Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

http://www.ex-pat.tv/packages.php

Anybody had experience with this? Don't mind paying for it if its any good...

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by DandNHill

Thanks
I cant help you as i've never seen it, but what an amazing idea! I think i'll deffo get this for when we go out next month!
Thankyou for the link!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:13 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Why not just get a VPN/DNS such as unotelly and watch via the players? Much cheaper.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Lemony Snicket is an unknown quantity at this point

Ex Pat Shield works for me and its free! Sometimes it gets a few lumps in it when watching TV live, but, if you use the iplayer downloader, you can download shows when you're in no rush and then watch them at your leisure - even off line. The only downside to the iplayer desktop thinggy is that they only let you hold on to the download for a specified length of time ( usually 1 week to 1 month) and then it kind of self destructs. I have been trying different ways to simply remove the time constraints from these, but since I'm not a techie, all the options seem too "deep" for me, so I just watch them when I can. Anyways, something for you to think about!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I think it looks brilliant! As one who signed up for Rogers and have to endure rubbish television and limited broadband and am tied to their contract for another 18 months (yes all my own fault!) I think it seems super, because it isn't dependent on my Internet. The Bell Aliant contract is a serious financial undertaking and I still get rubbish channels, just the better internet which would
allow me to watch Netflix.....which I wouldn't want if I just had some watchable stations.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Why not just get a VPN/DNS such as unotelly and watch via the players? Much cheaper.
Excuse the silly question but what do you have to do to set up VPN/DNS and which channels can you get through this route?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 8:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Living in this part of Canada is probably more conducive to watching live UK TV than most of the rest of the country, the time difference normally meaning we're 4 hours behind.

For Saturday football, the lunchtime game is at breakfast here, rather than 5 or 6 am. But it's on Canadian TV anyway.

Through the week, anything on between 9.00pm and midnight UK time is between 5.00 and 8.00pm here and further West overlaps the afternoon which is not good for those working.

One really needs to see if live UK TV will suit and if not, then what is next best. Everyone has their favourites and some require more expensive equipment, better internet or subscriptions to possibly fly-by-night outfits.

There are several websites giving access to a wide range of movies and TV series of very good quality, completely free and watching the main UK channels live is often possible anyway.

For example, on weekends I watch Match of the Day live. Channel 4 has been showing a brilliant serial - Utopia - on Tuesdays between 10 and 11pm. It has usually been available for watching (or downloading for viewing later) within 3 hours of finishing and that means being able to watch it at pretty much the same local time as it was shown.

I did the same with the second series of The Hour - although I've not seen it yet.

US TV (on channels you might not have) that crosses the Atlantic, such as Homeland is also available, so you can watch those before they are shown in the UK.

All without commercials too.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

DizzyLizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

We subscribe to something called the Box it is free but you have to have an invitation to it, we then download all the stuff we want to watch, you have to file share to keep up your ratio but it is BRILLIANT!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
These things are illegal as they do not have permission of the original broadcaster, so you pays your money and then do not complain when it just stops without warning.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I was only asking as it came up as a banner at the top of BEs...

I've been watching Hulu when my Internet connection allows it... Being on a rural network with an aerial means it lags a lot
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MillieF
I think it looks brilliant! As one who signed up for Rogers and have to endure rubbish television and limited broadband and am tied to their contract for another 18 months (yes all my own fault!) I think it seems super, because it isn't dependent on my Internet. The Bell Aliant contract is a serious financial undertaking and I still get rubbish channels, just the better internet which would
allow me to watch Netflix.....which I wouldn't want if I just had some watchable stations.
It is dependent on your internet. You need a broadband connection for this service.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

If you use a VPN provider (I use Witopia) it allows you to use the services that are available to an ip address in the country you are looking at.

Witopia allows you to switch between locations at the click of a button - if I want to watch Iplayer, 4OD or tvcatchup, I just select manchester or london. If I want to watch US Netflix, I just click on a US city and it allows me to watch the US content. You can run this service on multiple devices too - last week I had the Man Utd vs Real Madrid game running on my phone via TVCatchup while I was at work.

it works out at $49 dollars a year I think and you aren't restricted to just the selection of TV channels that the link above shows (Which are available through the TV Catchup Website anyway).
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Firefox's 'Stealthy' is another option for disguising location. It's yet to do anything for me but others have used it successfully.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Firefox's 'Stealthy' is another option for disguising location. It's yet to do anything for me but others have used it successfully.
I tried that but percsonally found it a bit flakey for streaming TV. Worth a go though.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:18 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DizzyLizzy
We subscribe to something called the Box it is free but you have to have an invitation to it, we then download all the stuff we want to watch, you have to file share to keep up your ratio but it is BRILLIANT!
I've been on thebox.bz for quite some time and agree it's pretty good. You can pay to have a specific number of GB added to your account, which means you don't have to seed back so much to keep the ratio up, and for some older shows you might not get them seeded back.

I'm rather interested in exactly how this expat tv box works. guessing it is perhaps some hardware VPN type thing?

If you're going the VPN route and have a look at TunnelBear (I'm a big softie for bear related things and really like their logo). It is really rather good. Basically if you flick the UK switch, it'll make things thing you are in the UK, so if you use iPlayer and other things that check your location, they will think you are in the UK and work.
They also have options for the US and now Canada. The last one might sound odd, but you may have reasons to want a bit more privacy even though you are in Canada (ok, ok, so you want to download a movie and don't want to get in trouble for it, there, I said it, you want to be a pirate, arrrrrgggghhh! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.