Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family Income approx C$80,000 - Victoria BC

Family Income approx C$80,000 - Victoria BC

Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

carolg2712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Income approx C$80,000 - Victoria BC

After almost writing off returning to Canada (left age 8 and lived in England the last 30+ years although a Canadian Citizen) after over a year of no progress in getting my husband to consider options for immigration/returning citizen, he has finally considered that Victoria, BC could be an option that might warrant further investigation (he likes the fact it has a moderate climate and some history). However, at the initial stage of investigating, based on the average salaries for our jobs in BC (Project Co-ordinator / Web Designer), we would have a combined family income of approximately C$80,000. I am just wondering how realistic it would be for a family of 4 (kids currently aged 10 and 14) to have a reasonable standard of living on that kind of combined income. Obviously we might earn more or less than the average based on our work experience / qualifications but it seemed a good place to start.
Currently, we live in a 4-bed, 2-bath, house with an integrated garage and large garden. Is it possible for us to afford something of a similar size (or slightly smaller 3-bed house) near Victoria and still have 2 cars (if needed) and a week's vacation each year (usually camping to be honest with a more expensive holiday every 3-5 years)? I've seen that the general cost of living is fairly comparable to what we have in England via Wiki article
Any help appreciated, or if this has recently been asked, could anyone direct me to the relevant thread. Thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Income approx C$80,000 - Victoria BC

Originally Posted by carolg2712
After almost writing off returning to Canada (left age 8 and lived in England the last 30+ years although a Canadian Citizen) after over a year of no progress in getting my husband to consider options for immigration/returning citizen, he has finally considered that Victoria, BC could be an option that might warrant further investigation (he likes the fact it has a moderate climate and some history). However, at the initial stage of investigating, based on the average salaries for our jobs in BC (Project Co-ordinator / Web Designer), we would have a combined family income of approximately C$80,000. I am just wondering how realistic it would be for a family of 4 (kids currently aged 10 and 14) to have a reasonable standard of living on that kind of combined income. Obviously we might earn more or less than the average based on our work experience / qualifications but it seemed a good place to start.
Currently, we live in a 4-bed, 2-bath, house with an integrated garage and large garden. Is it possible for us to afford something of a similar size (or slightly smaller 3-bed house) near Victoria and still have 2 cars (if needed) and a week's vacation each year (usually camping to be honest with a more expensive holiday every 3-5 years)? I've seen that the general cost of living is fairly comparable to what we have in England via Wiki article
Any help appreciated, or if this has recently been asked, could anyone direct me to the relevant thread. Thanks.
It'll all depend on if you have to pay for accommodation. If you do, I'd doubt a family of four be able to live very well on that. Especially if you have to buy and insure cars. You realize its only about 38k in English pounds. You'd need a job with a similar income.

Personally, you'd be mad to move here for that wage.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 14th 2016 at 1:20 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

carolg2712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick response Oink - our combined income here is about £35k so not much different. Realistically, what sort of family income is needed that would make it worthwhile making the move. I am currently working in Project Support, but am trying to make the move into Project Management having studied Prince2 and Agile but the opportunities with my current employer aren't there at the moment, and ultimately being a project manager should increase the family income fairly significantly if I'm successful so it could become viable once I have the necessary project management experience.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick response Oink - our combined income here is about £35k so not much different. Realistically, what sort of family income is needed that would make it worthwhile making the move. I am currently working in Project Support, but am trying to make the move into Project Management having studied Prince2 and Agile but the opportunities with my current employer aren't there at the moment, and ultimately being a project manager should increase the family income fairly significantly if I'm successful so it could become viable once I have the necessary project management experience.
If you both made $80k each, then its doable. Personally, I wouldn't choose to move here for less than $180k and it'd probably have to be considerably more to make me want to live in Victoria.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Confusedmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha Oh dear,
We are moving to Victoria and while my husband will earn more than 80k its a lot less than the figures you are saying. I doubt I will be able to add to the income as I have 4 children 7 and under..... Ah well we are skint over here so may as well be skint over there to!
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I once heard that a poor person in Canada is someone who doesn't own a boat. You will not be able to afford a boat on that income.

$80k is roughly the average household income in Canada. Victoria is more expensive than an average city in Canada.

If the will is there - if you are determined to make a new life here come what may and will cut your cloth accordingly - you can do OK on $80k. You will not have a glossy magazine lifestyle but you won't starve. A lot will depend on how much you pay for housing and that usually means how far you are prepared to commute.

My guess is that you will struggle to find a 4 bed/2 bath house rental with an easy commute to downtown Victoria that you can comfortably afford. If you don't work downtown that may open up other possibilities or you may need to be flexible to start with.

If one of you is reluctant to make the move it might make things difficult.

