Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Experience Canada Working Visa (UK)

Experience Canada Working Visa (UK)

Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:49 am
Just Joined

BarrattsMini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experience Canada Working Visa (UK)

Hello all,

I have been using LP TTF for a while now but mainly flicker between the UK forums and Australia’s. It seems the Canada forum over there isn't particularly busy and I was advised to head here so sorry for a HUGE first post I'm just copying and pasting from there to here

I apologise right now as this will be lengthy. Lots of questions. We are very serious on Canada and we only missed the bloody visas this time around as we didn’t get back from our farm work until mid-January so no internet meant no chance of applying.

My girlfriend and I are currently in Sydney on our second working holiday visas. This would finalise December 2014 so we are considering this working holiday visa for 2015.

I actually signed up to the Canada International webpage to let me know when this year’s went up for ‘sale’ but never received notice – they obviously go quickly as it seems all 3 scheduled releases for the UK have gone.

Question: Assuming they do similar date slots this year round does one have to apply on that specific date aka wait until it opens and then fill out the form and submit. Or do people fill the form out in advance, have everything ready and then as soon as it goes ‘live’ spam the submit button immediately?

Question:
Does anyone have any idea how many applicants go forward from the UK per year? 5,000 is a small number and I assume the number applying is much larger. Being in Sydney it assumed I was Australian and they have over 8,000 still available. Considering the UK has probably 3 times the population and like 1/10th the size it seems a little unfair but I suppose there are reasons within immigration.

Question: The website states $2,500 (Canadian) as a landing amount to cover the first 3 month. Is this feasible? Australia suggested $5,000 (AUD) but this is extremely conservative and by the time we found work (4-6 week) we had pretty much nothing left having paid bonds, rent, food etc. Assuming we go or get the visa what is a realistic amount?

I mean it sounds great because it wouldn’t take much time to get that sort of money together + a cheap flight – Could be ready to fly pretty much from Australia, leads to my next question;

Question: Can we apply from Australia? The website seems to state we can apply from elsewhere and the letter of acceptance is received via e-mail?

Question: I appreciate this may be a little silly but where would the best place be for securing office work?

It seems a lot of folk go for the snow related work (Chalets, lift operators – whatever) but we aren’t bothered about that kind of work. We would very much be looking at probably plonking ourselves in one city for like 9-10 month to work/save and then travel around. I appreciate this would likely mean one particular city so wondering if anyone can give any recommendations.

Question: Type of work available …

Again this is vague but I worked for the Government in the UK (Department of Health) I worked for the City of Sydney out here and currently at NSW Housing. The level I was at home doesn’t warrant sponsorship so I am restricted to a lower ‘grade’ out here because of this (Visa crap) so;

Do people get ‘decent’ jobs in Canada or do employers see the Visa and are not so interested? Are you sort of forced in to bar staffing, waitering or Chalet related work?

I ask this because whilst I’m not exactly progressing my CV in Australia it is still Government based work, it still requires thought and effort and I have dipped in to different areas of this so I have gained a broader understanding of how some things work. Neither of us want to do the WHV and just come back after ‘x’ years to sit in an interview and basically say “Yeah we partied for 4 years”. We understand that if we were truly career orientated we wouldn’t go at all but we don’t want to hinder our CV’s with 1 year of working in Cafes as one example.

On this note we are not restricted to particular job areas we would just like office work for our current level not call centres or wait staff??

Question: Out here we basically had to resort to recruitment agencies for work. Is it going to be a similar set up in Canada? If so would anyone recommend any in particular.

Out here we both have been successful with Hays, Robert Walters, Quay Appointments just not sure how global they are.

Question: So maybe from someone who has lived this visa – average hourly wage?

Again generic I appreciate but I would say that in Australia for an unskilled worker looking for non-management based office work you should expect no less than $21ph but likely no more than $33 – I would say most would find $25p/h to be reasonable.

Question: Housing. As a couple (25, 27 y/o) we like our own space. We’re passed using dorms or if forced in to Hostels usually private rooms. We are extremely social (contrary to the last sentence) we just like living by our own standards. House mates out here have been a nightmare so another generic question;

How much would the rent be per week (or month) for a one bedroom flat in a city centre or it’s outskirts.

Now this may be an annoying sort of question but I’m just looking at averages right now so I can gauge an idea of cost per month and then looking at what possible jobs you state are available the wages there to have an idea of how we may live. For example – I’d say moving to Sydney you would likely average $220per week per person for rent so roughly a $1,000 bond. I’d say you could go +/- $50 on that amount as a general backpacker. This is definitely fair. We lived with 4 other people and paid $220 each and had luxury. We now live on our own and pay $275 and it’s on par but that’s in the city and a one bedroom. Just an idea of rent cost.

