Reload this Page >

Experience of landing at Toronto - 9th March 21'

Experience of landing at Toronto - 9th March 21'

Old Mar 11th 2021, 11:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experience of landing at Toronto - 9th March 21'

Hi all,

I wanted to share our experience of landing at Toronto on 09/03/21.

We connected to Heathrow on Aer Lingus who only allow a maximum of two bags per person not exceeding 40kg each (on European flights) and no additional bags can be added apparently, (annoying.) We were approximately 20 kg overweight in total and were just going to bite the bullet, the woman on the check in desk didn't even flinch and let us on our way.

We landed in Heathrow at 0845 am, as soon as we walked off the plane we were greeted by about 10 Border Force personnel, we were asked why we were travelling and our passports were scanned on an app, they didn't ask for the newest paperwork required by the government that came into effect on 08/03/21 if travelling from England, after several minutes we were let on our way. A few other people were also stopped, the majority weren't. T2 was eerily quiet and by the time we got the baggage claim our suitcases were waiting on us.

We leisurely visited Costa coffee and checked in. No queues anywhere. We provided our negative Covid tests at this point and checked our bags in. The excess weight was ignored and we just had to pay for additional cases. We went to security and we were the only people there! Very strange. Duty free and WHS Smith were open plus a few other eateries.

We proceeded to our gate where we counted 35 people boarding the flight. Air Canada staff are checking boarding passes as people are waiting in case people have not produced their negative Covid test as the self check out screens are in use. I noticed our boarding passes had 'docs ok,' handwritten on it. There is nothing to stop people writing this themselves, when we told staff ours said 'docs ok,' she took us at our word and did not want to see them. It would be interesting to see if someone got to this point and didn't have a test result.

Before boarding a temperature check is carried out, (again I would like to see what happens if it is high.) On the plane there was an abundance of space, in our section of the cabin there were 5 other people which was great. Air Canada hand out clear plastic bags to everyone with water, headphones, sanitizer, face mask and a few anti bacterial wipes. Apart from wearing your mask the whole time the flight is pretty much the same with normal food and drink service.

After arriving in Toronto we went to immigration where we produced the normal documentation, we were asked for our ArriveCan receipt, our negative test and our hotel booking. We were advised to proceed to baggage claim. Some people were taken to speak to 'Health Canada,' we assumed this was for people without a hotel booking. There were no queues here and this took about 2 minutes.

After claiming our bags we proceeded to customs to declare our goods to follow and accompanying goods list. Again, no queues and we were seen straight away. The guy we spoke to was friendly and helpful. He wasn't interested in the accompanying goods list. He filled out the paperwork and gave us a receipt which was stamped, the actual lists weren't but were attached to the receipt and he made copies of the list. He also told us since the mandatory hotel stay there is about 2-300 passengers flying into Pearson daily whereas it was about 2000+ before this.

We proceeded to take our Covid test, we had pre registered for this as we had seen the queues on the media and thought this may be useful. There was no need as again there was no queue and we were seen straight away. If you haven't pre registered, you register there and then and are handed your test kit. You proceed around the corner, the pack is passed to a nurse who administers the test, you are then passed a 'home testing kit,' to be taken on day 10 of your quarantine.

We were greeted by staff asking which hotel we were staying at and then directed there. Ours was in the airport complex and we arrived by monorail. We checked in in the normal way and went to our room, just your standard hotel room. No water or fridge, after enquiring water can be ordered and brought up but you are charged $2 per bottle. You are given a 500 ml bottle with each meal but that's not enough after being stuck in the hotel room without ventilation etc. I strongly disagree with this, we are already paying $400 dollars per night for a $82 dollar hotel room. We are still at the hotel and I will be discussing the water bill with them on checking out.

The food is a strong 5/10. The menu is super limited, 4 options for lunch and dinner. Chicken Parmesan, it's edible but nothing to write home about. Meals are dropped at the door. I should say you are allowed to go outside for air. We noticed somebody getting a KFC delivery and couldn't believe we hadn't thought of this, straight on to Uber Eats!

We are just happy to be here and will hopefully be checking out soon. I would also like to see if the remaining night is refunded if we leave before tonight. Part of me doesn't care about the water charges or paying for a night we didn't stay we are just delighted to be here safely and after the horror of maybe having to spend $2000 each for a hotel stay we paid $1400 for everything.

My wife has received her 'negative result,' via email, mine has not come through yet. As soon as it is there will two people shaped silhouettes in the nearest wall!

Our journey to Canada started on here about 5 years ago, this site was the only way we were about to complete the PR sponsorship paperwork ourselves. After ruling out a move and then ruling it back in, here we are. We are excited to finish quarantine and get started. Thank you to everyone on here who helped us directly or indirectly. Good luck to everyone thinking of moving, in the process of moving or recently moved!
Old Mar 11th 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of landing at Toronto - 9th March 21'

Welcome! Not the easiest time to immigrate but you have made it work. I wish you all the best in your new life and hopefully we will see you some day at one of the Toronto meet ups - once we can have them again.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely - thank you
Old Mar 11th 2021, 3:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!!

Old Mar 11th 2021, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Old Mar 11th 2021, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Hi all,

I wanted to share our experience of landing at Toronto on 09/03/21.

We connected to Heathrow on Aer Lingus who only allow a maximum of two bags per person not exceeding 40kg each (on European flights) and no additional bags can be added apparently, (annoying.) We were approximately 20 kg overweight in total and were just going to bite the bullet, the woman on the check in desk didn't even flinch and let us on our way.

