Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family Income approx C$80,000 - Victoria BC

Family Income approx C$80,000 - Victoria BC

Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Income approx C$80,000 - Victoria BC

Have you ever been to Duncan? I would want $80k a year for moving there, Hicksville!

OP do not consider Duncan in any circumstance, going over the hat is not for the faint hearted in winter, the ambience is like a Hull caravan site. Seriously!
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

All relative to what your used to.

80,000 would put you just under the median income for Victoria for a family.

I'll move anywhere in southern Canada for 80,000 just putting it out there....lol
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:35 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Have you ever been to Duncan? I would want $80k a year for moving there, Hicksville! OP do not consider Duncan in any circumstance, going over the hat is not for the faint hearted in winter, the ambience is like a Hull caravan site. Seriously!
I don't mind Duncan. I think it's quite quaint. Reminds me of the town in Back to the Future. I believe it's the smallest "city" in Canada. If you don't have to work in Victoria, the Malahat is not an issue on a daily basis. It's rarely closed due to weather. In fact I can't remember it ever closing because of the weather. Now accidents, that's another matter.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I don't mind Duncan. I think it's quite quaint. Reminds me of the town in Back to the Future. I believe it's the smallest "city" in Canada. If you don't have to work in Victoria, the Malahat is not an issue on a daily basis. It's rarely closed due to weather. In fact I can't remember it ever closing because of the weather. Now accidents, that's another matter.
I've never felt the need or had the need to drive to that side of the island from the other side, but I know the accidents seem to be somewhat frequent. Is the highway bad because of design or is it the geography that just limits how they can build it?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:53 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've never felt the need or had the need to drive to that side of the island from the other side, but I know the accidents seem to be somewhat frequent. Is the highway bad because of design or is it the geography that just limits how they can build it?
There's nothing wrong with the road, it's the idiots that drive on it. Great bug SUVs with obligatory fog lights on all the time, screaming along at way over the speed limit. Tailgating cars to intimidate them out of the way. Or quite a few of the accidents are caused by morons performing illegal maneuvers or racing to jump lights. Or trying to turn across the traffic when there isn't enough time.
The road itself has a few potholes that could do with attention and sometimes the fog can be pretty dense. But then again, slow down and none of these issues has to be dangerous.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolg2712
After almost writing off returning to Canada (left age 8 and lived in England the last 30+ years although a Canadian Citizen) after over a year of no progress in getting my husband to consider options for immigration/returning citizen, he has finally considered that Victoria, BC could be an option that might warrant further investigation (he likes the fact it has a moderate climate and some history). However, at the initial stage of investigating, based on the average salaries for our jobs in BC (Project Co-ordinator / Web Designer), we would have a combined family income of approximately C$80,000. I am just wondering how realistic it would be for a family of 4 (kids currently aged 10 and 14) to have a reasonable standard of living on that kind of combined income. Obviously we might earn more or less than the average based on our work experience / qualifications but it seemed a good place to start.
Currently, we live in a 4-bed, 2-bath, house with an integrated garage and large garden. Is it possible for us to afford something of a similar size (or slightly ismaller 3-bed house) near Victoria and still have 2 cars (if needed) and a week's vacation each year (usually camping to be honest with a more expensive holiday every 3-5 years)? I've seen that the general cost of living is fairly comparable to what we have in England via Wiki article
Any help appreciated, or if this has recently been asked, could anyone direct me to the relevant thread. Thanks.
We live just north of Victoria with 3 kids. That was a similar wage we were on as a single wage when I came with the kids. Couldn't afford two cars on a sole wage. Housing took half of the wage each month so it wasn't a life of luxury. It can be done but you'll be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
It is beautiful but no fun having no money to spend (even with all that beauty).
Car insurance is expensive compared to what we paid in the UK. It all eats up one wage!
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:18 am
Account Closed