OK DONE

I’m sorry I very much like to have a good grasp of things long before I get on board.

Right now I’d say we average around $850 (AUD) a week. After rent, food, gym, phone credit, transport we usually have around $400 left. We stick $200 in to savings every week leaving us with $200 to spend. Some weekends consist of just the beach so the following weekend it would be $400 to spend. So often we do something ‘big’ every third week. Just wanting to try and figure out whether we’ll be able to have a similar standard of living rather than just working just to say I’ve worked in Canada?

I appreciate any advice and/or positive criticisms – we are trying to give ourselves a good 10 month of preparation on this which is exactly what we did for Australia. Our biggest downfall here was underestimating living costs. We should have waited longer and landed with more money, this would have made a huge difference.

Thank you for your time I really do appreciate it and feel free to only answer questions you feel you can rather than the whole book of questions haha

Last edited by BarrattsMini; Mar 6th 2014 at 2:01 am. Reason: Trying to make this a little easier to read
Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Experience Canada Working Visa (UK)

I should probably clarify:

LP = Lonely Planets forum 'Thorn Tree'

This is solely looking at a one year working holiday visa and no migration/citizenship

This may make the whole thing make a little more sense
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BarrattsMini
Hello all,

I have been using LP TTF for a while now but mainly flicker between the UK forums and Australia’s. It seems the Canada forum over there isn't particularly busy and I was advised to head here so sorry for a HUGE first post I'm just copying and pasting from there to here

I apologise right now as this will be lengthy. Lots of questions. We are very serious on Canada and we only missed the bloody visas this time around as we didn’t get back from our farm work until mid-January so no internet meant no chance of applying.

My girlfriend and I are currently in Sydney on our second working holiday visas. This would finalise December 2014 so we are considering this working holiday visa for 2015.

I actually signed up to the Canada International webpage to let me know when this year’s went up for ‘sale’ but never received notice – they obviously go quickly as it seems all 3 scheduled releases for the UK have gone.

Question: Assuming they do similar date slots this year round does one have to apply on that specific date aka wait until it opens and then fill out the form and submit. Or do people fill the form out in advance, have everything ready and then as soon as it goes ‘live’ spam the submit button immediately?

There was 3 openings of the UK IEC and they were gone in minutes. You have to wait until it opens before you can apply. Usually the forms aren't posted until it opens.

Question:
Does anyone have any idea how many applicants go forward from the UK per year? 5,000 is a small number and I assume the number applying is much larger. Being in Sydney it assumed I was Australian and they have over 8,000 still available. Considering the UK has probably 3 times the population and like 1/10th the size it seems a little unfair but I suppose there are reasons within immigration.

Because the UK only allows 5350 Canadians under their working holiday program. There is no quota for Australians for IEC Canada

Question: The website states $2,500 (Canadian) as a landing amount to cover the first 3 month. Is this feasible? Australia suggested $5,000 (AUD) but this is extremely conservative and by the time we found work (4-6 week) we had pretty much nothing left having paid bonds, rent, food etc. Assuming we go or get the visa what is a realistic amount?

Depends on how you live, some can make it on the $2500 others blow it in the first couple of weeks.

I mean it sounds great because it wouldn’t take much time to get that sort of money together + a cheap flight – Could be ready to fly pretty much from Australia, leads to my next question;

Question: Can we apply from Australia? The website seems to state we can apply from elsewhere and the letter of acceptance is received via e-mail?

Yes, but you put your country of residence as England and your mailing address as Australia. Don't forget you are going to require police certificates for every country where you have lived for 6 months or more. In the case of Australia, you need a traffic report as well

Question: I appreciate this may be a little silly but where would the best place be for securing office work?

In an office? One of the larger cities.

It seems a lot of folk go for the snow related work (Chalets, lift operators – whatever) but we aren’t bothered about that kind of work. We would very much be looking at probably plonking ourselves in one city for like 9-10 month to work/save and then travel around. I appreciate this would likely mean one particular city so wondering if anyone can give any recommendations.

Question: Type of work available …

Again this is vague but I worked for the Government in the UK (Department of Health) I worked for the City of Sydney out here and currently at NSW Housing. The level I was at home doesn’t warrant sponsorship so I am restricted to a lower ‘grade’ out here because of this (Visa crap) so;

Do people get ‘decent’ jobs in Canada or do employers see the Visa and are not so interested? Are you sort of forced in to bar staffing, waitering or Chalet related work?