We landed in Heathrow at 0845 am, as soon as we walked off the plane we were greeted by about 10 Border Force personnel, we were asked why we were travelling and our passports were scanned on an app, they didn't ask for the newest paperwork required by the government that came into effect on 08/03/21 if travelling from England, after several minutes we were let on our way. A few other people were also stopped, the majority weren't. T2 was eerily quiet and by the time we got the baggage claim our suitcases were waiting on us.

We leisurely visited Costa coffee and checked in. No queues anywhere. We provided our negative Covid tests at this point and checked our bags in. The excess weight was ignored and we just had to pay for additional cases. We went to security and we were the only people there! Very strange. Duty free and WHS Smith were open plus a few other eateries.

We proceeded to our gate where we counted 35 people boarding the flight. Air Canada staff are checking boarding passes as people are waiting in case people have not produced their negative Covid test as the self check out screens are in use. I noticed our boarding passes had 'docs ok,' handwritten on it. There is nothing to stop people writing this themselves, when we told staff ours said 'docs ok,' she took us at our word and did not want to see them. It would be interesting to see if someone got to this point and didn't have a test result.

Before boarding a temperature check is carried out, (again I would like to see what happens if it is high.) On the plane there was an abundance of space, in our section of the cabin there were 5 other people which was great. Air Canada hand out clear plastic bags to everyone with water, headphones, sanitizer, face mask and a few anti bacterial wipes. Apart from wearing your mask the whole time the flight is pretty much the same with normal food and drink service.

After arriving in Toronto we went to immigration where we produced the normal documentation, we were asked for our ArriveCan receipt, our negative test and our hotel booking. We were advised to proceed to baggage claim. Some people were taken to speak to 'Health Canada,' we assumed this was for people without a hotel booking. There were no queues here and this took about 2 minutes.

After claiming our bags we proceeded to customs to declare our goods to follow and accompanying goods list. Again, no queues and we were seen straight away. The guy we spoke to was friendly and helpful. He wasn't interested in the accompanying goods list. He filled out the paperwork and gave us a receipt which was stamped, the actual lists weren't but were attached to the receipt and he made copies of the list. He also told us since the mandatory hotel stay there is about 2-300 passengers flying into Pearson daily whereas it was about 2000+ before this.

We proceeded to take our Covid test, we had pre registered for this as we had seen the queues on the media and thought this may be useful. There was no need as again there was no queue and we were seen straight away. If you haven't pre registered, you register there and then and are handed your test kit. You proceed around the corner, the pack is passed to a nurse who administers the test, you are then passed a 'home testing kit,' to be taken on day 10 of your quarantine.

We were greeted by staff asking which hotel we were staying at and then directed there. Ours was in the airport complex and we arrived by monorail. We checked in in the normal way and went to our room, just your standard hotel room. No water or fridge, after enquiring water can be ordered and brought up but you are charged $2 per bottle. You are given a 500 ml bottle with each meal but that's not enough after being stuck in the hotel room without ventilation etc. I strongly disagree with this, we are already paying $400 dollars per night for a $82 dollar hotel room. We are still at the hotel and I will be discussing the water bill with them on checking out.

The food is a strong 5/10. The menu is super limited, 4 options for lunch and dinner. Chicken Parmesan, it's edible but nothing to write home about. Meals are dropped at the door. I should say you are allowed to go outside for air. We noticed somebody getting a KFC delivery and couldn't believe we hadn't thought of this, straight on to Uber Eats!

We are just happy to be here and will hopefully be checking out soon. I would also like to see if the remaining night is refunded if we leave before tonight. Part of me doesn't care about the water charges or paying for a night we didn't stay we are just delighted to be here safely and after the horror of maybe having to spend $2000 each for a hotel stay we paid $1400 for everything.

My wife has received her 'negative result,' via email, mine has not come through yet. As soon as it is there will two people shaped silhouettes in the nearest wall!

Our journey to Canada started on here about 5 years ago, this site was the only way we were about to complete the PR sponsorship paperwork ourselves. After ruling out a move and then ruling it back in, here we are. We are excited to finish quarantine and get started. Thank you to everyone on here who helped us directly or indirectly. Good luck to everyone thinking of moving, in the process of moving or recently moved!
Great summary, thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Did you end up being able to order uber eats/delivery food? if yes, how did it work? Did they bring to front desk and front desk bring to your room, or were you allowed to leave the room to collect in the lobby?
Old Mar 18th 2021, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gozit
Did you end up being able to order uber eats/delivery food? if yes, how did it work? Did they bring to front desk and front desk bring to your room, or were you allowed to leave the room to collect in the lobby?
Yes we ended up using it. When ordering you can specify your room number and give instructions. We asked for it to be left at our door and the hotel staff kindly done this. It could be different in other hotels but I can't see a problem going down and collecting it.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Yes we ended up using it. When ordering you can specify your room number and give instructions. We asked for it to be left at our door and the hotel staff kindly done this. It could be different in other hotels but I can't see a problem going down and collecting it.
Ok thank you. Which hotel did you stay if you dont mind me asking and how do you rate the room, comfort etc. If this crap is still around in July I may be needing it.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Alt Hotel at Toronto airport. It was fine for what it is, an airport hotel, it's clean and staff are friendly. They didn't end up charging us for any water to our room but they did charge us for the third night we didn't use.