Reload this Page >

References/Deposits etc...

References/Deposits etc...

Old Feb 1st 2014, 5:57 am
Just Joined

YEGBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default References/Deposits etc...

Hi again...

I just hoped to get a little advice regarding newcomers looking to rent straight away. I'm arriving in May and Ive never leased a property in the UK as my parents are landlords themselves, therefore I am unable to bring a landlords reference. I will have all the money needed but will this be enough?

Or should I start looking for a house share now?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: References/Deposits etc...

You can never start looking too early, although this early that might only find you good areas or good places to look for adverts. Tenancies tend to start 1st or 15th of month, so just after those dates will see the bulk of adverts get published, as the current tenant will have just handed his notice in.

Have a you a job already lined up? If so, get a copy of your job offer and give the HR dept as a reference.

We didn't need a Reference for your first rental (indeed we arrived when our Landlord was on holiday, so didn't even pay any rent until we had been here for a week, but don't expect the same treatment!!)

We used this Landlord as our next Reference, along with the boss at work etc.

Also, bank statements, maybe some references from your current UK employer (if they know you are going...?)

Canadian landlords are not as strict with References as UK ones are. A phone call is probably all it takes.

Last edited by withabix; Feb 1st 2014 at 2:44 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:08 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need references for a house share usually?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

I have a job lined up so hopefully an employers reference may suffice. I just want to get into some fixed accomodation asap so I dont waste money on hotels. I didnt known about the 1st & 15th date thing so thats interesting. Im arriving on the 2nd so will i not be able to rent a property until the 15th?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Do you need references for a house share usually?
Not in the UK. Im hoping a house share is my gauranteed way of finding accomodation for a little while if needs be
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YEGBrit
I have a job lined up so hopefully an employers reference may suffice. I just want to get into some fixed accomodation asap so I dont waste money on hotels. I didnt known about the 1st & 15th date thing so thats interesting. Im arriving on the 2nd so will i not be able to rent a property until the 15th?
Where are you moving to? the 1st and 15th thing is not the case everywhere.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:52 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Where are you moving to? the 1st and 15th thing is not the case everywhere.
Exactly. I rent property from the 1st of the month to month end.

I wouldn't take on a tenant without a reference of some sort.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:08 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not in the UK. Im hoping a house share is my gauranteed way of finding accomodation for a little while if needs be
I meant in Canada, I've rented loads of rooms in UK and know they are not too bothered as long as you are working
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Moving to Edmonton. When you say of some sort, as a landlord, what would be your minimum requirement? I have a decent wedge of cash to move with. Just paper work seems to be the problem
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Edmonton. When you say of some sort, as a landlord, what would be your minimum requirement? I have a decent wedge of cash to move with. Just paper work seems to be the problem
I'd want to know that you can afford the rent, so proof of income/job. I'd also like a reference from previous tenancy if possible. If you've not rented before, then a professional reference would help. Ultimately I'm going to meet you and judge your character for myself against other applicants I decide to meet.

You have to understand that in a strong rental market, where applicants exceed properties the better armed that you are to prove to me you're the right choice as a tenant, the stronger position you'll be in. Last time I advertised a property, I had over 60 applicants.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:19 pm
Bex in the city

I have a decent wedge of cash to move with. Just paper work seems to be the problem
I think the minimum is first and last months rent if your working

Is the any one on here who knows about room shares? I'll have a reference from my current landlady and will have plenty of money but will not have a job straight away as on an IEC visa.

I prefer a written agreement as well as it's safer for all concerned - I've always asked for and accepted them with room rentals in the UK and I am hoping it's the same in Canada
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I think the minimum is first and last months rent if your working
The MAXIMUM deposit a Landlord can take in BC in 1/2 a month's rent, plus another half a month's rent if you have a pet.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:57 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by withabix
The MAXIMUM deposit a Landlord can take in BC in 1/2 a month's rent, plus another half a month's rent if you have a pet.
It's actually a whole months rent upfront, plus half a months rent as a security/damage deposit, plus a further half month in addition for a pet deposit. So, in total, a tenant may have to hand over 2 months rent upon signing a rental agreement.

As per standard BC Tenancy Act agreement: http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/rtb-1.pdf
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The OP is moving to Alberta where this may well be different.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's actually a whole months rent upfront, plus half a months rent as a security/damage deposit, plus a further half month in addition for a pet deposit. So, in total, a tenant may have to hand over 2 months rent upon signing a rental agreement.

As per standard BC Tenancy Act agreement: http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/rtb-1.pdf
Exactly what I said. Half a month's rent as deposit.

The month's rent up front is rent.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
The OP is moving to Alberta where this may well be different.
Oh yeah...could have sworn they said BC. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.