Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:51 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by airbornesapper

Anyone in the Fredericton area tried over-the-air HDTV...using modern rabbit-ears?

AS
I haven't ....but would be more than happy to give it a try. I tried to buy modern rabbit ears from The Source but they didn't have them. A man in a big truck that I spoke to the other day had all sorts of tv stations that he got for free from an arial on the roof of his cab. I am not so sure however, that anything they might give me free, is anything that might be worth watching.

I am not 'particularly' thick, but I really am not at my best with the subject of telly. I have paid for this stupid package that I am shackled to for the next 18 months, I have hundreds of stations that I have no intention of looking at as they are dreadful, hence, we never turn the tv on. I pay for the overseas iplayer for the iPad, and then stick a line from that to the TV so the picture is large. I think I pay 7$ a month for that, and it's good for things like Stig of the Dump and The Sarah Jayne Adventures for my son, but I'm not really into the series so much. I find children's TV here to be not so great, and heavily reliant on Manga type cartoons. . I would just like to, occasionally, watch something decent without it being an adventure. I'm not terribly tech savvy and frankly can't be bothered mostly. I just want to put my finger on a button and see something watchable! Yes I loved Downton Abbey on PBS...but that was more of an oasis in the desert rather than entertainment.

Yes....I wanted to live in Canada, and mostly I enjoy it, but I'd be prepared to buy Sputnik if it would just get me something viewable.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Think i may have used that a few years ago...and some others i know did as well - got some pretty awful virus's thereafter

vpn $100 for the year - watch iplayer bbc, etc.... then IF there is anything worthwhile on Canadian TV - i watch CTV online
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I pay for the overseas iplayer for the iPad, and then stick a line from that to the TV so the picture is large.
Doesn't that make quite a bit available to you? The Hour for example?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

I`m gonna have to get this VPN thing figured, I assume the settings to do so must be put into the router?

Has anyone tried using Skys new online offering: http://www.nowtv.com/land

Or what about Eurosport? http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk

Theres lots of bike racing on there - I like bike racing

Last edited by energysolutions; Mar 13th 2013 at 11:39 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
I`m gonna have to get this VPN thing figured, I assume the settings to do so must be put into the router?

Has anyone tried using Skys new online offering: http://www.nowtv.com/land

Or what about Eurosport? http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk

Theres lots of bike racing on there - I like bike racing
Way easier than that...with no programs needed either (although I do run hotspotshield or expatshield as applicable/needed as a backup..)...quite simply the dogs.....

Hotspotshield used continuously on the road...for security reasons also...

AS
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof2
Think i may have used that a few years ago...and some others i know did as well - got some pretty awful virus's thereafter

vpn $100 for the year - watch iplayer bbc, etc.... then IF there is anything worthwhile on Canadian TV - i watch CTV online
I am not sure what you got your virus from - was it a particular site you used ?

I can watch almost anything I want from the uk through the internet but there is some messing around you have to do as the channels are changing all the time - No point in me sticking my links up as some of them are shut down within a day or so
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

I find unblock-us and a combination of Get iPlayer Automator, Hulu Plus, iPlayer, ITV Catch-Up, 4oD and Demand 5 meets the need. That said, you need a decent internet package, I have been known to get through 20GB streaming Hulu Plus in 720p all day
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Presumably the websites are the ones that do the fooling.

Many of the sites that are used for streaming live football (when not on Canadian TV) have buttons at the top marked TV. The main BBC/ITV/C4/C5 ones are often there...not always working, granted, but they are there.

I think you're familiar with firstrow and ATDee. They both have them.

When I have put a little extra effort in I have succeeded with live coverage of Glastonbury, the summer riots, Olympics and England games when on ITV if only for "build up"

On the other hand, Firefox 'Stealthy' and things like it have never done a thing for me.
Which are the Canadian channels for watching British football? Do you need to subscribe to special packages or are they a minority interest and come as standard?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

BBC...all channels...watch live or drag the slider to restart/play-on demand....Nice..

See screen shot...

AS
Attached Thumbnails Expat tv.... Any thoughts?-bbc-screen-shot.png  
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BBC news channel.....using BBC as an example because ITV watched live has never been a problem...
Attached Thumbnails Expat tv.... Any thoughts?-bbc-news-channel.png  
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
Which are the Canadian channels for watching British football? Do you need to subscribe to special packages or are they a minority interest and come as standard?
TSN and Rogers Sportsnet.

It depends on the provider and package.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
TSN and Rogers Sportsnet.

It depends on the provider and package.
Thanks for the responses.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how to watch UK stuff on Windows 8?
I've had no luck with the free version of hotspot shield or expat shield (I used to use this on XP and Windows 7 without a problem).