Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Originally Posted by Paz7
When you say 'exchange' UK licence for Canadian - do they literally take your UK licence for good?
Sounds like I'd have an issue if I ever wanted to drive in the UK again (as I visited etc?!).
Yup they take your UK licence. If going back to the UK for a visit you would drive on your Canadian provincial licence. If going back to live in the UK permanently then you just change over the Canadian one for the UK.

I think the Uk has accepted that all Canadians don't drive sled dog teams and are capable of driving a car etc so when Canadians pop over to visit they are allowed to rent a vehicle based on them having a driving licence.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Paz7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yup they take your UK licence. If going back to the UK for a visit you would drive on your Canadian provincial licence. If going back to live in the UK permanently then you just change over the Canadian one for the UK.

I think the Uk has accepted that all Canadians don't drive sled dog teams and are capable of driving a car etc so when Canadians pop over to visit they are allowed to rent a vehicle based on them having a driving licence.
- got it, thanks!
Old Dec 24th 2016, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

OK - last question on this subject, do you have to bring photos of yourself to a stated specification?

It's just that it says nothing about this on the Services Ontario website when exchanging licences - it might be a 'well obviously', but they don't seem to ask for it, so perhaps in this day and age they have those new fangled digital cameras there??
Old Dec 24th 2016, 10:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
OK - last question on this subject, do you have to bring photos of yourself to a stated specification?

It's just that it says nothing about this on the Services Ontario website when exchanging licences - it might be a 'well obviously', but they don't seem to ask for it, so perhaps in this day and age they have those new fangled digital cameras there??
Photos are taken when you are there.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Photos are taken when you are there.
No need to bring photos for drivers license - mug shots done at the time of application (Ontario)
Old Dec 24th 2016, 12:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatdad
hey there. When you go to the driving Centre they will give you a paper Licence until your new one arrives in post. You don't have to resit a driving test. You will have to have an eye test at the centre. very straightforward. Trouble is your uk licence is gone so when your back home you use your Canadian one. Expect vehicle insurance to be high. They class you as new driver. Bummer.
What's bum about that is that it's completely untrue.

If you're visiting the UK you can rent a car and drive it on your provincial license.

If you're returning permanently you swap your Cdn license for a new edition of your old UK license (no charge). Insurance premiums are no different from whatever you would have to pay if you'd never left and if you bring proof of your insurance record from Canada back with you, those years will also be reckoned into the NCB.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 4:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Expect vehicle insurance to be high. They class you as new driver. Bummer.
If you have proof of driving and claims history, it makes no difference, one is not classed as a new driver at all.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 4:30 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

hey there. When you go to the driving Centre they will give you a paper Licence until your new one arrives in post. You don't have to resit a driving test. You will have to have an eye test at the centre. very straightforward. Trouble is your uk licence is gone so when your back home you use your Canadian one. Expect vehicle insurance to be high. They class you as new driver. Bummer.
You are absolutely NOT treated as a new driver just because you have a Canadian Provincial licence. If you can provide a full licence you will pay the same rental rates as anyone else.

And what's with the "back home"? For me, back home my BC licence works just fine - bearing in mind that's where I live.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 6:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone has the wrong end of the stick.

Perhaps this would help.. I believe this is what fatdad meant

"Expect vehicle insurance to be high (in Canada). They class you as new driver (in Canada). Bummer"

Old Dec 24th 2016, 7:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think everyone has the wrong end of the stick.

Perhaps this would help.. I believe this is what fatdad meant

"Expect vehicle insurance to be high (in Canada). They class you as new driver (in Canada). Bummer"

I got that, but that is not the case for most people. So long as they have a driving history and proof of no claims, then the same discounts apply to everyone. I got 43% discount the first week of arriving. Where UK drivers are at a disadvantage (in BC anyway) is with private insurers for the add ons that require 10+ years NA driving experience, not just 10 years experience.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I got that, but that is not the case for most people. So long as they have a driving history and proof of no claims, then the same discounts apply to everyone. I got 43% discount the first week of arriving. Where UK drivers are at a disadvantage (in BC anyway) is with private insurers for the add ons that require 10+ years NA driving experience, not just 10 years experience.

Definitely not the case in Manitoba - NCD was not recognized in anyway at all - insurance was rediculous

We had a better experience when we moved to Ontario and could shop around but still comparatively higher premiums
Old Dec 25th 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Definitely not the case in Manitoba - NCD was not recognized in anyway at all - insurance was rediculous

We had a better experience when we moved to Ontario and could shop around but still comparatively higher premiums
It is not a No Claims Discount, it is a no claims history. If you can prove a history of no claims you get the discount. MB is similar to BC.

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/PDFs/Request...ms-History.pdf
Old Dec 25th 2016, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is not a No Claims Discount, it is a no claims history. If you can prove a history of no claims you get the discount. MB is similar to BC.

Its a no claims discount in UK - and the NCD is not recognized Holy Crap - And for me it was not recognized in Manitoba - I know because it didnt F ing get it.

Why do people argue personal circumstamses?
Old Dec 25th 2016, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its a no claims discount in UK - and the NCD is not recognized Holy Crap - And for me it was not recognized in Manitoba - I know because it didnt F ing get it.

Why do people argue personal circumstances?
Old Dec 25th 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by J-A-UK

Why do people argue personal circumstances?
Everyone's personal circumstances are different, but it is Claims History (here and in the UK), which if you qualify you get a 'no claims discount' or 'no claims bonus' (in the UK) as a result of your claims history. Manitoba do offer a claims related discount to new arrivals, if the new arrival can prove their claims history (or loading if claims history is bad).

I have no idea about your circumstances, but it puzzles me also why some people believe their experience applies universally and to the system as a whole, based solely on their own experience. Especially when the information given by the provider indicates otherwise.

Read the link from MPI, new arrivals are able to qualify for a discount, provided they have the correct information.

Because a 'no claims discount' can be insured in itself, this is not accepted anymore (it used to be). Insurers require evidence of claims history, not evidence of a No Claims Discount.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 25th 2016 at 11:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.