I ask this because whilst I’m not exactly progressing my CV in Australia it is still Government based work, it still requires thought and effort and I have dipped in to different areas of this so I have gained a broader understanding of how some things work. Neither of us want to do the WHV and just come back after ‘x’ years to sit in an interview and basically say “Yeah we partied for 4 years”. We understand that if we were truly career orientated we wouldn’t go at all but we don’t want to hinder our CV’s with 1 year of working in Cafes as one example.

There are some good jobs going, but you can pretty well eliminate any Government jobs, since the usual requirement is citizenship or Permanent Residence.

On this note we are not restricted to particular job areas we would just like office work for our current level not call centres or wait staff??

Whatever you want, but there are certain jobs in the health care industry that CIC requires you have a medical.

Question: Out here we basically had to resort to recruitment agencies for work. Is it going to be a similar set up in Canada? If so would anyone recommend any in particular.

No, there are recruiters, but it in your situation it would be for office temporary work.

Out here we both have been successful with Hays, Robert Walters, Quay Appointments just not sure how global they are.

Question: So maybe from someone who has lived this visa – average hourly wage?

Anything above minimum about $11 depending on the province, BC alcohol servers $9

Again generic I appreciate but I would say that in Australia for an unskilled worker looking for non-management based office work you should expect no less than $21ph but likely no more than $33 – I would say most would find $25p/h to be reasonable.

Unlikely you will find jobs at that pay level

Question: Housing. As a couple (25, 27 y/o) we like our own space. We’re passed using dorms or if forced in to Hostels usually private rooms. We are extremely social (contrary to the last sentence) we just like living by our own standards. House mates out here have been a nightmare so another generic question;

How much would the rent be per week (or month) for a one bedroom flat in a city centre or it’s outskirts.

Check Kiiji or Craigslist for the cities you are interested in

Now this may be an annoying sort of question but I’m just looking at averages right now so I can gauge an idea of cost per month and then looking at what possible jobs you state are available the wages there to have an idea of how we may live. For example – I’d say moving to Sydney you would likely average $220per week per person for rent so roughly a $1,000 bond. I’d say you could go +/- $50 on that amount as a general backpacker. This is definitely fair. We lived with 4 other people and paid $220 each and had luxury. We now live on our own and pay $275 and it’s on par but that’s in the city and a one bedroom. Just an idea of rent cost.

OK DONE

I’m sorry I very much like to have a good grasp of things long before I get on board.

Right now I’d say we average around $850 (AUD) a week. After rent, food, gym, phone credit, transport we usually have around $400 left. We stick $200 in to savings every week leaving us with $200 to spend. Some weekends consist of just the beach so the following weekend it would be $400 to spend. So often we do something ‘big’ every third week. Just wanting to try and figure out whether we’ll be able to have a similar standard of living rather than just working just to say I’ve worked in Canada?

I appreciate any advice and/or positive criticisms – we are trying to give ourselves a good 10 month of preparation on this which is exactly what we did for Australia. Our biggest downfall here was underestimating living costs. We should have waited longer and landed with more money, this would have made a huge difference.

Thank you for your time I really do appreciate it and feel free to only answer questions you feel you can rather than the whole book of questions haha
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks,

I understand the openings are closed which is why we would be aiming for 2015.

My biggest worry really from reading odd forums is the price of rent is expensive.

and

Getting work that's not in the ski/snowboard areas.

Are there any restrictions as to how long you can be employed for? Like in Australia its 6 months in one job?

Thank you
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BarrattsMini
Thanks,

I understand the openings are closed which is why we would be aiming for 2015.

My biggest worry really from reading odd forums is the price of rent is expensive.

and

Getting work that's not in the ski/snowboard areas.

Are there any restrictions as to how long you can be employed for? Like in Australia its 6 months in one job?

Thank you
Welcome to BE!

It really depends on which Province/City/Town you move to as to the wages and cost of living. In some Cities, rental costs for a 1 bedroom apartment can be as low as $600 a month (Hamilton, for instance) - in others, you won't get a studio apartment for much less than $900. Toronto and Vancouver are very expensive, but there are plenty of places that are not.

I would suggest using www.padmapper.com and putting in various parameters for rental properties in different places so you can get an idea of costs.