Also, put more research into likely earnings. I would expect Victoria to pay more than the provincial average. If you are both working $40k each seems very low to me.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedmum
Haha Oh dear,
We are moving to Victoria and while my husband will earn more than 80k its a lot less than the figures you are saying. I doubt I will be able to add to the income as I have 4 children 7 and under..... Ah well we are skint over here so may as well be skint over there to!
It is all relative. Someone used to spending $200,000 a year will think $100,000 is abject poverty. Someone used to spending $60,000 will think $100,000 is riches.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Realistically, what sort of family income is needed that would make it worthwhile making the move.
Honestly only you can answer that as everyone has a different level of lifestyle that they expect.

The sites are the on the internet to figure out how much things are. Rent will probably be your biggest expense, you can check on Craigslist how much rentals are. And then you have to look at things like

- car insurance (expensive because ICBC run the show)
- internet
- health insurance (if not paid for by employer)
- kids activities

etc...

Something else you would need to factor in is the costs of actually moving here which can be quite substantial when they are all added up.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I once heard that a poor person in Canada is someone who doesn't own a boat. You will not be able to afford a boat on that income.

$80k is roughly the average household income in Canada. Victoria is more expensive than an average city in Canada.

If the will is there - if you are determined to make a new life here come what may and will cut your cloth accordingly - you can do OK on $80k. You will not have a glossy magazine lifestyle but you won't starve. A lot will depend on how much you pay for housing and that usually means how far you are prepared to commute.

My guess is that you will struggle to find a 4 bed/2 bath house rental with an easy commute to downtown Victoria that you can comfortably afford. If you don't work downtown that may open up other possibilities or you may need to be flexible to start with.

If one of you is reluctant to make the move it might make things difficult.

Also, put more research into likely earnings. I would expect Victoria to pay more than the provincial average. If you are both working $40k each seems very low to me.
Give me a break. They have kids. How much will it cost them to put their children in organised sports, music lessons, school trips, possible summer camp etc? That's without having to pay for a tutor to make up for the woeful public education over there. People obvious manage on that or even less, but to make the effort and expense of moving halfway around the world to do it, naff that.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Give me a break. They have kids. How much will it cost them to put their children in organised sports, music lessons, school trips, possible summer camp etc? That's without having to pay for a tutor to make up for the woeful public education over there. People obvious manage on that or even less, but to make the effort and expense of moving halfway around the world to do it, naff that.
When they are young its a breeze. It's when they go to uni and become adults the costs really rack up, the bank of mum and dad!

We managed on less than that for a while, but it was not easy and I had to take a proper job.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator
When they are young its a breeze. It's when they go to uni and become adults the costs really rack up, the bank of mum and dad!

We managed on less than that for a while, but it was not easy and I had to take a proper job.
That's my point. If you grew up here then I can see it and I'm not judging, people have to manage with what they have, but why would you choose to go live in an isolated place like Vancouver Island just to manage?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's my point. If you grew up here then I can see it and I'm not judging, people have to manage with what they have, but why would you choose to go live in an isolated place like Vancouver Island just to manage?
I guess it depends on how long one has to just manage. If there are good prospects for betterment it may be worth the gamble. If what you have now is about it with no light further down the tunnel, not sure I would have done it. When I came, I had big plans, some were pipe dreams, some more viable and came to fruition. I would say our lifestyle is better here than it would have been in the UK, but who knows. Life is like a box of chocolates as Forrest said.

If immediate continuation of ones current lifestyle is important, more so than the adventure, I would not do it. If one wants to take a chance and have the adventure, take the rough with the smooth, its worth a shot.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Life is like a box of chocolates as Forrest said.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think as has already been said, it really depends on expectations. An income of $80k in Victoria isn't huge, but it's manageable. I think it's also relative to where you're coming from and the lifestyle you're used to. If you live in an expensive area of the UK already and money is tight, then Victoria is probably going to be a bit cheaper. If you live in a quiet, less expensive rural part of the UK, where house prices are comparatively low, then Victoria (and its surrounding towns/areas) might seem expensive. I personally don't agree that moving to Canada for the same money you can earn in the UK is pointless, it's a lifestyle choice too. Personally, I like the openness and space we enjoy here. I like the people. I like the ocean. I like the quieter roads and less congestion. I like the schools. In fact I like lots of things and I wouldn't swap them for the same, or even more money, back in the London we left. Money is important because it pays for things and keeps a family functioning, but it doesn't have to be the be all and end all of whether to move or not.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

$80k gross, 4 kids & rent ...then IMO stay in the UK, or move to somewhere such as New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.

There is a poster on here 'jsmit that lives with his wife in rural Squamish BC, as a couple they survive on $30k joint income. Jobs are far & few between, low pay. I think they are moving to some place else within the province around Duncan BC or some place else. again jobs will be the issue even if rents are lower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.