale price when its only destination is the US. It is approximately one third which, in turn, means that the government gets way less than a third of the royalties it should. In light of the billions involved, that is a lot of tax receipts that go to waste. But, hey ho, we have future generations to pay for the current governments profligacy.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Noone seems to care about the coal that is exported from BC on a massive scale.
I do agree with you but it should be noted that the vast majority of that coal is high grade, low sulphur metallurgical coal which is used in steel manufacturing, it is not thermal coal used for power generation.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Dec 20th 2019 at 10:40 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 1:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon my letting this thread languish. I've been trying to muster enthusiasm for reading about pipeline politics.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 1:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon my letting this thread languish. I've been trying to muster enthusiasm for reading about pipeline politics.
Oh yeah, that big train wreck and fire in Saskatchewan that they're still cleaning up. Those tank cars were the new improved ones that aren't supposed to rupture and catch fire. The message is that the new improved large capacity pipeline the government wants to build would be the safest method of transport, should it get built. Build it right alongside the existing pipeline for access and upgrade that one in the near future. The problem with shipwrecks and tankers polluting the ocean is another problem that isn't a case of if, but when, and the ocean has taken about all the killing it can already. Pipeline east, pipeline west, and refine our own stuff instead of selling overseas. I've always been against selling off pieces of the resource industry to foreign companies, having a red mindset that we should be stewards of the land instead of just exploiters and the potash and diamonds and uranium and oil won't do much for the future generations when they're owned by companies on the other side of the world. The government shouldn't be allowed to trim the deficit by selling off parts of the country.
And it's up to the resource sector to start thinking of the oil patch and the tar sands and the mines as finite quantities, and not something that will be going on forever.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Oh yeah, that big train wreck and fire in Saskatchewan that they're still cleaning up. Those tank cars were the new improved ones that aren't supposed to rupture and catch fire. The message is that the new improved large capacity pipeline the government wants to build would be the safest method of transport, should it get built. Build it right alongside the existing pipeline for access and upgrade that one in the near future. The problem with shipwrecks and tankers polluting the ocean is another problem that isn't a case of if, but when, and the ocean has taken about all the killing it can already. Pipeline east, pipeline west, and refine our own stuff instead of selling overseas. I've always been against selling off pieces of the resource industry to foreign companies, having a red mindset that we should be stewards of the land instead of just exploiters and the potash and diamonds and uranium and oil won't do much for the future generations when they're owned by companies on the other side of the world. The government shouldn't be allowed to trim the deficit by selling off parts of the country.
And it's up to the resource sector to start thinking of the oil patch and the tar sands and the mines as finite quantities, and not something that will be going on forever.
well if we want to move towards a low carbon electric future we are only going to increase our need for metals and rare earth minerals. We can and should do this is in a responsible way but you can’t switch the world from carbon to electric without the Canadian resource sector.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Dec 23rd 2019 at 3:53 pm.