As for work, it varies very much on what qualifications and experience you have and what is in demand at the time. Wages in the larger Cities tend to be higher, but then so does the cost of living. There are temp agencies that can help you with administration jobs, but be aware that they do like to see qualifications, even for an office position. If you have contact with agencies in Australia, see if they have branches in Canada that they could contact on your behalf. It's very much 'who you know' not 'what you know' in Canada, but there are jobs out there.

There are no restrictions on how long you can work for any 1 employer.

Have a look at www.workopolis.ca, www.jobbank.gc.ca and www.indeed.ca for job listings.

Edited to say, Hayes are also in Canada - so talk to your contact at the agency in Australia and get a referral! http://www.hays.ca/

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 6th 2014 at 5:05 am.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 6:03 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

IMO office work at $25 ph on an IEC visa is dreamland. Of course, someone will post that they have got a high paying job on an IEC visa but this is not the norm. I think the purpose of the visa is to give young people the chance to experience Canada, travel a bit, work a bit, and have a blast.

Lots of young people come to Vancouver on IEC visas. They work in hospitality or in the ski resorts. They earn minimum wage or close (though tips can increase this substantially), share a basement with others, drink and smoke too much, and generally have a good time.

A one bedroom rental downtown will start around $1,000 but most are more. In the suburbs you can rent a basement suite from $600 and up. Other living expenses will be similar to OZ.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:16 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
IMO office work at $25 ph on an IEC visa is dreamland. Of course, someone will post that they have got a high paying job on an IEC visa but this is not the norm. I think the purpose of the visa is to give young people the chance to experience Canada, travel a bit, work a bit, and have a blast.

Lots of young people come to Vancouver on IEC visas. They work in hospitality or in the ski resorts. They earn minimum wage or close (though tips can increase this substantially), share a basement with others, drink and smoke too much, and generally have a good
However...there are some of us on IEC (and going out to Canada) that are looking at securing employment and trying to go through the PNP/PR. At 29 my aim is not to be going out, getting drunk every night and laying in until 3pm the next afternoon.

Some people appear to do well for jobs on IEC but others take the hospitality jobs. More of a tipping culture though then Australia.

Just wondering, have you guys considered the NZ WHV?? (that was my second choice). Also did you guys do your 3 months of fruit picking work or whatever it is for Australia to get your second year out there? Or have they changed it all now?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

sazzle.pops is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
However...there are some of us on IEC (and going out to Canada) that are looking at securing employment and trying to go through the PNP/PR. At 29 my aim is not to be going out, getting drunk every night and laying in until 3pm the next afternoon.
I agree with this, I'm 30 and looking to see if Canada is the place for me, so will be having a little fun but also looking to get PNP. If Canada isn't the place for me then its off to NZ I go.

The places go very quickly, they went within 7 minutes in each round.
In looking to take a lot more with me than the $2,500.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

Originally Posted by sazzle.pops
I agree with this, I'm 30 and looking to see if Canada is the place for me, so will be having a little fun but also looking to get PNP. If Canada isn't the place for me then its off to NZ I go.

This is me also, except a little younger

The usual thing with an IEC visa is that you have a wide range of jobs to apply to - it's not tied like a LMO. Having said that the maximum you could be employed for is a year without getting another IEC visa or extending it another way. If you were an employer and someone came over with a year visa (likely less than that by the time you actually get a job), you would be wary of committing a worthwile position to them.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
This is me also, except a little younger

The usual thing with an IEC visa is that you have a wide range of jobs to apply to - it's not tied like a LMO. Having said that the maximum you could be employed for is a year without getting another IEC visa or extending it another way. If you were an employer and someone came over with a year visa (likely less than that by the time you actually get a job), you would be wary of committing a worthwile position to them.
You don't need to tell them you have a 1 year visa unless they specifically ask, they just need to know you have a work permit and a SI number. If they do specifically ask, you can explain that you can apply for a 2nd year.

Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
(likely less than that by the time you actually get a job)
The trick there is to arrive as an ordinary tourist then, when you find a job, do a run to the US border and re-enter on the IEC visa. That way you get one year + job hunting time on the first IEC visa.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey BarrattsMini,

I'll be rounding my two years on a WHV in Canada this May, and intend to do the next WHV in Oz in January 2015, so it looks like we are tag teaming this!

PMM has answered all of the yes/no admin questions so there is no point in going over those again, but I thought that I would contribute my experience with some of the more ambiguous questions...

Is CAD$2500 enough?