There's nothing wrong with the road, it's the idiots that drive on it. Great bug SUVs with obligatory fog lights on all the time, screaming along at way over the speed limit. Tailgating cars to intimidate them out of the way. Or quite a few of the accidents are caused by morons performing illegal maneuvers or racing to jump lights. Or trying to turn across the traffic when there isn't enough time.
The road itself has a few potholes that could do with attention and sometimes the fog can be pretty dense. But then again, slow down and none of these issues has to be dangerous.
Sounds like the Sea to Sky, while there are a couple parts where they did botch the road a bit, they just lowered the speed limit to 60, and if you do 60 you will be fine, if you do 80 or 100 and its rainy or icy you may end up off the road or crossing over the concrete median, if your doing 120+ you may end up off the road on perfectly sunny, warm dry summer days.

There are specific spots where the majority of the accidents happen, Lions Bay is one of the biggies, but if you just slow down and follow the speed limit, well you won't have issues.

In winter SUV's and trucks are the speed idiots, and they seem to think truck + snow = I don't need to slow down.

In summer motorcycles are the issue.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

I think as has already been said, it really depends on expectations. An income of $80k in Victoria isn't huge, but it's manageable. I think it's also relative to where you're coming from and the lifestyle you're used to. If you live in an expensive area of the UK already and money is tight, then Victoria is probably going to be a bit cheaper. If you live in a quiet, less expensive rural part of the UK, where house prices are comparatively low, then Victoria (and its surrounding towns/areas) might seem expensive. I personally don't agree that moving to Canada for the same money you can earn in the UK is pointless, it's a lifestyle choice too. Personally, I like the openness and space we enjoy here. I like the people. I like the ocean. I like the quieter roads and less congestion. I like the schools. In fact I like lots of things and I wouldn't swap them for the same, or even more money, back in the London we left. Money is important because it pays for things and keeps a family functioning, but it doesn't have to be the be all and end all of whether to move or not.
Good post. I agree with your synopsis of the situation in Victoria. We wanted to live in the Okanagan but since we have got used to living on the Island we are not so sure. It all depends on your expectations. From what I have seen a lot of people live on a lot less that that on the Island. The stress levels are also much lower. You don't need a boat, RV, cabin etc. they are going to be a luxury of the past for a lot of Canadians in the future - the boomer generation have seen to that! Just remember what the BC government has just decreed - we don't want to put housing controls in place in the LM to risk the nest eggs of the boomers retirement pots.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In summer motorcycles are the issue.
You may find its cage drivers not looking out for M/C!
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:09 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Good post. I agree with your synopsis of the situation in Victoria. We wanted to live in the Okanagan but since we have got used to living on the Island we are not so sure. It all depends on your expectations. From what I have seen a lot of people live on a lot less that that on the Island. The stress levels are also much lower. You don't need a boat, RV, cabin etc. they are going to be a luxury of the past for a lot of Canadians in the future - the boomer generation have seen to that! Just remember what the BC government has just decreed - we don't want to put housing controls in place in the LM to risk the nest eggs of the boomers retirement pots.
The Okanagan is pretty good too although hasn't got the ocean but people here live on a lot less. Work opportunities are a little lean though depending on what field you work in
Old Jan 16th 2016, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Aviator
You may find its cage drivers not looking out for M/C!
Nearly all the accidents were single motorcycle accidents with no other vehicles involved, and crotch rockets. The Harley riders are not generally an issue, its the hot shot speed rockets that are.

One example from this past summer. No other vehicles involved, cyclist lost control.

These are the issues on this highway every summer.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/mot...822/story.html

Speed likely a factor in fatal crash on Sea-to-Sky

From 2013 but happens several times every summer. Lead cycle in this case was doing double the 80/km limit, they just got caught speeding, no accident.

6 motorcycles nabbed for speeding on Sea to Sky Highway - British Columbia - CBC News

I do agree some accidents are caused by careless car drivers, but these single motorcycle accidents and police catching cycles going 140+ and well drive the S to S on a nice summer day going 100, and you will be passed by these riders like your standing completely still.

