Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exit tax when leaving Canada

Exit tax when leaving Canada

Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

pquick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exit tax when leaving Canada

Daisymoll...hello...we too are returning to uk, after living in Hamilton 9 years.
Could youtell me if you had to pay an exit tax when you sold your home? . We have been told it is 25%. Which would mean we get back less than we paid
Old Jun 28th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada

Originally Posted by pquick
Daisymoll...hello...we too are returning to uk, after living in Hamilton 9 years.
Could youtell me if you had to pay an exit tax when you sold your home? . We have been told it is 25%. Which would mean we get back less than we paid
If it is your main residence you do not pay. However if you own property anywhere else in world or have assets worldwide then at the time you leave Canada you will have to pay capital gains tax as you deem to have sold all your assets worldwide. We used an accountant to do our final exit and she helped us with forms and the capital gains tax.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks feelbritish. I have a house I rent out in uk. I had it valued when I moved here and have the paperwork, but it is of less value now!! Should I have it revalued now, and hope CRA will accept the figures?
Will i pay CGT on the extra money I transfer into uk from the house sale here?
Thank you for your help....I panicked when i read what I did,,,,,thought it would be so easy to return, as coming to canada was the worst thing I ever did!
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks feelbritish. I have a house I rent out in uk. I had it valued when I moved here and have the paperwork, but it is of less value now!! Should I have it revalued now, and hope CRA will accept the figures?
Will i pay CGT on the extra money I transfer into uk from the house sale here?
Thank you for your help....I panicked when i read what I did,,,,,thought it would be so easy to return, as coming to canada was the worst thing I ever did!
Hi yes get a valuation from an estate agent on their letterhead. CRA will accept that and work out how much it has increased/decreased and also you can take into account agent's selling fees and any other work you have to do in order to "hypothetically" sell. If you have a gain you then only pay a percentage of the gain, I think 50% and you also pay only what your tax rate is. If it is decresed then you can take that loss off your final tax statement. I cannot imagine any property loosing value in UK? It is complicated and may be worth getting an accountant or someone who knows what they are doing to help you.

It was the best thing we did keeping our house and renting it out because in the end we moved back there and prices went up and we would not have been able to afford to buy here had we wanted to come back to the same area.

BTW sorry you think it was the worse thing you did moving to Canada because that just adds to your impressions of the country whereas it could have been a good experience.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 5:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Exit tax when leaving Canada

Moved your query and replies to the relevant forum. Useful info that would be lost for others.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 5:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Exit tax when leaving Canada

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle22032765/

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...emigrants.html

If you have significant assets, here and overseas (incl the UK), best to hire an accountant and plan your departure before leaving Canada. Otherwise it could be very expensive.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Exit tax when leaving Canada

Could any returnees to uk advise me on international moving companies used and associated costs.
Also any returning advice would be helpful.......as anxious about getting it right to return as I was when I came here. Dont want to say. Oh heck!! Should of done that !!
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Could any returnees to uk advise me on international moving companies used and associated costs.
Also any returning advice would be helpful.......as anxious about getting it right to return as I was when I came here. Dont want to say. Oh heck!! Should of done that !!
Try the Moving Back to the UK thread.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

we are also in the process of moving back. Using a company called Brytor out of Mississauga for shipping, they seem to have the best deal.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-property.html

If your property has gone down in value, obviously there is no capital gain.