Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!! WHERE TOO START WITH MOVING....

HELP!!!! WHERE TOO START WITH MOVING....

Old Mar 17th 2021, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

ZoeBatty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!!!! WHERE TOO START WITH MOVING....

Hi,
I'm looking for advice and people's experiences please..

Me, my husband and 3year old daughter are wanting to move to Canada. We love the outdoors, enjoy family time in home together, meals out and sports. For us Canada is very appealing.
The only problem is I don't know where too start with looking into and researching the move 🤷🏼‍♀️
What part of Canada would we move too? We would ideally like to be in/near the countryside but not in the middle of nowhere, a place that is close to schools/restaurants/walks/shops but not in the busy town centers.

How do you go about visa and work?
I work with primary school children who have special educational needs and my husband is an MOT tester with his licence to drive heavy machinery.

We would sell our house in England which would put us in good stead money wise.

I just have no idea what to do.

Any advice or something to point my in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks again

Zoe 😊
Old Mar 17th 2021, 8:48 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!! WHERE TOO START WITH MOVING....

Originally Posted by ZoeBatty
Hi,

Me, my husband and 3year old daughter are wanting to move to Canada. We love the outdoors, enjoy family time in home together, meals out and sports. For us Canada is very appealing.
The only problem is I don't know where too start with looking into and researching the move 🤷🏼‍♀️
What part of Canada would we move too? We would ideally like to be in/near the countryside but not in the middle of nowhere, a place that is close to schools/restaurants/walks/shops but not in the busy town centers.

I work with primary school children who have special educational needs and my husband is an MOT tester with his licence to drive heavy machinery.

Any advice or something to point my in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks again

Zoe 😊
I would probably start with researching how you can get a work visa or how you can move to Canada. The site below may help, plus I think there is a wiki section here somewhere.

Found it
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 17th 2021 at 10:23 pm. Reason: Link removed as it’s not accurate and looks a bit dodgy!
Old Mar 17th 2021, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE. As above, start with the visa. There’s no point in worrying about where to live if you aren’t able to move, or if you need a job offer/sponsorship to get a visa and so may not have much choice in where you go.

The official government website has a visa eligibility test, so start with that and then let us know what it says and we’ll point you in the right direction. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

It sounds as though both of your occupations may possibly be regulated ones in Canada, so it would also be worth checking what you’d need to do to be able to work in Canada in terms of getting registered, sitting exams etc.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 9:04 am
Just Joined

AJ_2021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZoeBatty
Hi,

Thanks again

Zoe 😊
I would research the potential roles available for starters and see if you are willing to sacrifice things like the long annual leave you have in the UK to spend with your family at the moment to the much less entitlements you will have in a Canada.

Will your quality of life be any better in Canada? That's what you need to really ask yourself first. If you are still interested, look at the opportunities in terms of residence, including the points required for express entry. You will need to do a lot of prep to get a successful application, including language tests, medicals, qualification conversions etc.

Moving to Canada is not easy and sacrifices will need to be made. MOTs don't exist in Canada per se, so I assume he is a mechanic, a transferrable skill, but he will likely need to redo / transfer his quals. You need to work out whether you would both be employable. Eg. If your partner needs to start over with his heavy goods licence?

Consider, are you willing to spend less time together maybe for more money and whether it is actually worth it in the long run.

Canada is different to life in the UK. Not better, not worse, but different. If you like mild climate like the UK be prepared to pay $$$ for the western province of BC, meanwhile other locations are far more affordable and more like UK pricing but will be colder and may not give you the quality of life you are used to.