These riders not only put their lives at risk, but others as well, and of course can end up closing the highway for hours by speeding well over what is safe.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 5:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
The Okanagan is pretty good too although hasn't got the ocean but people here live on a lot less. Work opportunities are a little lean though depending on what field you work in
In general or for professionals? I like that region of BC, but looking online never seems to be a whole lot of jobs.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

carolg2712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your responses (even the off topic section on traffic and motorbikes was interesting ). This is why I'm using this forum to get a balanced view. In terms of lifestyle, we aren't planning on getting a boat anytime soon although may consider hiring one for a vacation should we get to Canada. Our kids are involved in Scouts and Air Cadets so their extra curricular activities aren't an issue as I understand both of them are available in Victoria. I am also a Brownies leader over here (Girl Scouts but you probably already know that) and that may be a way of getting to know people if I choose to do the same in Canada.

I will certainly have another look at average wages and see if I can get more detail on Victoria specific salaries and job opportunities so thanks for that. I may also try to get some work experience as a project manager (and possibly qualifications) as that will improve my job and income prospects. I also need to sort out paperwork as my Citizenship photocard shows a 7 year old girl so may need updating .

I think my next step (as well as further research) will be to try and organise a vacation in BC to get a better idea of what to expect. I spent my early years in Fernie, and whilst I don't intend returning there (unless industry has changed from logging and mining) it might be fun to show my kids where I lived if we had enough time to take it in (as well as some tourist bits and pieces).

Finally, with regard to Project Management, does anyone know if Prince 2 and Agile are useful skills to have in terms of employment prospects, and is my Prince 2 Foundation qualification likely to be recognised. I also have a BSc in Applied Computing and my husband's degree is a BSc in Computing (Computer Communications) for reference.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 8:21 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by carolg2712
Thanks for all your responses (even the off topic section on traffic and motorbikes was interesting ). This is why I'm using this forum to get a balanced view. In terms of lifestyle, we aren't planning on getting a boat anytime soon although may consider hiring one for a vacation should we get to Canada. Our kids are involved in Scouts and Air Cadets so their extra curricular activities aren't an issue as I understand both of them are available in Victoria. I am also a Brownies leader over here (Girl Scouts but you probably already know that) and that may be a way of getting to know people if I choose to do the same in Canada. I will certainly have another look at average wages and see if I can get more detail on Victoria specific salaries and job opportunities so thanks for that. I may also try to get some work experience as a project manager (and possibly qualifications) as that will improve my job and income prospects. I also need to sort out paperwork as my Citizenship photocard shows a 7 year old girl so may need updating . I think my next step (as well as further research) will be to try and organise a vacation in BC to get a better idea of what to expect. I spent my early years in Fernie, and whilst I don't intend returning there (unless industry has changed from logging and mining) it might be fun to show my kids where I lived if we had enough time to take it in (as well as some tourist bits and pieces). Finally, with regard to Project Management, does anyone know if Prince 2 and Agile are useful skills to have in terms of employment prospects, and is my Prince 2 Foundation qualification likely to be recognised. I also have a BSc in Applied Computing and my husband's degree is a BSc in Computing (Computer Communications) for reference.
Sparks, Brownies, Guides, are all very popular on the Island. My wife is some sort of High Priestess in the local chapter here in the Cowichan Valley (just to the North of Victoria). I must admit I don't really understand the funny handshakes and the ritual chanting, but the girls all seem to have a really good time and it's certainly a great way to meet like minded people.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

Sparks, Brownies, Guides, are all very popular on the Island. My wife is some sort of High Priestess in the local chapter here in the Cowichan Valley (just to the North of Victoria). I must admit I don't really understand the funny handshakes and the ritual chanting, but the girls all seem to have a really good time and it's certainly a great way to meet like minded people.
Do they sell cookies in Canada still? Haven't seen any cookie sales or anyone selling them for a couple years now, but could just be this area isn't popular for guides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.