Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Experience Canada Working Visa (UK)

Experience Canada Working Visa (UK)

Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

BarrattsMini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experience Canada Working Visa (UK)

Originally Posted by MrFloyd View Post
This is me also, except a little younger

The usual thing with an IEC visa is that you have a wide range of jobs to apply to - it's not tied like a LMO. Having said that the maximum you could be employed for is a year without getting another IEC visa or extending it another way. If you were an employer and someone came over with a year visa (likely less than that by the time you actually get a job), you would be wary of committing a worthwile position to them.
Agree completely ...

Here in Australia you are restricted to 6 month which is even worse.

I mean we have been in Sydney now 15 month. We will stay here until October and then travel for 2 months so realistically we will have done 21 months in the same place. I could have committed nearly 2 solid years to one role but obviously not the case.

A big draw back for anyone on a visa is they may just up and leave regardless of what they say in an interview. We signed up for 6 month leases at a time to try and prove our commitment. It has worked. My first job for the City of Sydney was 6 month and I now work for AWI on a 6 month contract ...
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mazmataz View Post
Hey BarrattsMini,

I'll be rounding my two years on a WHV in Canada this May, and intend to do the next WHV in Oz in January 2015, so it looks like we are tag teaming this!

PMM has answered all of the yes/no admin questions so there is no point in going over those again, but I thought that I would contribute my experience with some of the more ambiguous questions...

Is CAD$2500 enough?

I arrived in Vancouver after traveling Canada and the US with about $CAD3000, ready to start my WHV. I will say that I wish I had saved more, but with this amount I managed to stay in a hostel for 2 weeks, pay my first rent + deposit, eat and have semi-decent social life. I didn't get full time employment until after three months, but before then I had some part time temp stuff that kept me going.

Best place for office work?

Like PMM said, the big cities i.e. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton & Toronto (excluding Ottawa and th QC cities assuming you don't speak French!)

Type of work available?

I can only speak for Vancouver, but I can give you some examples of what me and my friends do. I work at BC Hydro in the Properties department. Of my three roommates one is a window cleaner, one is a warehouse operative and the other is bookkeeper. Other friends have jobs in retail, childminding, event planning and a lot of them work in offices.

There is loads of different work available, however it is notoriously difficult to break into an industry in this city...so if you are looking for career related work, you might find it trickier.

Recruitment Agencies?

Pretty much all of my work has been through agencies. Some that I would recommend would be:

AppleOne
Expert Recruiters
AngusOne
Miles

Hourly wage?

In my experience, work in Vancouver pays pretty well. I am on $21 an hour, which is particularly good. However none of my friends get paid less than $15 an hour, with the average being around $18/hr.

Rent?

I've never rented as part of a couple, but just to give you some ballpark figures...

My first place was a bedroom in a three bedroom house sharing with three others (one couple)...$400/month

Right now it's the same living arrangements, the house was originally designed to accommodate to 2 people and the rent for the whole place is $1900.

Basically if you look around and are willing to hold out you can find good deals on rent.

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!
Hi,

Good Morning!!

Very useful information.

So, as another poster stated can one actually enter Canada as a tourist, head to a city and job hunt and then border run to start the IEC? Is that basically what you did?

Assuming we head home for Xmas and assuming we both land a visa - I think we'd look at going with around 3,000GBP and likely no later than March.

Any preference on the better city?

I think I would always advise people on either Sydney or Brisbane. The latter as the weather is consistently better but Sydney is beautiful.

We would really be looking at office based work - wouldn't really matter what company but committing a good 10 month I would think before likely wanting to travel

So rent ... we'd really be looking for a one bedroom together. Is this unrealistic? Our time apartment sharing has not been great. So many lazy, selfish, dirty people. We just like our own space

If you have any Oz related questions do not hesitate to ask - We've done a lot!!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 9:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to hostels:

I've been to oz and I agree they are horrendous (at least in 2009/2010 they were) , I have been presently surprised at how much nicer they are in North America...they are not IMO in the same league.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo View Post
In regards to hostels:

I've been to oz and I agree they are horrendous (at least in 2009/2010 they were) , I have been presently surprised at how much nicer they are in North America...they are not IMO in the same league.
We would have been happy to take on hostels here with Private Rooms but they were generally $100 a night (in a decent hostel) and we could get rooms elsewhere for that generally quieter, cleaner and with breakfast so didn’t see the point.

For some it’s an easy way to make friends. We knew people out here already and were confident we’d mix with their friends and make our own through work or whatever – and we were right.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

sazzle.pops is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BarrattsMini View Post
What is PnP?

7 minutes? That's insane!?

Our visa out here expires Dec 14 2014 but we will likely be in Fiji/Bali at the time hoping to be home for Xmas.

So we are hoping that when they open up we will be available to apply this time around but 7 minutes is a little intense.

Can you sign up through BUNAC or other such websites to hopefully increase your chances of getting a visa?
Yeah, I missed the first 2 rounds and applied in the last, it took me 6.5 minutes to create my Kompas account submit my application and I was number 5067 of 5350.

No idea is using BUNAC increases your chances.

PNP is Provincial Nominee Program there's loads on the wiki about it here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Provin...Program-Canada that's if I cannot get a job offer as a Federal skilled worker
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Can you sign up through BUNAC or other such websites to hopefully increase your chances of getting a visa?
No, makes no difference, they're still getting the visas from the same quota.

HTH.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
No, makes no difference, they're still getting the visas from the same quota.

HTH.
Thanks all.

We are going to do some reading in to it over a few forums and websites and chat with a few of the companies such as BUNAC, just to see what work they offer.

Like I stated it seems to focus primarily on the snow sports work and we have little desire to do that.

We have plenty of time before the flood gates re-open and we really want to feel confident in knowing we can secure office work before we go spending any money
Old Mar 10th 2014, 7:18 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

We are going to do some reading in to it over a few forums and websites and chat with a few of the companies such as BUNAC, just to see what work they offer.

Like I stated it seems to focus primarily on the snow sports work and we have little desire to do that.

We have plenty of time before the flood gates re-open and we really want to feel confident in knowing we can secure office work before we go spending any money
I think BUNAC is more the hospitality jobs (hotels, bars etc)

If it's only office work you want then need to look at recruitment agencies more I would have thought.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea but from what I understand, it is not permitted to seek employment if you enter on a tourist visa. As such, I think you could be sent back if they discover your cv, certificates and other docs. Might be a very low risk but I think it is worth mentioning

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
The trick there is to arrive as an ordinary tourist then, when you find a job, do a run to the US border and re-enter on the IEC visa. That way you get one year + job hunting time on the first IEC visa.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer View Post
Good idea but from what I understand, it is not permitted to seek employment if you enter on a tourist visa. As such, I think you could be sent back if they discover your cv, certificates and other docs. Might be a very low risk but I think it is worth mentioning
There is no "law" that you can't look for a job, it is just that you can't start working until you have a work permit.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 5:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer View Post
All you need to do is explain to the CBA officer, on entry, that you have an IEC LOI and that you want to look for a job before activating it to give you a full year of working.

You have to be honest with the CBA officer or else you may be refused on the grounds of dishonesty.

Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
All you need to do is explain to the CBA officer, on entry, that you have an IEC LOI and that you want to look for a job before activating it to give you a full year of working.

You have to be honest with the CBA officer or else you may be refused on the grounds of dishonesty.

If this truly is OK it seems the best way to about it.

Sometimes getting on to agency books can be a nightmare. I think it took me around 4-6 weeks here in Sydney so that's just loss of potential earning time.

Assuming we have the cash to cover a month of job hunting I'm sure agencies would understand.