Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

EXPORTING A Landrover!

EXPORTING A Landrover!

Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:27 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EXPORTING A Landrover!

Originally Posted by Gazman
I understand it will need a Canadian MOT and all that rigmarole but I no nothing about getting it into a shipping container I'd be very grateful for your advice........
It goes something like... Contact a local shipping agent in the UK. Tell them you want to ship your vehicle to Canada and emphasise that it's over 15 years old. They'll give you the advice you need, quote you a price, tell you where to take it, handle the export paperwork and engage an import agent at the far end (Canada) if required. Once imported (as an object) you then need to see about registering the vehicle locally.

Shop around as prices will vary considerably.

We're going to ship a 20ft container anyway... our Jeep will go in with all my tools and big boys toys... after that the wife can squeeze in all the non essential items what she wants like furniture, electrical household items and clothes etc.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by james.mc
It goes something like... Contact a local shipping agent in the UK. Tell them you want to ship your vehicle to Canada and emphasise that it's over 15 years old. They'll give you the advice you need, quote you a price, tell you where to take it, handle the export paperwork and engage an import agent at the far end (Canada) if required. Once imported (as an object) you then need to see about registering the vehicle locally.

Shop around as prices will vary considerably.

We're going to ship a 20ft container anyway... our Jeep will go in with all my tools and big boys toys... after that the wife can squeeze in all the non essential items what she wants like furniture, electrical household items and clothes etc.
That's great thanks, It's really not rocket science after all is it...just a case of asking others All my belongings will actually fit in to the back of my Toyota...I had visions of it being lifted on to a boat with straps around the wheels, but container makes sense because it will protected inside for the voyage. Now I'm going to find someone to share a container with or find something else to fill up the container...hmmm...I've heard Walker's Cheese & Onion crisps are hard to find in Canada...a new business venture... how exciting!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice

don't bring it
landrovers are dreadfully expensive on parts and insurance, many garages won't touch them plus if you really really want one of the useless heaps of trash that let you down all of the time, buy one here and save the cost plus we drive on the other side of the road
I would save my money and buy a toyota
Old Dec 1st 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scliffe
don't bring it
landrovers are dreadfully expensive on parts and insurance, many garages won't touch them plus if you really really want one of the useless heaps of trash that let you down all of the time, buy one here and save the cost plus we drive on the other side of the road
As a current Land Rover owner in Calgary i agree with the above!!!!!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scliffe
don't bring it
Right!, I'll bring my Toyota
Attached Thumbnails EXPORTING A Landrover!-go-anywhere-toyo.jpg  
Old Dec 1st 2012, 4:36 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerseytocanada
As a current Land Rover owner in Calgary i agree with the above!!!!!
You have no idea how disheartening it is to hear this (again and again).
when it's time for the old Red Chev to be retired I've told hubby I want either a Land Rover or Range Rover (obviously not a spanker!) but more so because - well to me there'll always be 'Brit' vehicles and it'll be my stand against all of the 1 ton dually's and 3/4 ton jacked up hd's that congragate at family do's.

Please tell me they won't be laughing in public at me when I complain I need to spend $5000 on a window regulator or whatever

As they go (aside from those very sweet but not for me defenders) what IS the most reliable of the lot?????
Old Dec 1st 2012, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point

um the landy is one of the most reliable vehicles we have had, give me a older landy anyday to the new electronic crap nowadays (we had a nissan nevara outlaw, modern etc always let us down and cost 20x more to fix), my hubby does all the work him self on it and he knows the vehicle inside out, it is also build for offroading (which is his passion) (and sadly the Toyota will NOT do what a landy does) the landy will have had everything new on it so hopefully wont need any parts for a while. We have to send out a container anyway so it wont cost any extra to bring it along! xxx
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You have no idea how disheartening it is to hear this (again and again).
when it's time for the old Red Chev to be retired I've told hubby I want either a Land Rover or Range Rover (obviously not a spanker!) but more so because - well to me there'll always be 'Brit' vehicles and it'll be my stand against all of the 1 ton dually's and 3/4 ton jacked up hd's that congragate at family do's.

Please tell me they won't be laughing in public at me when I complain I need to spend $5000 on a window regulator or whatever

As they go (aside from those very sweet but not for me defenders) what IS the most reliable of the lot?????
Sadly whatever you go for you'll find trouble maintaining it. A friend of mine bought a brand new landrover in 2006 and had to send it back to the garage six times because of major mechanical problems. Earlier models of Discovery, Freelander or P38 Rangies all had their own issues too.