I arrived in Vancouver after traveling Canada and the US with about $CAD3000, ready to start my WHV. I will say that I wish I had saved more, but with this amount I managed to stay in a hostel for 2 weeks, pay my first rent + deposit, eat and have semi-decent social life. I didn't get full time employment until after three months, but before then I had some part time temp stuff that kept me going.

Best place for office work?

Like PMM said, the big cities i.e. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton & Toronto (excluding Ottawa and th QC cities assuming you don't speak French!)

Type of work available?

I can only speak for Vancouver, but I can give you some examples of what me and my friends do. I work at BC Hydro in the Properties department. Of my three roommates one is a window cleaner, one is a warehouse operative and the other is bookkeeper. Other friends have jobs in retail, childminding, event planning and a lot of them work in offices.

There is loads of different work available, however it is notoriously difficult to break into an industry in this city...so if you are looking for career related work, you might find it trickier.

Recruitment Agencies?

Pretty much all of my work has been through agencies. Some that I would recommend would be:

AppleOne
Expert Recruiters
AngusOne
Miles

Hourly wage?

In my experience, work in Vancouver pays pretty well. I am on $21 an hour, which is particularly good. However none of my friends get paid less than $15 an hour, with the average being around $18/hr.

Rent?

I've never rented as part of a couple, but just to give you some ballpark figures...

My first place was a bedroom in a three bedroom house sharing with three others (one couple)...$400/month

Right now it's the same living arrangements, the house was originally designed to accommodate to 2 people and the rent for the whole place is $1900.

Basically if you look around and are willing to hold out you can find good deals on rent.

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Lots of young people come to Vancouver on IEC visas. They work in hospitality or in the ski resorts. They earn minimum wage or close (though tips can increase this substantially), share a basement with others, drink and smoke too much, and generally have a good time.

A one bedroom rental downtown will start around $1,000 but most are more. In the suburbs you can rent a basement suite from $600 and up. Other living expenses will be similar to OZ.
Morning all (From Sydney),

So I obviously was not clear enough here.

The $25p/h average is AUD (Australian Dollar). As in, it's what I'd say we got on average out here. It is not what I would expect to earn in Canada p/h ...

As for drinking/smoke to much. It's not what we want at all. We like to socialise, mainly a Friday or Saturday night. As a couple of 5-6 years we don't want dorms or basement sharing.

I guess this is why I am posting.

Australia's visa is very open in many ways, bar the 6 month in one role - this really held us back. But everything else it was perfect for us. We have a lot of friends and have had an amazing time (so far).

It just 'feels' as though Canada's work program is a little geared towards the Snow Sports end of things. Whilst I would love to Ski nearly every day I don't want to waiter for a year or work of a similar nature as it's not going to aid my Resume

Last edited by BarrattsMini; Mar 6th 2014 at 8:22 pm. Reason: Didn't respond in full
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

Some people appear to do well for jobs on IEC but others take the hospitality jobs. More of a tipping culture though then Australia.

Just wondering, have you guys considered the NZ WHV?? (that was my second choice). Also did you guys do your 3 months of fruit picking work or whatever it is for Australia to get your second year out there? Or have they changed it all now?
Hi Becki,

Same boat then. We both want jobs that don't necessarily boost our CV's but definitely don't scream we've just been getting drunk for a year. It's unrealistic to think we will head to Canada and get fantastic jobs but I don't think it's to unrealistic to do a WHV and get a somewhat decent job maybe a step or two behind what you currently do as a 'career'

NZ is definitely an option. This is our first choice though. NZ is a lot easier to get on for definite and I've met a lot of people who managed to get similar work as we have in Australia BUT ... both are beautiful places but something draws us to Canada more!

Yes we did our 88 days.

Supposedly that is all changing as the farmers well and truly take advantage. We were effectively paid $6p/h over 60-70 hour weeks 6/7 day weeks.

I loved the work, what an experience. Weather was 35c average so that was great. Feeding cattle, sheep, mustering, droving, hunting - right up my street but the pay is unforgivable. We were lucky - I've only met one other person who got paid, all the rest volunteered because the farms say they cannot afford to pay. Which is BS. I can give evidence to such a statement but it would go very much off topic lol ...
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sazzle.pops

What is PnP?

7 minutes? That's insane!?

Our visa out here expires Dec 14 2014 but we will likely be in Fiji/Bali at the time hoping to be home for Xmas.

So we are hoping that when they open up we will be available to apply this time around but 7 minutes is a little intense.

Can you sign up through BUNAC or other such websites to hopefully increase your chances of getting a visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.