Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Expected cost of utilities and cell deposits

Expected cost of utilities and cell deposits

Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:21 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold
Default Expected cost of utilities and cell deposits

Hi

How much should I budget for for gas, electricity and cell deposits in Regina SK. Saskpower

Regards

John
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expected cost of utilities and cell deposits

I would be interested in the answer to this as well, for BC-Hydro, Fortis gas, Telus internet/phone/Optik telly.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
I would be interested in the answer to this as well, for BC-Hydro, Fortis gas, Telus internet/phone/Optik telly.
Depends on what size your housing is for electric.

We have a 2 bedroom apartment, 2 people, LED lighting, no en-suite laundry, but we do pay for hot water, and Hydro is about 22 a month right now, but we haven't had to use the electric heat, runs about 30 a month with heat being used. (like most condo/apartments buildings, everything is electric so no gas bills.)

Not sure about Telus as we don't use them, but Shaw, internet/phone/cable is about 90 a month. My partner had them when I moved in, I'd cut the phone and cable but she wont let me....

I pay 35 a month with Virgin for my cell phone. (200 minutes daytime, unlimited night/weekend, unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited texting including international.)
Old Jan 25th 2014, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The question was about deposits for newcomers, not actual bills and usage...
Old Jan 25th 2014, 12:07 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold

Yes, security deposits, from a bit of research saskpower can charge up to 15% of an expected annual bill so if you assume an annualised 100 per month = 1200 a deposit upto 180 dollars. But I still don't know if thats typical, always or rarely. Remember this is a crown corporation so some comments elsewhere state deposit unlikely unless you have previous bad history or actual negative credit rating.

Last edited by jwtimmon; Jan 25th 2014 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The question was about deposits for newcomers, not actual bills and usage...
Oops, sorry. Can't help there, when I first moved here in 2004, nobody wanted deposits, but things may have changed.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

dlparry is an unknown quantity at this point

sasktel usually get you to sign a 3 year contract and if your not bothered about having the latest iphone you can get an older model for free, if you want a second phone they may ask for 500 dollars which they will hold for 6 months and after that you can request it back - if you have it as a credit on your account its pretty instant but if you request a cheque for the money it can take some time!!!!
saskpower and sask energy dont require deposits to start with and you pay your bills monthly, if you budget 100 dollars month for each you wont be too far wrong (this is based on a medium 3 bed property), water is metered too and again budget 100 for this (ours was usually between 65-85 for a family of three), all charge standing charges (which are in the region of 25 dollars each) - my gas bills were approximately 35 dollars in the summer months and my last winter gas bill was 180! we put the same away each month to cover for this tho!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:22 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on SK but in BC $100 deposit for Rogers cell contact get it back after 6 months. BC hydro didn't want a deposit as they rated out current rental as being a low use property. I'd assume as a newcomer and if you have a reasonable sized property they want a security deposit of $100-200
For power and cell phone I think would depend on provider as I hear Bell require up to $200 down as a deposit.

Just another think to mention is with your banking is do some research I'm with RBC and they want $1000 deposit for a credit card. I declined and I will work on my credit rating here and get a card elsewhere
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:29 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of BC Hydro and Terasen Gas (albeit a few years ago now, in 2005) is that the size of deposit is associated with previous use. I purchased a property that had commercial (farm) and residential status. Both utility providers wanted $2,000 each for an initial deposit. That stung a little. It was refunded (actually applied to my account as a credit, not returned as cash) after 24 months.

Last edited by R I C H; Jan 31st 2014 at 4:33 am.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:38 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Just another quick note I was advised by best but where are purchased my cell that Rogers, Telus etc don't automatically give you back your deposit you have to request it.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:28 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwtimmon
Hi

How much should I budget for for gas, electricity and cell deposits in Regina SK. Saskpower

Regards

John
I was in Saskatoon for 3 years left in December 2013. I lived in a 1000 sqft home fitted with new high efficiency furnace & water tank system:

Gas (heating and water heating) $60/month on equalized payments.
Electricity (lighting/cooking +all appliances): $70-90 depending on month
Other utilities (water, sewerage & recycling): $45/month

Don't know about cell phones, I use a PAYG mobile.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:41 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Can't comment on SK but in BC $100 deposit for Rogers cell contact get it back after 6 months. BC hydro didn't want a deposit as they rated out current rental as being a low use property. I'd assume as a newcomer and if you have a reasonable sized property they want a security deposit of $100-200
For power and cell phone I think would depend on provider as I hear Bell require up to $200 down as a deposit.

Just another think to mention is with your banking is do some research I'm with RBC and they want $1000 deposit for a credit card. I declined and I will work on my credit rating here and get a card elsewhere
We've just moved to Ontario, and set all of these things up, cell, hydro, credit card etc, no one has even mentioned deposits...
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
We arrived last May and both got credit cards with RBC without needing to put down any deposit...