I'd have to say if you must, then go only for a classic Range Rover, 1995 or older which is NOT an air-suspension variant. Air suspension appeared from 92 onwards but may owners saw the sense in converting them back to springs as the airbags were notoriously troublesome.

You'll often find a very well looked after example of the classic if you look around. I had a 1991 Range Rover Vogue which was awesome..OOPS, sorry, there's that Canadian word again!... Even though I had no trouble with mine they can be a pain to work on when there is a problem. Many mechanics who have had previous experience of them will not want to even look at them..."take it away!" is response you could get...
If you don't have a moderate amount of mechanical aptitude yourself, or a big pit of money, i'd think about something else that would be equally as quirky to the natives but less troublesome to maintain.

Last edited by Gazman; Dec 1st 2012 at 12:03 pm. Reason: bad spellnig day
Old Dec 1st 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by franfluff
..., my hubby does all the work him self on it and he knows the vehicle inside out, it is also build for offroading (which is his passion) ...(and sadly the Toyota will NOT do what a landy does) the landy will have had everything new on it so hopefully wont need any parts for a while. We have to send out a container anyway so it wont cost any extra to bring it along! xxx
That's exactly the most important point!, 'my hubby does all the work him self on it and he knows the vehicle inside out'... You must have some mechanical aptitude yourself if and a passion for the old landrovers if you're going to own one.

'The landy will have had everything new on it so hopefully wont need any parts for a while'... Don't be so sure!, new landrovers are not built to the same standard as the older Defenders were.

'and sadly the Toyota will NOT do what a landy does'... I Don't want to gloat here but I got my old Toyota stuck in a hole in a field just last week after I'd filled it with logs and a friend came with his landrover to pull me out...however, once out of the hole my Toyota climbed easily to the top of the field but his landy got stuck and I then had to help him out!:
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
Sadly whatever you go for you'll find trouble maintaining it. A friend of mine bought a brand new landrover in 2006 and had to send it back to the garage six times because of major mechanical problems. Earlier models of Discovery, Freelander or P38 Rangies all had their own issues too.

I'd have to say if you must, then go only for a classic Range Rover, 1995 or older which is NOT an air-suspension variant. Air suspension appeared from 92 onwards but may owners saw the sense in converting them back to springs as the airbags were notoriously troublesome.

You'll often find a very well looked after example of the classic if you look around. I had a 1991 Range Rover Vogue which was awesome..OOPS, sorry, there's that Canadian word again!... Even though I had no trouble with mine they can be a pain to work on when there is a problem. Many mechanics who have had previous experience of them will not want to even look at them..."take it away!" is response you could get...
If you don't have a moderate amount of mechanical aptitude yourself, or a big pit of money, i'd think about something else that would be equally as quirky to the natives but less troublesome to maintain.
I really do think on this one occassion i'll have to listen to what seems to be the overwhelming concensus.

That sucks because I don't want the same kind of SUV or truck like all the other girlies in the family
Old Dec 1st 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby wouldnt be without his 300TDI defender (1995) it is build for the extreme offroading, Air Locking Diffs front and back, lift kit, external roll cage, winches etc etc so getting stuck = serious damage lol otherwise never a prob!!! Yolandy (the landrover) has just driven all the way to Nord Kapp (north of Norway) in 2 weeks covering 5600 miles temps as low as -29 and never missed a beat! Great fun, and part of the family! )) x
Old Dec 1st 2012, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I really do think on this one occassion i'll have to listen to what seems to be the overwhelming concensus.

That sucks because I don't want the same kind of SUV or truck like all the other girlies in the family
Well you don't have to get the same as all the other girlies...you could always just 'tweek' your opinion a bit about those 'very sweet but not for me defenders'..
You really won't go far wrong with a good 200tdi or 300tdi Defender (nor a well looked after Classic Range Rover for that matter), and if you can make friends with someone like franfluff's hubby, buy him chocs at Christmas, tell him how much you love your Defender etc...then you've got someone to keep it sweet for you!...go for it!!!

Last edited by Gazman; Dec 1st 2012 at 9:19 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Take a look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover...item2ec37fc141 ...buy one of these and shove it up your neighbor's nostril sideways!
Old Dec 1st 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

also, remember to send the yellow slip of the logbook to the DVLA letting them know the vehicle has been exported, and bring the rest of the logbook with you to Canada
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Fonfe is an unknown quantity at this point

The people you want to speak to are Berkshire land rover.
Www.berkshirelandrover.com
I used to work for them and we used to build defenders to customer spec for export to the US. I was the parts manager and used to send parts all around the world so spares won't be an issue for you.
Speak to Charles, he is one of the owners....tell him fonfe sent you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.