Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

I have read up on this, especially the Services Ontario site which is all very clear.

I can see that as long as we bring the right documents to one of the specified SO centres, we should be fine for a straight swap (both driving for over 30 years etc.).

My question is, do they issue you with a new Ontario licence there and then, or is it prepared and mailed in a few days? If it is mailed, I assume they give you some proof that you are licenced to drive in the meantime?
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I have read up on this, especially the Services Ontario site which is all very clear.

I can see that as long as we bring the right documents to one of the specified SO centres, we should be fine for a straight swap (both driving for over 30 years etc.).

My question is, do they issue you with a new Ontario licence there and then, or is it prepared and mailed in a few days? If it is mailed, I assume they give you some proof that you are licenced to drive in the meantime?
Most provinces issue a temporary paper licence until the new plastic wallet sized with photo on it is mailed out.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Most provinces issue a temporary paper licence until the new plastic wallet sized with photo on it is mailed out.
Ah - OK. Great thanks. Just wanted to know what to expect......

Planning all of my 'first week' activities and didn't want to get into a 'deadly embrace' with car purchase / rental vs licence exchange!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have proof of residency in the form of a Canadian Visa. They would not issue us with a DL without it. As FL said you will get a temp. paper license to use until your card arrives in the mail.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 2:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Planning all of my 'first week' activities and didn't want to get into a 'deadly embrace' with car purchase / rental vs licence exchange!
In BC there is a grace period, 90 days IIRC, before you must exchange your license. It was quite a long time ago but I was able to rent, then buy and insure a car using my UK license. It might be worth finding out if the same applies to Ontario these days. If so, it is one less thing you have to do in your hectic first week.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 5:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's 60 days for Ontario.

https://www.drivetest.ca/licences/li..._exchange.html

Don't forget to obtain proof of no claims before you come over. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...surance-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 7th 2016 at 5:22 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK great - so maybe that's the driving licences off of the 'week 1' list!
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

When do you arrive?

I have just posted elsewhere that I think you will have an issue swapping your UK license unless you have proof of Ontario address.

But in answer - You get licensed to drive there and then and your actual license comes through the mail a few weeks later

Even worse when we first arrived in Manitoba. It took us over a week running around everywhere to get insurance and registration for a car we had bought because we didn't have a Canadian License and couldn't get a licence because we didn't have proof of Canadian address.

Easy when you know how and where you are - But a nightmare for a new comer who had no idea of the geography and dealing with the typical Canadian "Well obviously" comments

Last edited by J-A-UK; Dec 19th 2016 at 3:29 am. Reason: Added a few words
Old Dec 19th 2016, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
When do you arrive?

I have just posted elsewhere that I think you will have an issue swapping your UK license unless you have proof of Ontario address.

But in answer - You get licensed to drive there and then and your actual license comes through the mail a few weeks later

Even worse when we first arrived in Manitoba. It took us over a week running around everywhere to get insurance and registration for a car we had bought because we didn't have a Canadian License and couldn't get a licence because we didn't have proof of Canadian address.

Easy when you know how and where you are - But a nightmare for a new comer who had no idea of the geography and dealing with the typical Canadian "Well obviously" comments

Thanks JAUK

We hope to arrive June 2017.

Good point about 'proof of address'. We were / are going to stay with my buddy for a few weeks max, so I will download an Ontario rental agreement template and draw up a formal agreement between us and use that as proof of address.

I can 'use it' as a ruse for actually paying him some money, which I know he would refuse to accept otherwise!

The thread elsewhere explained the process a lot better for me, so I now have a pretty good idea.

Thanks all as usual!!
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you need glasses to drive make sure you take your glasses with you. In BC they do an eye test when you exchange.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Really? But it's 2016 - almost 2017! Here in Maryland, you get your license right away - whether you're replacing, exchanging or have just passed your driving test. They take your photo and a machine produces the new licence in a matter of minutes.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Really? But it's 2016 - almost 2017! Here in Maryland, you get your license right away - whether you're replacing, exchanging or have just passed your driving test. They take your photo and a machine produces the new licence in a matter of minutes.

100% - Paper, proof of application then plastic card comes in the mail (Ontario)
Old Dec 20th 2016, 4:28 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It is a bit odd isn't it! Popped over to Maine a few months back and my gf opened a TD account while there. Rather than the usual "temp access card" I was expecting, they printed a proper access card in the branch.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

fatdad is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there. When you go to the driving Centre they will give you a paper Licence until your new one arrives in post. You don't have to resit a driving test. You will have to have an eye test at the centre. very straightforward. Trouble is your uk licence is gone so when your back home you use your Canadian one. Expect vehicle insurance to be high. They class you as new driver. Bummer.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Paz7 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say 'exchange' UK licence for Canadian - do they literally take your UK licence for good?
Sounds like I'd have an issue if I ever wanted to drive in the UK again (as I visited etc?!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.